Portable suitcase generators

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Often a lesser sentence than for murder if he doesn't shut it up ;)

I can't understand what all the fuss is about using generator on deck, we've done it occasionally for 30 years. I the boat swings or wind shifts, the exhaust fumes can be smelled long before they can become a danger.

That isn't always the case Graham. The incident i mentioned above, where the Co alarm went off, i could not smell any exhaust fumes.

There are several cases of people dying onboard boats due to Co poisoning, i doubt that they were sitting in smoke/fume filled cabins.

Of course, it is important that everyone fits a Co alarm. No good saying you don't need one because you don't have anything onboard that could give off Co, someone could arrive in the night and moor a petrol engined boat beside you and leave it running, for instance.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Be very suspicious of db claims. Firstly how far away were measurements taken? and how fast was the generator running? The only real way to compare generators is to see and hear them on full load.
There is a standard set, somewhere, perhaps by California State Legislature.
Edit: As it happens, a notificatio of a sale of generators popped into my inbox this morning, and hence I discovered that the noise emissions are routinely measured at a distance of seven metres, see in the link below:
Draper 95196 Petrol Inverter Generator, 1000w | MicksGarage

Last edited:

Grith

Visit site
Hi Bouba
Yes I agree but there is a long way still to go with batteries and electric powered vehicles and electric/ battery solutions generally. Whilst we have fitted 9.25kw of rooftop solar panels on our house to lower our carbon footprint we still tow our 3.2 ton trailer sailer with its big petrol outboard with our 3 litre turbo diesel truck with slide on truck camper mounted on the tray. No electric substitute to this setup is currently available with the thousands of miles travelling and towing distances in Australia.
I also have a Torqeedo 1003 auxiliary on my trailer sailer to supplement my big petrol outboard which then also is our dingy engine but it needs our Honda eu2.2 petrol generator to recharge its batteries when extended cruising as our 600w of solar panels on the yacht cannot keep up with our usage demands. We are also trialling electric lawn mowing, brush cutting, woodcutting and battery operated tools here at home x given our surplus electricity generation currently which is just making our electricity supplier money.
I read with interest those converting their sailing craft and powerboats to electric engines but think battery technology has a way to go yet before it is capable of totally replacing internal combustion engines for those of us doing very long distance travelling and cruising.:)
PS We have recently retired to one of the two states in Australia with no large fossil fuel electricity generation being South Australia using mainly solar and wind whilst the other Tasmania uses primarily hydro and exports its surplus power to the national grid.
By choosing to move to a significantly cheaper rural location ( despite being waterfront with its own jetty) to retire we understand we are so fortunate in being able to use some of the generated surplus funds to explore many of these interesting possibilities.
In summary I feel government restrictions to the use of fossil fuel engines are potentially premature and not accounting for full lifecycle costings at this time.

GHA

Visit site
but think battery technology has a way to go yet before it is capable of totally replacing internal combustion engines for those of us doing very long distance travelling and cruising.:)
Disagree, the tech is fine, very well suited to long distance cruising boats. The problem is more than it is very technical and hasn't really been dumbed down enough yet for the average cruiser, the majority of who don't actually have much of a handle on any kind of batteries.

Uma have been doing it for years, now with regen from their saildrive.

Big job & expensive but the tech is all there and it all works fine. Most cruisers just don't have heads which understand it, plug n play could be a good way off if ever to go the whole hog for the average cruiser.

Grith

Visit site
Disagree, the tech is fine, very well suited to long distance cruising boats. The problem is more than it is very technical and hasn't really been dumbed down enough yet for the average cruiser, the majority of who don't actually have much of a handle on any kind of batteries.

Uma have been doing it for years, now with regen from their saildrive.

Big job & expensive but the tech is all there and it all works fine. Most cruisers just don't have heads which understand it, plug n play could be a good way off if ever to go the whole hog for the average cruiser.

You just might get away with going fully electric in on a cruising yacht in some regions but try towing a heavy load with an electric vehicle on land to see why I made that statement about the technology not being quite there to do away with ICE just yet.
An equivalent sized powerboat to their yacht is also going to struggle going fully electric and be able to cruise any significant distance or effectively recharge yet.
When you can see long distance heavy haulage trucks moving to electric engines then I think we will have mastered the technology.
A long distance cruising yacht like theirs is still just replacing hundreds/ thousands of years of sailing craft that had no engines at all.:)