New to boating, first time owner

Seastoke

Visit site
For Sale 2013 Fairline Squadron 50 - Boats.co.uk

I saw this at Conwy marina this week but didn't realise it was for sale. Very tempting!
I think the guy who owns it , lives in Barcelona he used to be in Conwy, I think he owns the berth so it may be available with the boat ie to rent as I imagine there are no 50 ft berths available . There is a lot of big sports cruisers where I berth and stay still have to fight with a lot of canvas.

nathwraith

Visit site
That boat was also available in a Sportscruiser version, Targa 50, which arguably is a better looker. Similar below-decks accommodation. The bow cabin in particular is very spacious.
I have seen only one Targa 50 GT of similar vintage for sale, I have a feeling it may already be sold though. No AC on that particular example either sadly.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I have seen only one Targa 50 GT of similar vintage for sale, I have a feeling it may already be sold though. No AC on that particular example either sadly.
As jfm said a few posts ago, you should try to figure out the flybridge vs sports cruiser question, what works for you and your intended usage. will help narrow the field down!

nathwraith

Visit site
I’d buy the galeon. I really like them and I’ve had a good look inside and out. Real and perceived quality seems good to me.
The Galeon stand will certainly be getting checked out at the show. A concern I do have is the midship cabin headroom, it certainly looks compromised on most walkthrough videos and being a tall guy that won’t go in its favour.

Call me old fashioned but I’d like a British boat if possible too.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
The Galeon stand will certainly be getting checked out at the show. A concern I do have is the midship cabin headroom, it certainly looks compromised on most walkthrough videos and being a tall guy that won’t go in its favour.

The smaller Galeons have very compromised headroom in the mid cabin. By smaller I mean 45’ and less. You’d need to see whether it’s ok for you. Agree with Elessar about the innovation, features and (perceived) build quality, based on the examples I looked at last year. Certainly worth a look imho.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Be aware of the two brands Galia and Galeon, out of the same factory.

The first is for smaller boats, the latter is for yacht types.
Presumably the same philosophy behind them, but with size and price comes a higher demand for finish and value.

Their yachts aren't exactly at give-away prices, so should be on par with the high-end brands.

I viewed the Galia series in Dusseldorf years ago and must say that they were well-built and -finished. As with all "small" boats interior and space were challenging, but that comes with the territory.

I think Galeon favours sterndrives, so keep an eye on that vs. your desires/requirements.

stelican

Visit site
Be aware of the two brands Galia and Galeon, out of the same factory.

The first is for smaller boats, the latter is for yacht types.
Presumably the same philosophy behind them, but with size and price comes a higher demand for finish and value.

Their yachts aren't exactly at give-away prices, so should be on par with the high-end brands.

I viewed the Galia series in Dusseldorf years ago and must say that they were well-built and -finished. As with all "small" boats interior and space were challenging, but that comes with the territory.

I think Galeon favours sterndrives, so keep an eye on that vs. your desires/requirements.
The Galia range of boats were in house designs and included 33ft sports cruisers and 28, 33 and 38 flybridges
Marine Sales UK (Louis Solomon) took a dealership with Galeon and instigated Tony Castro's involvement in a new range of boats.
I visited the yard in Poland 20yrs ago with Louis, We were very impressed with the build quality and the fact that so much of the manufacturing was done in house.

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site

Agree with that on the 40.
Just seen sticky fingers post. Wot he said.

kawasake

Visit site
This Forum!?
OK I’m not on here as regularly as used too
‘Getting back on’
Has been a nuisance
New password required etc
Plus my ‘handle’ has been altered slightly
‘kawsake’
?
Was Kawasaki for ages
The above looks like I’m agreeing with myself too!!!
Sorry Nathan not trying to hi Jack your thread
I reply with some sensible advice in due course
Cheers
K

nathwraith

Visit site
So back home after a weekend in Poole/Southmapton.

Again it feels like my boat criteria has chnaged somewhat. Most advice speaking to toher boats IRL suggest that a sports cruiser would be a better fit being easier to single helm and having less windage, doesn;t hurt that they are usually cheaper than the equivilant flybridge.

So I viewed two lovely Princess V40s in Poole at Salterns Marina. It was great the see the different inteior finishes in person and to get a real idea of the size of the interior spaces. Princess have done a fnatastic job with headroom as there is plenty for me throughout being 6'4". Basic spec on a V40 is good too, with only heating/AC, generator and electric holding tank being the ones to look out for,

On the day of the show I had arranged to meet with John Tipton @ Princess who kindly gave us VIP parking and showed us around a new F45 & V50. It was great chatting to him as he sold my father his boats so this was so nie to hear about his tales. The nostalgia stepping onbaord a new Princess is unmatched, right down to the smell.

The V50 was certainly our favourite of the two, the extra size & price are alittle overkill right now.

Onwards to the Fairline stand and we went aboard a Targa 45 GT & Open. It's amazing the difference 5 foot makes as these felt siginificantly larger than the V40 we saw prior. Honestly I could order a Targa 45 GT tomorrow and have no regrets but its also north of £1m which is much more than ideally wanted to spend on a first boat.

We saw the Fairline Targa 40 model as the first boat has not been produced yet so really I'm awaiting seeing one of those in the flesh. However if you want one, you'll be waiting until Q4 2024!

The new Fairlines seemed more modern and innovative than the equivilant Princess' but the Princess' felt more luxurious and classy to my eyes.

All in all, lovely to get a feel for the boats im interested in but it feels like it could be one of the below:

- New or used Princess V40
- New Fairline Targa 40
- Used Targa 45 GT

These option would keep the boat around the £700K mark. Timing is important as buying a used boat now could end up with it not doing too much as winter rolls in, conversely a new boat could mean a long wait. If this isn't a first world problem I don't know what is.

Seastoke

Visit site
Winter gives you time to practice berthing , get to know the boat , go out on good days and practice anchoring , get to know the marina staff . I have a mate with a v40 in Conwy. Do they have a berth available.

nathwraith

Visit site
Winter gives you time to practice berthing , get to know the boat , go out on good days and practice anchoring , get to know the marina staff . I have a mate with a v40 in Conwy. Do they have a berth available.
I have seen that V40, looks brand new! They did when I last spoke to the marina a few weeks back.