Radio checks why oh why

JumbleDuck

Visit site
BTW since there's apparently no direction finding equipment now there is really no risk of comeback if you feel like interjecting next time there has been a spate of them: "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU STOP DOING BLOODY RADIO CHECKS ON CHANNEL 16 YOU POMPOUS WINDBAGS" CG might not publicly thank you but I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
Wouldn't it be more fun to reply "Your signal is very weak and broken up", while crumpling up a couple of crisp packets next to the microphone?

Visit site
Be thankful you don’t have to deal with a constant chorus of animal impressions, followed by the inevitable “Fillipeeeenohhh monkeee !!!“ which resonates around the large commercial anchorages of the world.
In aviation , we have an organisation known as “The Guard Police” who will inform anyone - including genuine distress calls, within a microsecond of transmission on 121.5 MHz that they are “ON GUARD!!!”

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Be thankful you don’t have to deal with a constant chorus of animal impressions, followed by the inevitable “Fillipeeeenohhh monkeee !!!“ which resonates around the large commercial anchorages of the world.
In aviation , we have an organisation known as “The Guard Police” who will inform anyone - including genuine distress calls, within a microsecond of transmission on 121.5 MHz that they are “ON GUARD!!!”
Yes, 'Minky minky' is a common one; also I've often heard something like, ' Diddikoy diddikoy', it can't be the same as the word used here for gypsies presumably, so it must mean something unforgiveable in Filipino..I wish the Solent was as colourful..

lustyd

Visit site
In theory, yes, but really no not at all. If there's someone right next to you feeding the app with data then just as I said earlier it proves nothing at all. VHF sets work just fine locally even without an antenna (as said, they might in theory get damaged, although usually don't) so whatever your testing regime you just need to be sure that the reveiving set it at least several miles away, with an app you can technically find that info. A marina you're in is a terrible test, as is an unknown AIS receiving station (the apps are fed from many sources). It's possible the AIS receiver is 5 miles away, in which case you've proved that a single digital packet which has error correction built in made it 5 miles. That says nothing of your ability to communicate with analogue voice.

doug748

Visit site
Wouldn't it be more fun to reply "Your signal is very weak and broken up", while crumpling up a couple of crisp packets next to the microphone?

An interesting suggestion. Radio malfunction. what would they do next?

Telephone the Coastguard, set off an Epirb, go to the pub, go home? Or set off anyway, like the rest of us, with the bloody thing switched off. :)

Bi111ion

Visit site
Why does the coastgaurd answer all those requests for radio checks on channel 16. I was always told it was the emergency channel. I'm afraid that I'm no longer keeping a watch because of that. Very naughty I know but in the solent its constant and very annoying. Please ask someone else to check your sets if you have to. I never do there is always a marina on 80...?

Have a look over your course notes for your SRC or other radio qualification. There is a good reason regular radio checks are a recmmended part of GMDSS. Practically coax and plugs corrode on small boats, and you might be able to reach the marina but what matters is you can contact the CG at some distance.

Adios

Visit site
Have a look over your course notes for your SRC or other radio qualification. There is a good reason regular radio checks are a recmmended part of GMDSS. Practically coax and plugs corrode on small boats, and you might be able to reach the marina but what matters is you can contact the CG at some distance.
Sounds like a confession

Rappey

Visit site
Would the ones that do a radio check every time they go on their boat also do a life jacket test?
I've never asked for a radio check. If I'm hearing from a reasonable distance then it's more than likely I'm also transmitting ?
We often go out with 3 boats. At 1.5 miles I could barely hear one boat on his handheld.
The other boat was at 3 miles yet said he heard him fine.
Time to replace my 27 year old antenna and coax !
Going with rg214 this time around. Will be interesting to see the difference over rg58

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Sounds like a confession
A 'confession'? Are you suggesting that there is something wrong with making a radio check?
Joking aside I often do so, in fact whenever I feel like it. (My chosen method and channel is another question.)
If every yacht and gin palace tested their radio today, I bet 5-10% would have some kind of potentially dangerous fault.
Please everybody, test your installations now!

Adios

Visit site
If every yacht and gin palace tested their radio today, I bet 5-10% would have some kind of potentially dangerous fault.
Please everybody, test your installations now!
Is receiving range of an installed set the same as or an indication of transmitting range? Same antenna connection anyway. So if you can pick up a distant CG station replying when the pompus windbags do their thing and your marina was able to hear you earlier in the day its most likely there is nothing wrong with your set?