Volvo Penta MD2030B Alternator Connection

Sealong

Visit site
Hello,
I have a Volvo Penta MD2030B and the standard (Valeo) alternator. I have been doing some work on the engine that required removing the alternator and disconnecting the cables to it. Having been ill for a month and now unable to find my notes I have a problem with finding the correct terminal for a green with red-stripe cable. It has an eyelet connection and the length suggests it should attach to one of the alternator terminals, but which one ? I do have the Volvo Penta wiring diagram for this engine and the only mention of a green with red-stripe cable is to the glow-plug relay. However, that connection (which is inside a protective box) would require a spade not an eyelet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

VicS

Visit site
You are right GN/R is the connection between the glow plug relay and the glow plug warning light.

Perhaps the wire you are looking at is the BL/R excitation connection to the D+/61 terminal, or have you already identified that one ?

1714295524973.png

Sealong

Visit site
You are right GN/R is the connection between the glow plug relay and the glow plug warning light.

Perhaps the wire you are looking at is the BL/R excitation connection to the D+/61 terminal, or have you already identified that one ?

View attachment 176087
Hi Vic, thanks, but no it's not that one (a pair in my case) and it is plugged into that terminal along with a single brown cable.
The one I am trying to find a terminal for is most definitely GN/R.

Shaddickp

Visit site
Is the Green and Red cable completely detached or is the end opposite the 'eyelet' end still connected somewhere. If it is still connected are you able to trace it back through to the other end. If it is the glow relay connection it will be going up out of the engine compartment to the back of the engine control panel.

VicS

Visit site
Is the Green and Red cable completely detached or is the end opposite the 'eyelet' end still connected somewhere. If it is still connected are you able to trace it back through to the other end. If it is the glow relay connection it will be going up out of the engine compartment to the back of the engine control panel.
The GN/R wire from the glow plug relay should go to the nearby multipin connector.

Sealong

Visit site
My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been very busy working on my boat, returning home shattered and little in the tank to do anything other than eat and then sleep.
Many thanks for the useful suggestions, I will pursue some of these when I am next working inside the vessel. For now, I have insulated the end of the cable and strapped it up. The glow plugs work (and they switch off too). I am inclined to think it is a bit of legacy cable from before my ownership.
Chris