Port Solent

Leisure 27

Visit site
I am thinking of applying for a berth at Port Solent. What is it like. How difficult is it in out and to the .Solent low water. Is lock ok singlehanded. Ft

newtothis

Visit site
thinking of applying for a berth at Port Solent. What is it like. How difficult is it in out and to the .Solent low water. Is
I've only been in there a couple of times, and that a while back. Memories are that it can be quite shallow on the way to the lock and once inside the parking would make sardines grateful for the space they get in their tins.

ashtead

Visit site
I think it’s fine if you draw say2m if you don’t want low tide access. Real pain is not being able to escape through the lock due to booking system on a Saturday summer morning. The actual centre has become a tad tatty recently but if you fit a cheap residents berth might be a saving on what’s ogoing on offer elsewhere if you don’t mid the trek down to Portsmouth harbour mouth.

Skylark

Visit site
For an fairly average 2m draft, Portchester Lake is inaccessible on a big Spring low but it’s generally not a big deal for access. From memory, the shallow bit is 0.8m and the bottom is soft mud.

The lock is well serviced with cleats and lines at a convenience height. Like all single handing, planning and preparation is key. It can get busy and sometimes a late change of side is called for.

Visit site
we have just left port solent. No real issues with low water. The wait times for the lock in and out can be tedious in a busy bank holiday weekend with maybe an hour wait or so for the lock. On the plus side it's very sheltered from any sort of blow

My own view of the bars and restaurants mean that I don't like them, and i think the marina is fairly sterile , so it's good to come from port solent and sail somewhere nice than have port solent as an option for a desination .

it's possible to sublet a private berth for much less than the main rate by looking at the estate agents Marina Life Homes - give them a ring and express an interest - less than £300 pm for an 11m berth

bdh198

Visit site
I am thinking of applying for a berth at Port Solent. What is it like. How difficult is it in out and to the .Solent low water. Is lock ok singlehanded. Ft

We had a 1.95 meter draft boat at Port Solent for three years and never had an issue crossing Portchester Lake (going between the lock and the Solent) at low water. It can get busy on peak weekends through the lock, but we’ve never had to wait longer than one full lock cycle. The lock is operated 24 hours so this gives opportunities to avoid the really busy periods by leaving early morning or returning late evening. In three years we rarely had to wait longer than 20 minutes, and most of the time we could go straight in on the next free lock. If you’re single handed then someone from the harbour office will be more than happy to take your lines and help you come alongside in the lock, although I’ve seen plenty of singlehanded sailors comfortably manage it without help. Inside the lock it is very sheltered which helps if you have to do a last minute manoeuvre.

Sadlerfin

Visit site

Been there 4 years now and like it (except the cost)
Lock is easy now with lines to take on board I do go in and out single handed and they will always come down to help if you ask
Yes, queues summer Sat out and Sun return but you can book when on your boat.
Very sheltered in a blow
I draw 1.85 never had a problem even on a low spring the shallow part is between the moored yachts before the entrance, however, it's soft mud so no issues.
Staff very good service level high.
If you are on one of their berths you have a Portsmouth contract so can over night at Gosport as and when so we often stay there Sun night come back Monday.
Also get 40 plus night at any other Premier marinas which we use when we can.
The trip up from the Solent gives time to sort the boat out and avoids the drive from Gosport to Fareham.

Delbuoy.

Leisure 27

Visit site
Lock is easy now with lines to take on board I do go in and out single handed and they will always come down to help if you ask
Very sheltered in a blow
I draw 1.85 never had a problem even on a low spring the shallow part is between the moored yachts before the entrance, however, it's soft mud so no issues.
If you are on one of their berths you have a Portsmouth contract so can over night at Gosport as and when so we often stay there Sun night come back Monday.
The trip up from the Solent gives time to sort the boat out and avoids the drive from Gosport to Fareham.

