Novices

BarryH

Visit site
Looking at the post below(Loose Cannon) would it be a good idea to have some sort of area where novices could get FAQs answered. At worst it will stop the "fun seeking" element of the users taking the rise.

How about it kim, what do you think.

G

well look, people don't sell boats and when asked where to put the petrol -suggest logging one here!! They get told where to put the petrol. And that's the steering wheel. And once they have got it started they knwo its a boat. And then mebbe they come here and ask why it won't work a bit, or fi there's a bigger engine.

Sepretly eevn if it's real, um wd be difficult to have a birdspotting society where peeps turn up and ask what a bird actually IS. Wdn't it? So we don't have to dumb down utterly utterly. imho.

G

But getting back to the original posting an FAQ for newbies is a great one.

I'm sure most of you old hands get a little fed up seeing the same questions again and again ( sorry guilty as charged)

On argument against I suppose could be that the past postings for all forums are visible and can be searched, which is good, but only if you know what you are searching.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Getting back to your suggestion which I totally ignored, sorry, it's not a bad idea. Perhaps new users could be pointed in the direction of the search facility when they first register.

G

Re: same questions ok

the same questions aren't the same - there some with boats in uk, some in med, some massive, some being built, some ancient some new and so on and so on. all diffrent answers. no prob inanswering/chatting and trying to help a bit. Quite intresting, often.

BarryH

Visit site

I agree with what you say, but the speed at which the advice went from genuine to taking the rise was.......well, lets say i wished my boat piked up that quickly!

G

Like you perhaps, I am not quick at spotting fakes - but never sure if they are. After all there are such things as "stief teddies" which are collectibles. But i was amongst the last at sussing DFLight (er, I didn't suss him at all) and helped him even tho he wasa total nerdy nut. Are there any totally nerdy nuts. of course. Look at
http://www.rossmag.com/jk_diary/jandk.html
and imagine what the response would be...

G

What a truly horrendous web site, that's going to give me nightmares

billskip

Visit site
Just like all clubs ..The click in the corner..you guys that think you know it all..can sit on your pc all day costin you nothing...If you have problems with the same old questions its time YOU left..these forums are for everyboby..it takes some people a long time to have courage to ask whats important them..I love the fun and banter..but give the others a chance ..I can just imagine what its like for new members in your club..or do you wonder why you dont get any??..

BarryD

Visit site
Bill judging by your other anti Motor boaters posts in other forums, your comments are a bit rich. I suggest you look to yourself first.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Boatone sends greetings to all and would like to refer the clubhouse to comments he made earlier about the boaters lounge being the right place for banter. Howver, having struggled really hard in recent weeks to bow to the will of the vociferous minority Boatone also wishes it to be known that he now doesnt care much either way as long as everbody's happy ........................and please dont forget the xmas challenge.....oh yes. and joke number 119 should fit the bill perfectly and I understand BarryD is feeling better this morning...its going to be a nice day.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com

billskip

Visit site
Funny int it ..Its banter when it suits some ..but obviosly the cap fits ...perhaps this should be Joke no 1426

byron

RIP
Visit site
Sorry Bill, real sorry you have that view of this Forum. I see no Clique, I see regulars some who have been here since before the present format. I see people often bending backwards to offer advice and practical help. I see leg pulling but most of all I see joviality in the postings. I would only make one comment for all and sundry "let a Newbie get their feet under the table before unleashing your wit on them"

ô¿ô
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Response to recent novice issues

My answers:

1) Loose_Cannon has been suspended. The original post, coupled with initial background checks, give us reasons to suspect a spoof. If the owner of the Loose_Cannon user name wants to e-mail me at kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com explaining why I have made a mistake then I'll be pleased to spend time retracting this suspension and assisting with as much new user advice as is needed to get started with his or her new purchace;

2) a polite request please that if regular users suspect a spoof I would be grateful if they would ignore the thread and notify us, rather than posting against it. That avoids the risk of genuine new users getting trashed by accident;

3) regular users please note: I am getting comments even from people who have posted before that they are nervous about entering this bear pit. Not laying down any rules - just asking you to be careful with newcomers in order to widen the scope, input and interest of this forum;

4) the suggestion for a novice FAQ almost takes us straight back to the debate of a week ago, namely should motor boat users of these forums have two separate areas - practical and chat (or to put it another way, serious and social)? The answer then was no, but would two sperarate areas provide opportunity of there being no confusion between banter and serious requests of an often necessarily basic nature?

5) I'm going to review the welcome e-mail that we send to all new registrations with a view to pointing out some of the key facilities on the forums, including search, in order that they can see how to get the best out of what has already been posted, as well as to gain the benefit of the experience of others here in future posts.