Pilot Book Ireland and Scotland

Boh999

Visit site
Hi!

Sailing back from the Caribbean soon and plan to arrive in southern Ireland around 10th of June. Need pilot books for Ireland and Scotland (including Caledonian Canal). We plan to sail via southern and western Ireland and on to Caledonian Canal through Scotland, and then back to Scandinavia.

Finding two pilot books here, makes me confused:
https://www.bookharbour.com/cruising-ireland
https://www.bookharbour.com/south-and-west-coasts-of-ireland-sailing-directions

If we decide to sail the east coast of Ireland, the latter one would be rather limiting, would have to buy more books.

Is the book for entire Ireland good enough? And is this the best pilot book?

Would like to visit Skellig Island. I guess mooring is out of the question there? Remember taking a fishing boat from Portmagee 20 years ago. We waited in a pub until a skipper showed up and payed him, not so much. The offical landing tours seem to cost 100 Eur/person which is too expensive. Is the unofficial way we did it still possible?

Does anybody have a tip for a good pilot book on Scotland as well? We won't head straight into the Caledonian Canal. Weather permitting, we would like to visit some islands by the Scottish west coast before sailing into the canal.

Thanks,

lpdsn

Visit site
The ICC sailing directions for Ireland are substantial volumes, with a lots of detail. I've not seen the single volume but I guess it is half the detail at most. It really depends upon what you want to do. The W coast one would be more essential, IMHO. You can sail the east coast without one unless you intend to try a few small drying harbours and go into Strangford Lough, although you'd be missing out if you avoided the latter.

The Clyde Cruising Club covers the west coast of Scotland in four volumes. As books they're less impressive ring bound volumes, but they have a reasonable amount of detail. You'd just need two if heading straight for the Caledonian Canal and to be honest you could skip the Clyde one if you can hold a chart the right way up.

The Skelligs are famous now and have been on Star Wars, so you'll be paying the price.

Boh999

Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for that. This is a wee bit tricky. We need charts and pilot books. Navionics for the Raymarine plotter will add up to +600 USD for the passage. Looking into Seapilot app instead. And complement it with paper charts.

Or (we have done this before, not recommended?):
Navionics app for region. Has the best tidal animations etc, what we used in Bretagne for example. Seldom checked Reeds.
Backup: seapilot app.
Skip paper charts altogether.

Or.
Navionics app as main means of navigation (including tidal stuff). Papers charts as backup.
Pros: won’t have to buy SeaPilot charts. Plus I don’t like that app.
Cons: none?

What we want to do is head for Ireland after the Azores. I realise Cork is a bit up the East Coast so maybe moor near Baltimore after the passage? (Admit I don’t really know, need to check the pilot book). Then head up the west coast. Are the mooring fees high in Ireland? Would like to anchor also. From what I remember being in Ireland 2002-2004, there are nice bays, so maybe possible.

Once in Donegal area, would like to go to Isle of Islay. I guess you’re right that it’s unnecessary to buy a bunch of Scottish pilots when going into the canal. We would like to stay in the archipelago outside the canal a few days.

Buy # 2: ”Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” only? What about the actual canal itself? Need a book for it?

For Ireland - do you think this book will do:

Can you day anchor or moor at the pier at Skellig, please?

If anybody want to trade charts or sell, please send a PM! We got Navionics Sourh America/Caribbean from 2018 in SD/MSD format, and Western Europe, without UK/Ireland/Denmark/Norway but pretty much the rest to sail all the way to the Canary Island. Plus paper charts.

Last edited:

Minchsailor

Visit site
For west coast of Ireland, you will definitely need the ICC pilot - this will take you as far as Bloody Foreland (Donegal). Rather irritatingly, this leaves a bit of coast before you can head for the SW coast of Scotland, but you can probably cover this with on-line resources, such as www.visitmyharbour.com

As to costs - not so many marinas in that part of the world, so costs will be low.

For Ireland/W Scotland the Imray charts are perfectly OK for a passage making, and have insets of the more popular harbours.
and 'tricky' bits. Not too expensive.

To get to the Caledonian Canal you WILL need the CCC pilot Mull of Kintyre to Ardnumachan, as there is some interesting navigation with significant tidal gates. Watch the tides between the NE tip of Ireland and Mull of Kintyre/Islay (North Channel).

