Orca attack

E39mad

Visit site
A Lagoon was also attacked recently with a German couple on board in the same area. There's a video on Youtube about it. The mature Orca appear to be teaching the young Orca (calfs?) how to attack the rudder.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I understand local yachts carry a large can of anti orca liquid on their boats. Not very environmentally friendly but less damage than clearing a broken boat from the rocks. If your voyage is completed without orca attacks, the liquid can then be used to power your engine ;)

RobbieW

Visit site

sailaboutvic

Visit site

nortada

Visit site
Thanks Robbie , it’s not good and not getting any better
The orcas have an annual migration pattern (following the blue tuna) so attacks on boats tend to follow this pattern. Anticipate as the year progresses the attacks will also migrate around the Iberian coast and possibly further north.

Knowledge of this migration pattern could reduce the risk of contact with orcas.

ashtead

Visit site
As posted recently I saw mention on the Bavaria owners website to rudder/damage/loss off Barbate. I seem to recall owner was Steve seeking a new rudder. Next week or so is annual Atun event there I believe

Rappey

Visit site
Knowledge of this migration pattern could reduce the risk of contact with orcas.
That might be a problem ?

Migration: Although orcas tend to aggregate in cold water, they live in all the world's oceans, from the Antarctic to the tropics. Unlike other whales that follow predictable seasonal migration patterns, orcas tend to go wherever their food source is, making their movement patterns much less predictable.

stranded

Visit site
That might be a problem ?

Migration: Although orcas tend to aggregate in cold water, they live in all the world's oceans, from the Antarctic to the tropics. Unlike other whales that follow predictable seasonal migration patterns, orcas tend to go wherever their food source is, making their movement patterns much less predictable.
But doesn’t their food follow predictable migration patterns, albeit changing ones as the oceans warm?

Wansworth

Visit site
From the pictures I have seen orcas attack larger mammals like whales in a pack coming from behind gradually slowing the whale down so maybe whales although intelligent in their own way could be trying to slow a boat down but realize it’s not eatable

stranded

Visit site
From the pictures I have seen orcas attack larger mammals like whales in a pack coming from behind gradually slowing the whale down so maybe whales although intelligent in their own way could be trying to slow a boat down but realize it’s not eatable
Sounds as plausible as any theory I have heard for why they started this behaviour. I suppose that from a orca point of view the rudder (and the keel - but that would be less fun) is the nearest thing on a boat to a whale’s fin. A lot of animal behaviour is reflexive rather than intellectual - guess that applies to Orcas too, so just a reflex hunting response? But they do seem to have a notable capacity to learn, eg the way some hunt seals on broken pack ice, so it would be surprising if they didn’t quickly learn that boats don’t taste good, yet they continue…

On the migration routes point, I was talking to a serious sports fisherman in Dartmouth a week or so ago who said that there are now “huge numbers” of big tuna off the coast of Cornwall and Devon each year - his biggest so far is c.800lb (estimated - he releases them but has a measuring scale on the side of his boat). He has just bought a bigger boat (! - but true) with twin whopper engines which can do 65mph+ (he wimped out before exploring the absolute max.) so that he can quickly get to where the big fish have been sighted. So would be almost surprising if the orca don’t follow…