Orca attack

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Depends when you actually go, Vic. I get the idea its mainly the transient pod causing the trouble. That pod should stay north till about May so maybe wide around Biscay and make straight for St Vincent - good luck !
It's a Swan 65 and only Christine and me as the owner isn't keen in joining us .
My thoughts are on the same lines as your but make land fall in Lisbon ,
With some luck we be there just over a week .
But you know what they say about making plains.
Look like black AF is going to have to replace .

dunedin

Visit site
I did wonder if the rudder configuration of a yacht had any significance on Orca attacks, as my first thoughts that perhaps a keel hung rudder would be less of a target?
I have just had a look at the report at Orca Interaction and Uneventful Passage Report Results | CA and the figures for keel hung rudders seem to suggest no attacks. !

Have I got this right? Is this significant or is it just these days there are less boats sailing with keel hung rudders?
The highest % is attacks on spade type rudders - is this because they are most common or is that they are a more tempting target? - more resemblance to a fin of another creature or just more vulnerable?
Whatever I am a little relieved that my boat has a keel hung rudder (and copper coat antifouling as this seems also a factor)
Yorkshire Paul may have the latest numbers from the Cruising Association reports, but from the early reports and photos keel hung rudders seemed to be at least as vulnerable as spade rudders - in some photos arguably the keel hung ones came off worse.
AFAIK the only rudder type which seemed to be less vulnerable was solid steel blades, which presumably hurt the Orcas teeth.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Personally I don't think any new info has come out of any studies,
to me it's all been guess work then anything else ,
The only thing that seen to work is going Into astern ,
which many yachtmens have reported thzt its had saved the day and at last the people in their offices behind their PC have agree to it to be used , as if any yachtmen/women was waiting for their consent.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Depends when you actually go, Vic. I get the idea its mainly the transient pod causing the trouble. That pod should stay north till about May so maybe wide around Biscay and make straight for St Vincent - good luck !
Reports I hear are that there are two pods of juvenile orcas causing the problem. (Maybe more but I’ve no data)

RobbieW

Visit site
Reports I hear are that there are two pods of juvenile orcas causing the problem. (Maybe more but I’ve no data)
There were certainly reports from Galicia and Andalusia within the same few days earlier in the year so I'd certainly be wary. Most activity does seem to follow the migratory group though

fisherman

Visit site
Thunderflash in the water?
Decoy alternative something for them to bite? (Do they bite self steering gear?)
We used a plonker to try to frighten fish, basically a funnel shape or cone on a pole, plunged into the water. Might be uncomfortable for them.
Compressed air might work but bit of a faff.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thunderflash in the water?
Decoy alternative something for them to bite? (Do they bite self steering gear?)
We used a plonker to try to frighten fish, basically a funnel shape or cone on a pole, plunged into the water. Might be uncomfortable for them.
Compressed air might work but bit of a faff.
Not many of us carry a compressor:)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Thanks. One of the crew (who is half Portuguese) went there with his family when he was about 8. They went from the mainland in an open boat and beached it and went swimming etc.

Unfortunately the winds have been quite strong and there’s a bit of a swell running so we’ve chosen to give the Islands a miss for now.