MOB volvooceanrace

Uricanejack

Visit site
No it doesn't. Chances of finding him extremely low if he is not found by now. Thinking of his friends and family.
Also thinking its an avoidable loss. Especially after another RTW race has lost 2 recently. Learning from the mistakes of others beats the hell out of learning from your own.

Viking

Visit site
Lessons learnt? This is the second MOB from this boat. Back in Leg 4 they lost Gough but luckly he was quickly recovered. A very sad day for the family and the Volvo teams

Spyro

Visit site
Such a Shane when location devices are available and yet not being used. Even a PLB costing less that a waterproof jacket should be minimum safety gear. Yes I know there are arguments about it having to be operated manually but it has to lessen the odds of a tradgedy.

Sybarite

Visit site

Habebty

Visit site
Re: More bad news from VOR

Terrible news indeed, and much sympathy for the family. Brings home the dangers of ocean racing.

Do the VOR crews wear AIS type MOB locators? (and would they make any difference in big seas?)

Uricanejack

Visit site

No clue.
Gale force, southern ocean close to 50 s
Without them the chance of recovery infinitesimal.
Sea state huge coming back to windward to try and spot a person in the water without some kind of aid.
Of course they not only have to be provided they have to be worn. Even with plb it would be difficult. Very difficult.

These are paid race crew on high performance boats. Selected as some of the best in the sport. Still race organization should have some kind of safety rules or policy:

Sad regardless.

Daydream believer

Visit site

I seem to recall some years ago that the rules state that if a person was lost overboard it meant automatic disqualification for that yacht. This was after a boat did not go back after one of the crew fell overboard.
It may have been Chay Blyth's boat but it was a long time ago. In all fairness there was no point as they had not realised immediately that he had gone.
Does that rule still apply?

D

Deleted member 36384

Such a Shane when location devices are available and yet not being used. ... .

Unfortunately the evidence suggests that safety measures are only mandated in hindsight after a tragedy or series of tragedies. Until then they are usually resisted by various interested parties. These races are no different.

lw395

Visit site
Such a Shane when location devices are available and yet not being used. Even a PLB costing less that a waterproof jacket should be minimum safety gear. Yes I know there are arguments about it having to be operated manually but it has to lessen the odds of a tradgedy.

Any radio aid is dependent on getting its antenna above water level.
That needs manual intervention from the casualty.
These things are a great idea, but there are severe limits of what they can relied on for in reality.

In the circumstances, assuming someone saw him go overboard, the old-school Danbuoy gear might have been more effective than modern gadgetry.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Any radio aid is dependent on getting its antenna above water level.
That needs manual intervention from the casualty.
These things are a great idea, but there are severe limits of what they can relied on for in reality.

In the circumstances, assuming someone saw him go overboard, the old-school Danbuoy gear might have been more effective than modern gadgetry.
I have just bought a MOB1 by Ocean signal that is activated by the inflation of the lifejacket.
TS

flaming

Visit site
The team have issued a statement.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11370_Update-from-Team-Sun-Hung-Kai-Scallywag.html

It seems John was knocked overboard by the mainsheet in a crash gybe. He was unclipped as he was moving forward to tidy up a sheet. The crew believe he was unconscious as he went overboard.

Worth noting, I think, is that the fully professional crew never even found the Johnbuoy or Horseshoe that they deployed. Any safety measure that involves aiding the boat to find you in those conditions is somewhat of a sticking plaster. Not going off the boat has to be the number 1 priority.

lpdsn

Visit site

I seem to recall some years ago that the rules state that if a person was lost overboard it meant automatic disqualification for that yacht. This was after a boat did not go back after one of the crew fell overboard.
It may have been Chay Blyth's boat but it was a long time ago. In all fairness there was no point as they had not realised immediately that he had gone.
Does that rule still apply?

There's generally that limitation in racing. RRS47.2.

lw395

Visit site
Not crash gybing ought to be the immediate priority.
If they got the jonbuoy over the side properly quickly, John could still be out there abandoned.
It seems convenient to beleive that he was so bady injured that survival is not a possibility, but that makes it a little moot whether he was hooked on or not.

'It took some time to get the boat under control'.
Basically, that's an admission the boat was out of control.

Have these RTW races lost the plot?

lpdsn

Visit site
If they got the jonbuoy over the side properly quickly, John could still be out there abandoned.

Unfortunately I suspect the Jonbuoy would've landed nowhere near him. If they were surfing in an 8 when he went over then by the time anyone reacted they'd've been quite a way away from him when it was thrown over the side.

lw395

Visit site
Unfortunately I suspect the Jonbuoy would've landed nowhere near him. If they were surfing in an 8 when he went over then by the time anyone reacted they'd've been quite a way away from him when it was thrown over the side.

Say 10 seconds as a target to get a danbuoy out. Say they were surfing at 20 knots, three minutes a mile, I make that 117 metres.
Which is farther than you are going to reliably see a danbuoy from lying in a lifejacket in gale conditions. It was 15 minutes before sunrise. If it was properly dark a casualty might glimpse the light of the danbuoy.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
I have personal experience which brings these events home very very painfully each time they occur.
One point I would make is, in our case, although the race was almost over, the race was abandoned and no results published.
On another note, before this tragedy I was already thinking about making an ais enabled danbouy. I'm still not totally convinced yet, but it may yet be a worthwhile project.
It took my crew weeks to come to terms - some never did and haven't really sailed since. Fortunately the family encouraged us to continue racing and took comfort he was doing the sport he had enjoyed for many years.
I hope Johns family can do the same.
K