You don't need anything special for the Caledonian Canal itself - the canal office will provide you with a guide as part of the transit.

scottie

Visit site
Was going say Try Boatie app good for tidal streams etc
But it’s gone walk about
You have just missed the charts you wanted which I have just sold for the NI to Hebrides

Boh999

Visit site
Thanks. I ordered:
CCC Sailing Directions: Kintyre to Ardnamurchan
Sailing Directions for the South & West Coasts of Ireland

As for charts, it’ll either be 4 x Imray charts for Southern and Western Ireland, possibly a fifth to cover Donegal - Caledonian Canal Entry.

And perhaps a 6th for the Inverness area.

Also, charts for Southern Norway and the tip of Jylland (Skagen) and further on towards Sweden, would be interesting. We’re considering to take the route Inverness - Kristiansand - Skagen - Sweden.

These charts I am interested in buying or trading pre-owned. We got many charts for the route English Channel - Biscay and so on.

We’re going to sail around southern Sweden, not through Göta Kanal (entering through Gothenburg). I got charts from County Skåne and onwards (counter-clockwise passage around Sweden).

We got a North Sea passage chart already, as we sailed there on the way here to the Caribbean, as we did the Kiel canal, Dutch channels and English channel so didn’t use it much.

lpdsn

Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for that. This is a wee bit tricky. We need charts and pilot books. Navionics for the Raymarine plotter will add up to +600 USD for the passage. Looking into Seapilot app instead. And complement it with paper charts.

Or (we have done this before, not recommended?):
Navionics app for region. Has the best tidal animations etc, what we used in Bretagne for example. Seldom checked Reeds.
Backup: seapilot app.
Skip paper charts altogether.

Or.
Navionics app as main means of navigation (including tidal stuff). Papers charts as backup.
Pros: won’t have to buy SeaPilot charts. Plus I don’t like that app.
Cons: none?

What we want to do is head for Ireland after the Azores. I realise Cork is a bit up the East Coast so maybe moor near Baltimore after the passage? (Admit I don’t really know, need to check the pilot book). Then head up the west coast. Are the mooring fees high in Ireland? Would like to anchor also. From what I remember being in Ireland 2002-2004, there are nice bays, so maybe possible.

Once in Donegal area, would like to go to Isle of Islay. I guess you’re right that it’s unnecessary to buy a bunch of Scottish pilots when going into the canal. We would like to stay in the archipelago outside the canal a few days.

Buy # 2: ”Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” only? What about the actual canal itself? Need a book for it?

For Ireland - do you think this book will do:

Can you day anchor or moor at the pier at Skellig, please?

If anybody want to trade charts or sell, please send a PM! We got Navionics Sourh America/Caribbean from 2018 in SD/MSD format, and Western Europe, without UK/Ireland/Denmark/Norway but pretty much the rest to sail all the way to the Canary Island. Plus paper charts.

Hi,

Cork is on the south coast. It's very sheltered and is the closest for transport links etc. Actually, Kinsale is more convenient for Cork Airport. Neither Crosshaven (in Cork Harbour) nor Kinsale are cheap.

Marinas in Ireland are extremely expensive I'm afraid. You'll be OK anchoring. That book will be great for the west coast. Once you reach Donegal you can head to Portrush or Port Ellen (Islay) or Rathlin or even shoot up towards Mull or Tiree. A website like visitmyharbour.com will give you info. Marina/moorings costs are substantially lower in Northern Ireland, but will go up a bit again as you get up to the touristy bits of Scotland.

Cheapest way to get UK&I charts is also through VMH. I run their charts on a Windows tablet and OpenCPN. It's about £35 for a full set of Admiralty covering Ireland and the UK. The Admiralty do the charts for Ireland, and there is no Irish national charting authority, but it is always worth checking the age of the source data (some areas are 19th century surveys) and the datum carefully - not all are WGS84 compatible.

The Admiralty also sell chart packs with 20 - 30 A2 sized charts (No coverage between Kerry & Lough Foyle though unfortunately). Buying them online and getting them posted out from Todd's at Bangor is the cheapest way I've found of getting them. Having them posted to me in Bangor Marina saved quite a few £'s as well as a few hundred yards' walk to their shop. :)

There's a chart pack that covers the canal and the NE coast of Scotland.

Imray charts are an alternative. They're not as good as Admiralty charts for intricate inshore stuff, but they're fine for passage making and the main harbours.

Gwylan

Visit site
Can offer you the Southern Ireland Cruising Companion, Robert Wilcox, Wiley. £10 plus postage.
Covers Shannon Estuary to St George's Channel. Effectively Kilrush to Kilmore Quay.

Current edition, purchased last year for our trip there. Unmarked.

P.m. me if it helps