New to boating, first time owner

nathwraith

Visit site
So nearly a year on from this thread and no closer to boat ownership! However we have welcomed our second child into the family, so I have been rather busy!

Doing the usual stalking of boats.com etc and one of the V40's I viewed last year has come down by a not so small £50K. Now @ £499K.

I still can't seem to find a better boat (on paper) around the same price that would work for our family of 4 as a first endeavour. (that isn;t either much older or larger)

Hmm, this year has been great finanically for me, perhaps time to push the button?

Finally would give me an excuse to learn more practically!

This is the boat in question: Used Princess V40 For Sale | Princess Motor Yacht Sales

Bouba

Visit site
So nearly a year on from this thread and no closer to boat ownership! However we have welcomed our second child into the family, so I have been rather busy!

Doing the usual stalking of boats.com etc and one of the V40's I viewed last year has come down by a not so small £50K. Now @ £499K.

I still can't seem to find a better boat (on paper) around the same price that would work for our family of 4 as a first endeavour. (that isn;t either much older or larger)

Hmm, this year has been great finanically for me, perhaps time to push the button?

Finally would give me an excuse to learn more practically!

This is the boat in question: Used Princess V40 For Sale | Princess Motor Yacht Sales
Your choice is clear....the money either goes into fiberglass....or your children’s future. I think it’s an easy decision 👍👍🤔😂🤣

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I am now a full paid up berth holder at Conwy Marina! For a 42ft vessel.

I had been on the waiting list for 11 months, a quick chaser call on Friday and then yesterday the berth was offered. So as of Aug 1st I will have a nice…empty…berth.

Well now everything has gotten a lot more serious!
Well, now you need a boat!

Alicatt

Visit site

I had been on the waiting list for 11 months, a quick chaser call on Friday and then yesterday the berth was offered. So as of Aug 1st I will have a nice…empty…berth.

Congrats, I have to sell my old boat to make room for my new one, the harbour master has asked everyone to shuffle around a bit to make room until Casper is sold :)

citygent111

Visit site

Amazing! Lovely marina at Conwy, especially if the gate times coincide with some nice weather! Make sure to join the Conwy Mariners group on Facebook and we have a WhatsApp group for members of the Berth Holders Association - cheap membership and you get 24hr webcam of the marina too state at your (currently) empty berth!

Bouba

Visit site

Well done !......you have now learned the first rule of boating.....even if you don’t own a boat....it’s still going to cost you a fortune 😳😱🤣😂

nathwraith

Visit site
Amazing! Lovely marina at Conwy, especially if the gate times coincide with some nice weather! Make sure to join the Conwy Mariners group on Facebook and we have a WhatsApp group for members of the Berth Holders Association - cheap membership and you get 24hr webcam of the marina too state at your (currently) empty berth!
Will sort that now, thanks for the advice.
Well done !......you have now learned the first rule of boating.....even if you don’t own a boat....it’s still going to cost you a fortune 😳😱🤣😂

Haha yep tell me about it!

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m 99% sure I’m going to go for a Princess V40. The layout, amenities and build quality just appeal to me. Not too big either, and importantly will fit in the berth!
Always liked the looks of the Princess V series. Never been aboard one, so that’s about all I can usefully say. Hope you enjoy whatever you do get.

replacing luck

Visit site
I’m 99% sure I’m going to go for a Princess V40. The layout, amenities and build quality just appeal to me. Not too big either, and importantly will fit in the berth!
The V40 is due to be discontinued along with some other old Princess models that can't be facelifted again. New windows added to the V39 added a new life to this popular model but that was nearly 8 years or so ago. If your looking to buy an old model you might aswell go for a V39. Save £300k.

nathwraith

Visit site
The V40 is due to be discontinued along with some other old Princess models that can't be facelifted again. New windows added to the V39 added a new life to this popular model but that was nearly 8 years or so ago. If your looking to buy an old model you might aswell go for a V39. Save £300k.

Yeah I’ve seen that the V40 is a facelifted V39. Those larger hull windows make a big difference on the lower deck though. I think the design is pretty timeless.

I do like the new Fairline Targa 40 too. But it’s knocking on £900k inc vat with a few options. Seems a hell of a lot for a first boat.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yeah I’ve seen that the V40 is a facelifted V39. Those larger hull windows make a big difference on the lower deck though. I think the design is pretty timeless.

I do like the new Fairline Targa 40 too. But it’s knocking on £900k inc vat with a few options. Seems a hell of a lot for a first boat.
Ignoring the cost difference I’d take the V40 over the new Targa 40 any day. The Targa is a bit smaller overall and as a result feels very cramped below.

You’ll probably want to upgrade in a year or few too, the Princess will depreciate less in my view.

replacing luck

Visit site
Targa 40 is really a much different boat, has way more deck space, only 1m square shy of a V50 so I am told. I saw one being delivered the other day and the balconie drop down side and tender garage is pretty decent for a 40ft Fairline. If I was in the market for a range rover, I don't think it would be for last years discontinued model. Perhaps that's just me. Each to there own

nathwraith

Visit site
Targa 40 is really a much different boat, has way more deck space, only 1m square shy of a V50 so I am told. I saw one being delivered the other day and the balconie drop down side and tender garage is pretty decent for a 40ft Fairline. If I was in the market for a range rover, I don't think it would be for last years discontinued model. Perhaps that's just me. Each to there own

That analogy only makes sense if comparing a new V40 to a new Targa 40.

I’ll be going to a used V40 with a few hundred K off the price so not really apples to apples.

I haven’t been onboard a new Targa 40 but whilst it does have more deck space like you say(small bathing platform though) it does look smaller in the saloon/galley.