Delbuoy.
Very sheltered in a blow

Delbuoy.
Very sheltered in a blow

Delbuoy.
Thanks for your reply. So on top of the 42 nights free in Premier marinas can I get free nights in Gosport. What is the Portsmouth contract.

Leisure 27

Visit site
Oh Dear Are the pontoons really thin. I hate that
I've only been in there a couple of times, and that a while back. Memories are that it can be quite shallow on the way to the lock and once inside the parking would make sardines grateful for the space they get in their tins.

nicho

Visit site
We had a 1.95 meter draft boat at Port Solent for three years and never had an issue crossing Portchester Lake (going between the lock and the Solent) at low water. It can get busy on peak weekends through the lock, but we’ve never had to wait longer than one full lock cycle. The lock is operated 24 hours so this gives opportunities to avoid the really busy periods by leaving early morning or returning late evening. In three years we rarely had to wait longer than 20 minutes, and most of the time we could go straight in on the next free lock. If you’re single handed then someone from the harbour office will be more than happy to take your lines and help you come alongside in the lock, although I’ve seen plenty of singlehanded sailors comfortably manage it without help. Inside the lock it is very sheltered which helps if you have to do a last minute manoeuvre.
The lock keepers will always help with taking your lines when single handed if you ask when calling up. The lock is not really a problem except for bank holidays, and it is big enough to take 6/8 medium size boats. We love Port Solent, and having some reasonable restaurants within a couple of minutes walk is great. There is a Tesco Extra just around the corner for supplies. There is an arrangement with Gosport Marina that allows you to place your boat there for the summer, subject to space of course. It is also the cheapest “big two” marinas in the Solent area.

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. So on top of the 42 nights free in Premier marinas can I get free nights in Gosport. What is the Portsmouth contract.
Yes we visit Gosport regularly, When we signed up we were offered a permanent berth at either marina with the options of visiting the other without using the 42 nights subject to availability of course. Mark the manager is very approachable I'm sure he can take you through it.,
Personally I prefer the berths nearer the lock away form the bars etc, am on E 8 come and say hi if you sign up.

Delbuoy (Derek)

bdh198

Visit site
The lock keepers will always help with taking your lines when single handed if you ask when calling up. The lock is not really a problem except for bank holidays, and it is big enough to take 6/8 medium size boats. We love Port Solent, and having some reasonable restaurants within a couple of minutes walk is great. There is a Tesco Extra just around the corner for supplies. There is an arrangement with Gosport Marina that allows you to place your boat there for the summer, subject to space of course. It is also the cheapest “big two” marinas in the Solent area.

There is also the well stocked Marine Superstore on site, but that can be a serious risk to a healthy wallet if you go there just for a browse.

Leisure 27

Visit site
OK , thanks for your replys. My plan now is to have a long summer holiday in the Solent and then make a decision. I had a great summer cruise in the solent 2019 but was storm bound for 15 days. I am at Plymouth Yacht Haven at the moment. It is great to go out any tide and lots of deep water. But I have sailed here for 30 years and would like a new adventure. Premiers 42 nights is appealing as is the french coast being closer and the abundance of all those ports.

Tomaret

Visit site
Whilst visiting the Solent, check out WicorMarine on the way up the Harbour towards Farnham - walkashore all tide alongside pontoon moorings and no lock to negotiate and about the same distance to the Harbour mouth as PS.

Leisure 27

Visit site
we have just left port solent. No real issues with low water. The wait times for the lock in and out can be tedious in a busy bank holiday weekend with maybe an hour wait or so for the lock. On the plus side it's very sheltered from any sort of blow

My own view of the bars and restaurants mean that I don't like them, and i think the marina is fairly sterile , so it's good to come from port solent and sail somewhere nice than have port solent as an option for a desination .

it's possible to sublet a private berth for much less than the main rate by looking at the estate agents Marina Life Homes - give them a ring and express an interest - less than £300 pm for an 11m berth
Sounds really good