New Engine

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Bought an old boat, was going to be my garden shed in my retirement, keep me busy and out of the way of SWMBO so found and unfortunately fell in love with a 1976 Ron Holland prototype One Ton Cup . Lots of work in restoration by previous (young) owner so enough to keep me busy but not so much I need help, but and it's a big but, the consensus is I need a new engine!
Old Volvo just has come to the end of its life. Gobsmacked at the price of a new Volvo almost as much as I paid for the boat and at 15k+ too much for my budget so it was suggested I look at the Nanni engine and it's much cheaper, by over 4k and brings some reality to; in fairness what I had known I would have to do, to the proceedings.
I've read they're OK, but I know nothing about them. I know that Beta use the same Kubota engine block and Beta motors have a good reputation but i know nothing about Nanni except they're French, which is why out here in the French Antilles they're cheaper.
Any views?

Concerto

Visit site
Do you need a new engine? Why not fit a secondhand engine. After the hurricanes wrecked so many yachts a few years ago, there must be some secondhand engine dealers close to you who could supply what you need. Most answers here will be about UK supplies, but you need one close to you in the French Antillies.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I had a problem with my old Volvo and had it repaired by a company in Penzance. They tried to persuade me to buy a Nanni, Apparently the ferry boats for St Michaels Mount had been fitted with them and they had proved very reliable. Later the chap who keeps his boat next to me replaced his 4 108 with a Nanni and has been very satisfied with no problems except a blown exhaust elbow at 7 years. I am currently having my present boat re engined and, depending on measurements , will either have a Beta or Nanni. I suggest you check the availability of agents in the area in which you cruise.

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Reply to Concerto. Been searching for a second hand engine but no luck in Guadeloupe or Martinique. I have a frien who is a yacht insurance assesor here in Guadeloupe and he can't find one either except for a couple of sail drive units that are way too big.

Reply to Kurrawong_Kid. Thanks for the comment re Nanni.

I've decided to bite the bullet get a new Nanni and put all the other things back a bit to let budget fund catch up with expenditure.
I'm trying to convince SWMBO that canquin is an historic classic boat and when I'm dead she'll recoup the cost . Ever the optimist

She is beautiful tho'.

b933115208955f0d47fdeae20b08c4603bff1b3b.jpg

Concerto

Visit site
It is good there are people like you and me who prefer older boats and want to renovate them to a high stndard. My Westerly Fulmar Concerto had a recent Beta engine fitted and would have been my first choice of engine. Nanni as you said are also based on the same industrial Kuboto engine, so most parts are readily available all over the world. Your problem will be the delivery time if there is no one available locally.

My restoration is on the end phase and my original budget has doubled, so do not believe you will get your money back. You will certainly have a yacht that will work for you with minimal maintenance once you are finished. You will also know your boat inside and out.

If you are interested in how my Concerto has changed over the past 5 years, this link will take you to the PowerPoint presentation I made to a RYA conference in January. https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/3/3f/Concerto.pdf Currently I am working on the interior woodwork, taking it back to bare wood and relacquering it.

sailorman

Visit site
Bought an old boat, was going to be my garden shed in my retirement, keep me busy and out of the way of SWMBO so found and unfortunately fell in love with a 1976 Ron Holland prototype One Ton Cup . Lots of work in restoration by previous (young) owner so enough to keep me busy but not so much I need help, but and it's a big but, the consensus is I need a new engine!
Old Volvo just has come to the end of its life. Gobsmacked at the price of a new Volvo almost as much as I paid for the boat and at 15k+ too much for my budget so it was suggested I look at the Nanni engine and it's much cheaper, by over 4k and brings some reality to; in fairness what I had known I would have to do, to the proceedings.
I've read they're OK, but I know nothing about them. I know that Beta use the same Kubota engine block and Beta motors have a good reputation but i know nothing about Nanni except they're French, which is why out here in the French Antilles they're cheaper.
Any views?
The Nanni are better marinized & the heat exchangers are made for the engine engine & not prone to the problems Beta seem to experience

Norman_E

Visit site
There is a company in the UK that sells ships lifeboat engines taken from the boats of scrapped ships. These engines generally have very low hours and are mostly in the 24 to 40 bhp range. I don't know what it would cost to get one shipped to you but it must be worth investigating. Marine engines for sale UK, used outboards, new inboard engine sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck
This is the seller's website Marine Enterprises Ltd Scrolling down I spotted a 36hp Bukh at less than £4,000 ex lifeboat with less than 250 hours.

Last edited:

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Thanks for this. Found a Yanmar the right size, just waiting for the shipping cost, then have to add "octroi des mer" (Guadeloupe tax) Hire a crane and a mate and shoo it in .
Hmm said my wife I can see that'll work ;)

Norman_E

Visit site
Thanks for this. Found a Yanmar the right size, just waiting for the shipping cost, then have to add "octroi des mer" (Guadeloupe tax) Hire a crane and a mate and shoo it in .
Hmm said my wife I can see that'll work ;)
Please keep us posted how it goes, Shipping costs and tax are likely to be hefty, but you should end up a lot better off than buying new

doug748

Visit site
Reply to Concerto .
Thank you for the copy of your presentation. I'm using it to demonstrate to my wife that I'm not alone in my stupidity.
Thanks again

I invested myself some years ago, a great insurance for future reliable service. I think you did well to swerve the Nanni, Yanmar have a good international network.