Portable suitcase generators

asteven221

Visit site
The Honda models have always been the best and most quiet. I like the idea of using one on the boat but the noise levels have always stopped me buying one. A bit of googling suggests that there are now quieter models on the market at less than 59db. Has anyone got experience of using one at that noise level? Is it quiet enough to run on a boat without being a nuisance to everyone around?

Helidan

Visit site
I had the idea of installing one in my engine bay, got loads of room for one. Would just need an exhaust extension. I'll likely just stick with inverter and a decent leisure battery & solar charge.

Bouba

Visit site
I don’t know about newer models but I do have a Honda 2kw....make sure the sound levels are taken at flat out...because they are very quiet until they are under load...and at only 2000w it doesn’t take much load to make them run at full pelt...in fact just recharging the boats batteries in the background will take a lot of that 2000w

Norman_E

Visit site
Be very suspicious of db claims. Firstly how far away were measurements taken? and how fast was the generator running? The only real way to compare generators is to see and hear them on full load.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I don’t know about newer models but I do have a Honda 2kw....make sure the sound levels are taken at flat out...because they are very quiet until they are under load...and at only 2000w it doesn’t take much load to make them run at full pelt...in fact just recharging the boats batteries in the background will take a lot of that 2000w

Although they're much quieter than open framed ones, they're still unsociable! We've had a Honda 20i for many years but only occasionally used these days. It's quiet on lowest revs charging batteries through 40 amp charger but, anything like heating water, it's very noisy. Even on low revs battery charging, it can just be heard about 100m away if no wind or background noise so I certainly wouldn't use it during evenings except in an emergency. Folks with more modern models make about the same noise so, as already said above, don't believe the sales pitch.

Bouba

Visit site
Although they're much quieter than open framed ones, they're still unsociable! We've had a Honda 20i for many years but only occasionally used these days. It's quiet on lowest revs charging batteries through 40 amp charger but, anything like heating water, it's very noisy. Even on low revs battery charging, it can just be heard about 100m away if no wind or background noise so I certainly wouldn't use it during evenings except in an emergency. Folks with more modern models make about the same noise so, as already said above, don't believe the sales pitch.
That is also my experience...not only that but while you might find that when it’s placed in your garden a few meters from your house, it might be tolerable....when you put it on something echoey and boomy and close up like a boat...it makes a whole new level of noise

asteven221

Visit site
I see what you mean about looking at the manufacturers specs. I thought the Honda was being surpassed by sub 59dB generators, but I then read for the Honda CU10i,
  • 52dB(a) at 7m @ 1/4 load
The 1/4 load being the reason it's 52dB.

It is almost impossible to try every one at any load, never mind full load, so I will try and gather the specs together and see what if anything can be concluded from that.

In the past we have had a good sized generator built in on our motorboat and really miss it on our current yacht. For me the generator takes away the equivalent of range anxiety with an electric car. With our generator we could go back to the boat (from the pub) on a cold night and put on everything. Lights, heaters, immerser, telly.. The lot, without any concern over batteries and we can do this every night for as long as we wanted. Significantly, it was really quiet so it didn't bother anyone which is important to me - and them!

Despite having 420ah of batteries and a 240v invertor, (which I am reluctant to use much), I am always apprehensive about running domestic equipment whilst on a mooring, especially after the first night. As a consequence we ration it, which is fine, but it would be much more fine if we didn't have to ration it or even think about it - hence I want a generator! Building one in is a big project, which I don't really fancy doing. so I was thinking that a small suitcase style generator, could at least solve my range anxiety problem.

Bouba

Visit site
I see what you mean about looking at the manufacturers specs. I thought the Honda was being surpassed by sub 59dB generators, but I then read for the Honda CU10i,

It is almost impossible to try every one at any load, never mind full load, so I will try and gather the specs together and see what if anything can be concluded from that.

In the past we have had a good sized generator built in on our motorboat and really miss it on our current yacht. For me the generator takes away the equivalent of range anxiety with an electric car. With our generator we could go back to the boat (from the pub) on a cold night and put on everything. Lights, heaters, immerser, telly.. The lot, without any concern over batteries and we can do this every night for as long as we wanted. Significantly, it was really quiet so it didn't bother anyone which is important to me - and them!

