Orca attack

stranded

Visit site
So if anything natural terrifies a human it must be destroyed.
There's another solution don't go there.
Exactly. I wonder how the risk compares with falling out of the dinghy or off the pontoon when coming back pissed from the pub.

It’s not a tragedy if someone decides to take a risk and loses the bet - that’s what makes many pastimes exciting. Wilfully exposing one’s children to such risks is a harder question but losing the bet is on the parents, not the orcas.

Mister E

Visit site
If several people get killed will you still have the same opinion?
Yes this problem has been going on for some time so people know the risks.
It is their choice to put themselves in harms way.
If people get eaten by sharks when swimming, do we kill all the sharks or tell people not to swim there?

Mister E

Visit site
Hackett has stated about going shooting.
The argument is not weak it is simple, don't put yourself in harms way if you don't like what happens.
We should not be killing everything that might hurt us.

geem

Visit site
If people get eaten by sharks when swimming, do we kill all the sharks or tell people not to swim there?
The area effected by orca attacks is massive. The most northerly attack was only 70nm south of the Isles of Scilly. The attacks happen all the way down the coast as far as Gibraltar. Its Impossible to avoid the area if you want to transit to the Med from northern Europe. Sailors don't encourage interaction with Orcas. Most of us are nature lovers. We do everything in our powers to not destroy nature. I would love it if fishing with nets everywhere in the world was banned. Trawlers are particularly destructive.
I suspect some tuna fishermen have had a bad interaction with the orcas that has made them aggressive. I would rather see the fisherman go than the orcas but rogue orcas cannot be allowed to create the huge problem they currently do.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In fact they will kill a shark or a crocodile or a lion or a tiger if they continue to kill and make it dangerous for people.

Laser310

Visit site
I suspect some tuna fishermen have had a bad interaction with the orcas that has made them aggressive.

I think it's impossible to know what made them adopt this behaviour.

But they are probably smart enough to know the difference between a yacht and a fishing boat.

For whatever reason, it seems that they just enjoy playing rough with yachts.

I have head of a few attacks on fishing boats, but not as many as on yachts. Probably fishing boats are harder to damage...

I am pretty sure that if the fishermen thought that the Orcas were endangering thier boats or their livelihood, they would take action to solve the problem, and we would never hear a word of it.

lusitano

Visit site
I think it's impossible to know what made them adopt this behaviour.

But they are probably smart enough to know the difference between a yacht and a fishing boat.

For whatever reason, it seems that they just enjoy playing rough with yachts.

I have head of a few attacks on fishing boats, but not as many as on yachts. Probably fishing boats are harder to damage...

I am pretty sure that if the fishermen thought that the Orcas were endangering thier boats or their livelihood, they would take action to solve the problem, and we would never hear a word of it.
On the subject of knowing the difference, Many of the International dinghy teams use Vilamoura in central Algarve as an over-winter training base. Most days there are literally hundreds of boats out, from Optimists to Dragons etc, and AFAIK there has not been a single incident. The boats are often circuit training and are miles off the coast sometimes.
Wonder if boat size is a factor ?