Radio checks why oh why

lustyd

Visit site
radio checks are classed as routine traffic, so pretty much everyone on this thread mentioned it ;)

lustyd

Visit site
Well...no, if you have a message for the Coastguard in the NMOC area and you're not on a ship then call them on 67. If you have an emergency then 16.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
16 is the calling channel, partly because everyone listens to 16. Do you switch your listening channel from 16 to 67 if you're passing though the Solent?

lustyd

Visit site
No but I do if I call someone whose published calling channel is not 16. Your image clearly shows 67 as coastguard. I’d also switch to 11 for QHM wouldn’t you?

Turnbuckle

Visit site
All you need to do is let the coasties know when you are leaving port,type of boat, number of persons on board, ETA. If they don't answer your radio is duff.
Does anyone actually do this? I've never done it, and I've never heard anyone do it. What happens if you forget to report arrival?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Does anyone actually do this? I've never done it, and I've never heard anyone do it. What happens if you forget to report arrival?
I don't think many people do it, which is lucky; the understaffed CG would be swamped with the info.
Remember CG66, the HMCG office workers had to keep up with it in their spare time, and there have been further cuts since then.
Any late/non arrivals didn't get queried, and given the nature of our free and easy maritime culture ('the winds veered, let's nip over to Belgium' etc) I hope they never do. If you want an eye keeping on you, ask specifically and they will be happy to oblige.