Despite having 420ah of batteries and a 240v invertor, (which I am reluctant to use much), I am always apprehensive about running domestic equipment whilst on a mooring, especially after the first night. As a consequence we ration it, which is fine, but it would be much more fine if we didn't have to ration it or even think about it - hence I want a generator! Building one in is a big project, which I don't really fancy doing. so I was thinking that a small suitcase style generator, could at least solve my range anxiety problem.
Everyone thinks exactly like you...in fact so did I ...but the noise...echoing around the bay in the morning was horrific...other boats were literally begging me to stop...some applauded when I did....I went on the Internet and tried various fixes...I made a wooden tent out of triangles with foil backing...there will be people here that will tell you they have a suitcase genny and they are perfectly happy how it’s whisper quiet....but I installed an Onan

ylop

Visit site
59 dB is background music level of noise. OK with music of your own choosing, irritating with engine noise, even worse if its someone else's boat.
What do you plan to use it for? For occasional use, something like a bluetti might be more pleasant.

asteven221

Visit site
I have never heard of a Bluetti, so googled it. Looks very interesting. A fancy battery back but promises a lot and could be a good solution. I am not sure if it is a backup for the batteries on the boat, or a
limited replacement for a generator. Would adding more and better batteries not offer much the same?

Reactions: vas

ylop

Visit site
I have never heard of a Bluetti, so googled it. Looks very interesting. A fancy battery back but promises a lot and could be a good solution. I am not sure if it is a backup for the batteries on the boat, or a
limited replacement for a generator. Would adding more and better batteries not offer much the same?
yes - but It’s Lithium without needing to switch your whole boat to Li. It’s also portable enough to take home to charge. And it has charger and inverter professionally wired in - so probably less worry about loads, voltage drop etc. If you want a generator to charge your Pb/acid batteries it’s probably not a good choice. If it’s to have spare capacity it might be. If it’s to have better 240v it might be. If it’s to be able to move a power source right where you need it like you can with a suitcase genny it may well be what you need.

there are competitors.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
With our generator we could go back to the boat (from the pub) on a cold night and put on everything. Lights, heaters, immerser, telly.. The lot, without any concern over batteries and we can do this every night for as long as we wanted. Significantly, it was really quiet so it didn't bother anyone which is important to me - and them!

Despite having 420ah of batteries and a 240v invertor, (which I am reluctant to use much), I am always apprehensive about running domestic equipment whilst on a mooring, especially after the first night.

Have you thought of fitting solar panels? We can run the boat summer or winter (not UK) on mooring or anchor with 320w of solar without upsetting neighbours by running the generator. Kettle used for heating water rather than immersion and in summer can use camping showers. All interior lights are led and we charge computers, tablets etc. during day when we have excess power. LED 24" TV only draws 18w through small inverter in evenings.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I had the idea of installing one in my engine bay, got loads of room for one. Would just need an exhaust extension. I'll likely just stick with inverter and a decent leisure battery & solar charge.
Exhaust modifications are potentially lethal, steer well clear of that idea. I recall fatalities on a boat (in the Lakes IIRC) where an exhaust extension had failed then leaked CO.

Helidan

Visit site

How many watts was your generator? I assume it was a fairly beefy one?

Elessar

Visit site
The key is getting an inverter generator as they run at variable revs. They are quiet at low load because they are running slowly. Other generators run at a constant speed to give 50 hz and are a no no. A 20 will be quieter than a 10 at say 800 watts load for the same reason - lower revs.

The advantages of the Honda and their copies (and I’ve never found one as good) is that they have a pull start and are completely self sufficient.

Before I had a generator in the boat I had one which I put on the bathing platform and just plugged into the shore power inlet. Perfect for emergency use and as simple as you can get.

Disadvantages.
Have to carry petrol.
CO in petrol exhaust V high. Make sure you have alarms. You don’t know where it might get in.
Really is emergency or daytime use only because the noise does carry.
The engine is air cooled as is the exhaust so any thought of building it in has challenges to overcome. I wouldn’t do it.
Very very nickable. Had a car smashed to take one of mine.