Orca attack

Visit site
As you have seen, the Cruising Association has launched an online platform in partnership with Grupo Trabajo Orca Atlantica (GTOA,) to record orca interactions along the Iberian Peninsula and to gather a wider range of information than previously requested. The results will be available on a publicly viewable anonymised database both as individual reports and with a statistical summary.

As well as seeking reports for all interactions, reports of uneventful passages through the most affected areas at peak periods are requested using simple online reporting forms as follows:

June - between Cadiz and Tarifa;

July and August - between Cabo Trafalgar and Tarifa;

September - between Peniche and Faro;

October - between La Coruna and Lisbon.

Information and reporting forms are available in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish on the CA website, which forum rules prevent me from posting here, but Mr Google (or another search engine of your choice) can help. The web pages detail the purpose and ambitions of the project.

All interaction reports will submit to both CA and GTOA (who run the Orcaiberica website).

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
As you have seen, the Cruising Association has launched an online platform in partnership with Grupo Trabajo Orca Atlantica (GTOA,) to record orca interactions along the Iberian Peninsula and to gather a wider range of information than previously requested. The results will be available on a publicly viewable anonymised database both as individual reports and with a statistical summary.

As well as seeking reports for all interactions, reports of uneventful passages through the most affected areas at peak periods are requested using simple online reporting forms as follows:

June - between Cadiz and Tarifa;

July and August - between Cabo Trafalgar and Tarifa;

September - between Peniche and Faro;

October - between La Coruna and Lisbon.

Information and reporting forms are available in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish on the CA website, which forum rules prevent me from posting here, but Mr Google (or another search engine of your choice) can help. The web pages detail the purpose and ambitions of the project.

All interaction reports will submit to both CA and GTOA (who run the Orcaiberica website).
No problem with quoting the website and giving a link (it’s already been given but here it is again.)

CA and Groupo Trabajo Orca Atlantica launch partnership to record orca interactions along the Iberian Peninsula | CA

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Arrived on the east coast yesterday after an uneventful delivery. Two pingers went unused thankfully as we saw no orcas. In fact we didn't see much marine life at all, a few dolphins but not as many as normal.

I did see a big Sunfish out the window of the aircraft as we were on finals for Faro - looked wonderful and clearly visible just under the surface.

john_morris_uk

Arrived on the east coast yesterday after an uneventful delivery. Two pingers went unused thankfully as we saw no orcas. In fact we didn't see much marine life at all, a few dolphins but not as many as normal.

I did see a big Sunfish out the window of the aircraft as we were on finals for Faro - looked wonderful and clearly visible just under the surface.
Where did you get the pingers from? I’m researching ATM to try and find a reasonably priced option to have a couple with us as we are transmitting south in August/September/October this year.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Where did you get the pingers from? I’m researching ATM to try and find a reasonably priced option to have a couple with us as we are transmitting south in August/September/October this year.
It was a lucky chance purchase John.... I was wandering about in the commercial harbour at Lagos, got chatting to a couple of fishermen and they very kindly sold me a couple of spares. I got the impression they were doing reasonable business selling them to yotties! They're by Netguard and I paid 180 Euros for the pair.

john_morris_uk

It was a lucky chance purchase John.... I was wandering about in the commercial harbour at Lagos, got chatting to a couple of fishermen and they very kindly sold me a couple of spares. I got the impression they were doing reasonable business selling them to yotties! They're by Netguard and I paid 180 Euros for the pair.
Top tip! I think there’s a bit of a market amongst the yachting fraternity too but I’ve got no leads yet.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Wonder where they nicked them from :) If the same as these, they're more than twice the price. Pinger, electric, Model F 10 (daconet.com)

Goldie

Visit site

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I'm wondering how these pingers will scare orcas away. A documentary I watched a few years ago stated dolphins and whales were being caught up in nets because they didn't see them, their sonar doesn't pick them up so, pingers were developed to warn them of the invisible obstruction.

It's obvious orcas don't have this problem with boats, they can see us well enough to attack (or play) without us transmitting our position.

Do these pingers transmit a distress call to scare them away or just put out a signal to say something's there?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I'm wondering how these pingers will scare orcas away. A documentary I watched a few years ago stated dolphins and whales were being caught up in nets because they didn't see them, their sonar doesn't pick them up so, pingers were developed to warn them of the invisible obstruction.

It's obvious orcas don't have this problem with boats, they can see us well enough to attack (or play) without us transmitting our position.

Do these pingers transmit a distress call to scare them away or just put out a signal to say something's there?

I think they just make an unpleasant (to dolphins) noise. Ours 'ping' at 40 kHz

There is an increasing yachty aftermarket trade - we got ours from a yacht that had returned to the UK.

- W

ean_p

Visit site
I would of thought that something like this was a nice open source project for one of the electronic tech savvy guys that frequent these fora. £150+ for a commercial unit sounds expensive for such a device ! :unsure: . Incidently what frequency do depth sounders and electronic anti-fouling devices run at? Are they adjustable/ convertible?
Now having typed this, I'm unsure of the morality of it....should / do we need to 'pollute' the water with acoustic noise that clearly can be detected by much of the aquatic life we pass unseen.....?

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Now having typed this, I'm unsure of the morality of it....should / do we need to 'pollute' the water with acoustic noise that clearly can be detected by much of the aquatic life we pass unseen.....?

Ordinarily I'd agree but remember that we'd only be deploying pingers in the presence of this particular pod of orcas.

Cheery

Visit site
I would of thought that something like this was a nice open source project for one of the electronic tech savvy guys that frequent these fora. £150+ for a commercial unit sounds expensive for such a device ! :unsure: . Incidently what frequency do depth sounders and electronic anti-fouling devices run at? Are they adjustable/ convertible?

There are magnetic devices available to deter shark attacks on divers, what's the difference?