Orca attack

nortada

Visit site
The area effected by orca attacks is massive. The most northerly attack was only 70nm south of the Isles of Scilly. The attacks happen all the way down the coast as far as Gibraltar. Its Impossible to avoid the area if you want to transit to the Med from northern Europe. Sailors don't encourage interaction with Orcas. Most of us are nature lovers. We do everything in our powers to not destroy nature. I would love it if fishing with nets everywhere in the world was banned. Trawlers are particularly destructive.
I suspect some tuna fishermen have had a bad interaction with the orcas that has made them aggressive. I would rather see the fisherman go than the orcas but rogue orcas cannot be allowed to create the huge problem they currently do.
This thread seems to be drifting away from a very real threat to innocent sailors around Iberia (and beyond) to the morality of possible solutions. The latter is not really relevant in this thread and is detracting from the former?

Possibly a discussion on the rights and wrongs of harming/killing orcas and any other potentially threatening life forms, would be more suitable in the lounge and leave this thread to report on the developing risk and possible solutions.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
T.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.t.tt.
This thread seems to be drifting away from a very real threat to innocent sailors around Iberia (and beyond) to the morality of possible solutions. The latter is not really relevant in this thread and is detracting from the former?

Possibly a discussion on the rights and wrongs of harming/killing orcas and any other potentially threatening life forms, would be more suitable in the lounge and leave this thread to report on the developing risk and possible

If its you I guarantee you will have no opinion🤣

GHA

Visit site
The Spanish government said so. I don't have a link so it must be wrong in.
From openai >

you are an expert in oceanography. is there evidence to show overfishing is having an impact on orca population in the eastern atlantic

As an AI language model, I do not have personal expertise, but I can provide you with information based on current scientific evidence.

Overfishing can have significant impacts on marine ecosystems and their biodiversity. While there is no direct evidence linking overfishing to the decline in the Eastern Atlantic orca population, it is a known threat to many of their prey species.

One of the primary prey species for orcas in the Eastern Atlantic is the bluefin tuna, which has been heavily overfished in recent years. Overfishing can lead to a decline in prey availability, which can have cascading effects throughout the food chain.

Additionally, bycatch (the unintentional capture of non-target species) is a significant threat to many marine mammals, including orcas. Overfishing can increase the amount of bycatch, which can further reduce the population of orcas.

Overall, while there is no direct evidence linking overfishing to the decline in the Eastern Atlantic orca population, it is clear that overfishing can have significant impacts on marine ecosystems and their biodiversity. Therefore, it is essential to manage fish populations sustainably to avoid harmful effects on the marine ecosystem and its species.

nortada

Visit site
Overfishing les prey.
It is possible to avoid the area thus avoid the problem.
Avoid the Iberian Peninsula - not really.

If over fishing is the cause, then, as fish stocks diminish further, hungry orcas may extend their area of predation and eating habits.

Possibly to the UK South Coast or heaven forbid, even the Solent. 🤔

Would this deminish or exacerbate this perceived problem, with boats increasingly becoming up market beach huts❓Demand for marina and mooring berths soars in UK.

Have the forerunners already arrived❓

Huge whale filmed off Kent coast 😱

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
From openai >

you are an expert in oceanography. is there evidence to show overfishing is having an impact on orca population in the eastern atlantic

As an AI language model, I do not have personal expertise, but I can provide you with information based on current scientific evidence.

Overfishing can have significant impacts on marine ecosystems and their biodiversity. While there is no direct evidence linking overfishing to the decline in the Eastern Atlantic orca population, it is a known threat to many of their prey species.

One of the primary prey species for orcas in the Eastern Atlantic is the bluefin tuna, which has been heavily overfished in recent years. Overfishing can lead to a decline in prey availability, which can have cascading effects throughout the food chain.

Additionally, bycatch (the unintentional capture of non-target species) is a significant threat to many marine mammals, including orcas. Overfishing can increase the amount of bycatch, which can further reduce the population of orcas.

Overall, while there is no direct evidence linking overfishing to the decline in the Eastern Atlantic orca population, it is clear that overfishing can have significant impacts on marine ecosystems and their biodiversity. Therefore, it is essential to manage fish populations sustainably to avoid harmful effects on the marine ecosystem and its species.
About the only substantial part of the above is the bit I have coloured red, the rest which may or may not be true is all assumption, can and perhaps with no substantive evidence to back it up.

capnsensible

Visit site
Overfishing les prey.
It is if you go there once in a lifetime and are passing through you can adjust your passage plan. But many thousands of people own vessels that are commercial. Fishermen. Sailors. Tour boat operators. Plus of course every harbour, too numerous to mention, is full of leisure craft. It's soo easy to sit back in an armchair with your keyboard and say stuff like that. For those directly involved it a whole different ballgame. Do try and understand that. For a total of 18 years I earned my living sailing small vessels in the Straits and the Bay of Cadiz. This orca stuff is a blight.

