No dredging progress at Watchet?

38mess

Visit site
I noticed a dredger on the slings in Cardiff Marina last week. I'm pretty sure it will be back, they made a commitment despite the nature of the job

38mess

Visit site
Just looking at the webcam at low tide, it seems that the work they have done so far still looks good. So maybe a program of dredging throughout the spring will be sufficient for this year.

Birdseye

Visit site
I am writing this in my boat sat on the mud in Watchet. I am on the inside of a hammerhead on the pontoon, which is the longest one and should have the deepest water. I have dried out by at least a foot and as far as I can see from walking round the marina only one or two of the moorings literally could still have a boat afloat . Sad but there doesn’t seem to be any significant real progress.

38mess

Visit site
I am writing this in my boat sat on the mud in Watchet. I am on the inside of a hammerhead on the pontoon, which is the longest one and should have the deepest water. I have dried out by at least a foot and as far as I can see from walking round the marina only one or two of the moorings literally could still have a boat afloat . Sad but there doesn’t seem to be any significant real progress.
I'm looking at you on the webcam. Give me a wave.

Allan

Visit site
Such a shame, I do hope that Watchet isn't going to end up like Burry Port, all promises and no progress.
Allan

Birdseye

Visit site
Hi Allan.
Since I wrote that last comment, I have been told that between my recent visit and my previous visit of maybe 10 years ago there has been significant worsening and then significant progress. Apparently it got to the point with mud build up that you couldnt even see someone standing on the C pontoon from places in the B pontoon. If correct then there has been real progress albeit not to the point where you dont dry out on all but maye a couple of berths.

As for Burry, I dont see any sensible opportunity since the issue isnt just the marina but the access channel / estuary. How far will they ever dredge? Mind you, Burry Port itself is even more of a dead alive place than Watchet has become.

The place where we really could do with a marina is Combe.

TSB240

Visit site
I would be interested in any feedback from a representative of the Watchet Harbour Group regarding The Marine Group.
They have done little for Port Dinorwic since their take-over 5 years ago. No maintenance dredging for over 5 years. Badly leaking dock gates are now berth holders major concerns.
Most local marinas have been dredged once or twice during this period.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I think that the Marine Group are also into property development, and a prime site around a harbour has a great attraction in the long run for major profits when developed, acquiring the harbour and surrounding area is an easy long term goal for a developer, and if it means occasionally dredging a harbour (usually rather in efficiently) and providing a few baiting facilities , then that’s just one of the initial costs that will be recovered eventually.