Pump wiring problem

mcanderson

Visit site
So my bilge pump ran dry and seized. So I have a replacement but when I wired it in it won’t turn on. Nada nothing. I have power to the pump, the pump works when connected direct to a battery, but just won’t work off the wiring. Help I am going mad!!

gery w

Visit site
Measure the voltage at the pump with it connected and switched on, my guess is the voltage measured will be significantly less than 12v.
If this is the case you have a high resistance contact somewhere, probably the switch.

Seastoke

Visit site
Yes leave the pump connected and start at the beginning ie fuse is voltage good then switch etc , do not go diving in and pulling things to bits , do it logically. Good luck

mcanderson

Visit site
Sorry, I might not of been clear. With the pump connected and the rocker switch set to manual the voltage at the pump drops from 12 to 0. Any starters on how to test the switch?

Seastoke

Visit site
Sorry, I might not of been clear. With the pump connected and the rocker switch set to manual the voltage at the pump drops from 12 to 0. Any starters on how to test the switch?
is there voltage to the switch both sides if so it’s further on but remember you might be losing the negative not the positive , so if testing at switch try and use the neg from the pump.

Seastoke

Visit site
As an extra thought , if the manual switch and the float don’t work it has to be the negative as they both would not fail together.

Portofino

Visit site
So my bilge pump ran dry and seized. So I have a replacement but when I wired it in it won’t turn on. Nada nothing. I have power to the pump, the pump works when connected direct to a battery, but just won’t work off the wiring. Help I am going mad!!
Why did it keep running to destroy itself ?
Why didn’t it switch off and save itself ?

mcanderson

Visit site
How would I know? I wasn’t in the boat at the time. I am surmising that is what happened as a boat neighbour said he heard the pump running he thinks during one of my many absences.

Portofino

Visit site
How would I know? I wasn’t in the boat at the time. I am surmising that is what happened as a boat neighbour said he heard the pump running he thinks during one of my many absences.
General investigation and diagnostic analysis, because the reason i reckon may be related to the predicament you are in now = a switching problem …..from the info gleaned thus far from my arm chair .

I would want NOW to know get behind what killed the other , when the new is wired in doesn’t work .

As you infer if the replacement was a plug n play ( which it isn’t you tell us ) then why waist neurones knowing .I get that .
But you are in a different place .

I mean from my arm chair if the dash switch was on auto and the pump turned on , then has extended running , the heat the amps draw fused the switch plates inside , knackered it ? So it jammed on ? = killed the original pump .
Hence the new pumps not behaving itself when given commands from said switch ……that kinda thing .If so = new switch and or wiring of sufficient grade to cope ?

Last edited: