Navionics on Tablet

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Boating HD version on IPad and phone just shows Boating, both look the same and use either when on boat, often the phone as it’s generally closer to hand, otherwise chartplotter at helm always on anyway.

OK, I must have done this wrong then, I would have had to buy both to get HD on iPad and standard on the phone. I've ended up with non-HD on both plus HD on an Android tablet so I've probably confused myself somewhere :)

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
They have added some stuff in the last year or so which is 'nice' but I wish that Navionics would implement some form of AIS overlay, it's technically achievable as I have it on iNavx and iSailor and would make this little app really the best all rounder. Now if they could add some form of nmea send routines too - for transmitting waypoint and route data to my autopilot...

A question for you.. I've been told that iNavx is good for racing because you can put startlines in and get relevant info, but without comitting to buy the Pro version I can't try it. Is it any good?

And am I right in thinking that I'd need to get the Pro version in order to get a UK chart - as installed it seems to be US only.

I have Navionics HD, and like it, but the racing bells and whistles would be fun if they work.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
A question for you.. I've been told that iNavx is good for racing because you can put startlines in and get relevant info, but without comitting to buy the Pro version I can't try it. Is it any good?

And am I right in thinking that I'd need to get the Pro version in order to get a UK chart - as installed it seems to be US only.

I have Navionics HD, and like it, but the racing bells and whistles would be fun if they work.

Full disclosure, I only use iNavX for the AIS feature and purchased (yes you guessed) Navionics Charts for it....
I was at the time experimenting with all the options so have paid out waay more than I needed to.

I've currently got Navionics charts on 3 different apps and paid 3 times for the privilege. Given the choice now after doing the rounds - Navionics HD hands down the one I always go back to.

charles_reed

Visit site
Being of an age where IOS, android, Whatsapp, Twitter, etc means absolutely nothing, some advise please.

I am looking at buying a tablet (Levovo 10 seems popular on here) as a secondary plotter and to put Navionics on it.

Do I need to buy a card or download?

Confused

I think you mean Lenovo - whose tablets and phones use the Android OS. You will need to purchase and download the app from Google Store, after registering your payment system - to do this you will need to be within reach of a local area wireless network (WLAN).
Lenovo are one of the more reputable of the phone, laptop, tablet manufacturers, being successors to IBM.
Be very careful to make sure the tablet does not demand connection to a cellular network, for coarse position-finding or you may have to buy a mobile phone SIM as well.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
If you have both forms of cartography the accounts are completely separate, as the mobile app versions work through your Apple/google account and the plotter/computer account is direct with Navionics themselves.

Altho they are different logins, the systems will work togehter.

If you have a compatible plotter with Navionics charts, you can sync waypoints and routes to the plotter from the tablet.

charles_reed

Visit site
All of UK and some of near Europe. Echo the points made above, it's very good for the money and the subs at £40 a year with daily updates and corrections is a bargain in my view.

Correction, the Navionics charts cover the whole world - not just the UK.

You choose the area you want and pay the cash. I think you only download the app from the mobile phone store and the database - the plotter ones come as a MMC.
An alternative is OpenCPN and Meggeson Ed 2 - totally free and operates on all OS from Microsoft, through the linux offshoots (Android, IoS) to proper pure Linux systems.
Still for those of you still earning £40pa is a mere bagatelle ;-)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

asteven221

Visit site
Although not directly related the OP something came to mind that might interest others. I was searching for a media player for the boat and came across TV set top boxes that will do the the job for me Anyway, I didn't realise that these things all use Android and can download apps and from the Play Store. They are basically an Android tablet with all the interfaces ports, but without a screen. That got me thinking!! Why not get one of these devices for £35, hook it up to a telly with an HDMI cable, download Navionics and job done. That would be a very nice chartplotter indeed. A nice 20" display instead of peering at a 7" display. It seems a much neater and better option than cobbling together a tablet, phone or even a PC. An seriously cheaper than a dedicated Raymarine/Garmin etc..... Has anyone tried it?

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Altho they are different logins, the systems will work togehter.

If you have a compatible plotter with Navionics charts, you can sync waypoints and routes to the plotter from the tablet.