I have no idea where you work. But imagine a pack of wild dogs rampage through your workplace. Or through the park where you take walks with your family. What are you going to do? Not go to work? Go somewhere else to avoid the park you've used for years? How you gonna feel if I say get over it, they are just being playful when you get bitten, get rabies?

Please don't take this personally. Your thread has just given me a chance to speak out to all the others who live a thousand miles away and are completely disconnected offering unreasonable comment.

I ask those of similar mind to consider, for once, the impact on those directly affected and those who have every right to pass through unmolested. Rogue animals should be dealt with. No room left for bogus sentiment.....in my opinion.

Also be aware that regulation of fishermen is far more enforced than in previous decades. I've seen drastic reductions in the size of tuna traps in the Straits. Fewer Japanese refrigeration ships buying the catch. Quotas for Gib fishermen, yadda yadda. So people on site are very aware and take action. But orcas? Should be scared off or caught for food. Again, in my opinion.

Wansworth

Visit site
Well
It is if you go there once in a lifetime and are passing through you can adjust your passage plan. But many thousands of people own vessels that are commercial. Fishermen. Sailors. Tour boat operators. Plus of course every harbour, too numerous to mention, is full of leisure craft. It's soo easy to sit back in an armchair with your keyboard and say stuff like that. For those directly involved it a whole different ballgame. Do try and understand that. For a total of 18 years I earned my living sailing small vessels in the Straits and the Bay of Cadiz. This orca stuff is a blight.

I have no idea where you work. But imagine a pack of wild dogs rampage through your workplace. Or through the park where you take walks with your family. What are you going to do? Not go to work? Go somewhere else to avoid the park you've used for years? How you gonna feel if I say get over it, they are just being playful when you get bitten, get rabies?

Please don't take this personally. Your thread has just given me a chance to speak out to all the others who live a thousand miles away and are completely disconnected offering unreasonable comment.

I ask those of similar mind to consider, for once, the impact on those directly affected and those who have every right to pass through unmolested. Rogue animals should be dealt with. No room left for bogus sentiment.....in my opinion.

Also be aware that regulation of fishermen is far more enforced than in previous decades. I've seen drastic reductions in the size of tuna traps in the Straits. Fewer Japanese refrigeration ships buying the catch. Quotas for Gib fishermen, yadda yadda. So people on site are very aware and take action. But orcas? Should be scared off or caught for food. Again, in my opinion.
well said

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Overfishing les prey.
It's obvious you have no idea of the size of the area from Gib Straits to Brittany or of the hundreds of thousands of small fishing and leisure boats here. Blue fin tuna have recently returned to UK waters, I wonder how attitudes will change if the orcas do the same. Assuming you sail UK waters, how will you avoid them?

Mister E

Visit site
This is not my problem, however if you fail to convince me and others to kill all the Orcas in the are (as you can't identify the actual culprits).
How are you going to convince different governments to kill them I don't know.
Maybe you should convince the Japanese that real research into the brains of all the Orcas in the area.

geem

Visit site
This is not my problem, however if you fail to convince me and others to kill all the Orcas in the are (as you can't identify the actual culprits).
How are you going to convince different governments to kill them I don't know.
Maybe you should convince the Japanese that real research into the brains of all the Orcas in the area.
"That is not my problem"
That doesn't solve the problem though does it? It's a problem for those cruising through the area as already nicely explained my Capt Sensible. There is no easy solution to the problem and avoiding the area is simply not an option.
Can you imagine if orcas set up camp in the Solent. No sailing for say 5 years? That might focus attention on the problem.
Is there a viable alternative to culling?
Tagging them would be a start

Mister E

Visit site
No sailing is an option nobody has to sail a yacht through the area.
The Spanish government has told people not to sail in the area before.

If you want tagging then there has to be a proper presentation.
Someone might get killed or people have been scared is not going to get the Spanish government to put it's hand in its pocket to pay.

Even the reporting of the incidents is very haphazard. The RYA doesn't have responsibility for this as it is not a UK problem. So who can help?

ashtead

Visit site
I have heard of a Bavaria that recently lost his rudder to a Orca just off the coast near Cadiz here and was just towed in. If anyone has a spare rudder for a 46 he might be in need -more info on Bavaria forum I see.