Orca attack

Kelpie

Visit site
I did wonder if the rudder configuration of a yacht had any significance on Orca attacks, as my first thoughts that perhaps a keel hung rudder would be less of a target?
I have just had a look at the report at Orca Interaction and Uneventful Passage Report Results | CA and the figures for keel hung rudders seem to suggest no attacks. !

Have I got this right? Is this significant or is it just these days there are less boats sailing with keel hung rudders?
The highest % is attacks on spade type rudders - is this because they are most common or is that they are a more tempting target? - more resemblance to a fin of another creature or just more vulnerable?
Whatever I am a little relieved that my boat has a keel hung rudder (and copper coat antifouling as this seems also a factor)

With only full keel 7 yachts having submitted reports, it's simply not statistically significant.
Anecdotally, I spoke to the owner of a Nauticat whose rudder was reduced to a bare steel shaft. That was last year, before the CA project began. So full keel boats are not immune.

Visit site
With only full keel 7 yachts having submitted reports, it's simply not statistically significant.
Anecdotally, I spoke to the owner of a Nauticat whose rudder was reduced to a bare steel shaft. That was last year, before the CA project began. So full keel boats are not immune.
I saw video of the yacht of a friend of a friend that had a keel hung rudder - the underwater video revealed a steel shaft with every bit of fibreglass removed. They got the 30-40 miles back to the Algarve using the wind vane that was not touched.
The CA does warn that there are too few reports to draw firm conclusions.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Yes I am. There must be a reason and without knowing the reason there can be no quick solution. Except of course to simply cull them. Even if a solution was arrived by accident it could be ignored for months because it would not be clear for some time. Like the new idea of reversing, which is at the moment debatable because it is not clear why the Orca want to bite rudders in the first place. A reason can be tested with data. For instance if fishing boats in the act of hauling tuna are not attacked we have a basis to ignore the tuna angle.

You seem to be setting yourself up as the expert. So lets hear your take on this situation. And forget that one in your last post that they are parents teaching their young to hunt. Since when has rudder hunting been on their diet. There are accounts of lone attacks, ie no young "pupils" around to teach them anything. I don't have any answers and I don't pretend to. I make guesses like everyone else I do not jump to conclusions.
The fishing boats chuck bangers at them or pour diesel in the water, highly effective i am told

Kelpie

Visit site
I saw video of the yacht of a friend of a friend that had a keel hung rudder - the underwater video revealed a steel shaft with every bit of fibreglass removed. They got the 30-40 miles back to the Algarve using the wind vane that was not touched.
The details match so quite possibly the same incident.

SaltIre

Visit site
Have any wind vanes been damaged by Orcas?

Arcady

Visit site
There’s a report this morning on an Ovni owners FB group of an attack at 03:00 today 7 miles NW of Sines. Apparently the orcas went for the rudder and centreboard. Both survived structural damage, but the autopilot ram was a write-off.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
There’s a report this morning on an Ovni owners FB group of an attack at 03:00 today 7 miles NW of Sines. Apparently the orcas went for the rudder and centreboard. Both survived structural damage, but the autopilot ram was a write-off.
What’s worrying is that’s exactly the water we’re about to be sailing in. (Except we’re going to stick to the coast. )

now what was the name of those firecrackers in Portuguese?