You could do that sync to the plotter whatever charts it had though, or none. You’re sending NMEA waypoint and route data (vendor independent) from the Navionics app to the plotter software presumably via the plotter’s WiFi. The plotter software will receive and store them, it doesn’t care what charts it has.

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
You could do that sync to the plotter whatever charts it had though, or none. You’re sending NMEA waypoint and route data (vendor independent) from the Navionics app to the plotter software presumably via the plotter’s WiFi. The plotter software will receive and store them, it doesn’t care what charts it has.

Did not find a way to do this until started using plotter sync between IPad and Lowrence plotter

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Did not find a way to do this until started using plotter sync between iPad and Lowrence plotter
That definitely works, there's a Lowrance vid demonstrating it, but it's far from seamless. The routes are exported from Navionics as GPX files, easily read by many other apps, I suppose that it's making a simple and reliable wireless sync that's the issue.

As I have a Garmin plotter, and Garmin owns Navionics, it's impossible for me.

Daverw

Visit site
That definitely works, there's a Lowrance vid demonstrating it, but it's far from seamless. The routes are exported from Navionics as GPX files, easily read by many other apps, I suppose that it's making a simple and reliable wireless sync that's the issue.

As I have a Garmin plotter, and Garmin owns Navionics, it's impossible for me.

Hopefully one day plotter sync will not be as clunky, save route on iPad, wireless contact, sync both, navigate to plotter card and pick route and import to plotter and finally make route active. Easy if you do it a lot but forget one bit and you pull your hair out. Not sure now Garmin owns Navionics much will change as they want to keep it open to competitors plotters without people loosing functions that would be garmin specific

eddystone

Visit site
Bit puzzled by how one could get AIS overlay on Navionics HD on Android tablet. I have a Garmin 750 chartplotter hard wired to McMurdo AIS receiver/splitter. Hitherto I've used Marine Navigator in the cockpit on a small tablet with raster Admiralty charts - I don't like the blue charts much nor the routeing function on the Garmin. I much prefer Navionics for chart appearance, routeing and tide data so I've bought a 10" samsung Tab A. As I've also sorted the recharging of tablet out if I could get AIS data i don't think I'd bother to switch on the Garmin, even less pay them £50 now and then for chart updates.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Bit puzzled by how one could get AIS overlay on Navionics HD on Android tablet. .................. if I could get AIS data i don't think I'd bother to switch on the Garmin, even less pay them £50 now and then for chart updates.
As far as I know you still can't overlay AIS onto Navionics on a tablet. I have just gone for Marine Navigator app and Visit My Harbour charts because of that. (My son wiped my Navionics charts). However if you were to load OpenCPN onto the tablet you can just use your AIS on that with pretty much a blank screen . Without the clutter of the detailed chart it is easier to use the AIS. Then switch back to your charts for screen navigation back and forth according to circumstances. (If that makes sense). (Credit to RichardS for introducing this blank screen approach. The one and only time I have got my AIS overlaid on my chart on the tablet I did find it harder to use the AIS info........)

Last edited:

eddystone

Visit site
As far as I know you still can't overlay AIS onto Navionics on a tablet. I have just gone for Marine Navigator app and Visit My Harbour charts because of that. (My son wiped my Navionics charts). However if you were to load OpenCPN onto the tablet you can just use your AIS on that with pretty much a blank screen . Without the clutter of the detailed chart it is easier to use the AIS. Then switch back to your charts for screen navigation back and forth according to circumstances. (If that makes sense). (Credit to RichardS for introducing this blank screen approach. The one and only time I have got my AIS overlaid on my chart on the tablet I did find it harder to use the AIS info........)

Sorry don't really follow that; do you mean with new AIS receiver that is wifi or bluetooth capable? (only way you'll get an output form my existing AIS device is through NMEA 183? cable)

FairweatherDave

Visit site
All I am saying is that with Navionics on a tablet you cannot overlay AIS information at all. That is my understanding.
If you want to display AIS on your tablet download a separate app (eg open CPN) and you can see the AIS info you want to see. However I don't know how you get the AIS data to your tablet........I do mine through an AIS receiver (Quark A026) that has a WiFi output ....I have no idea about inputting via an NMEA cable to a tablet (sorry!)