Does anyone ever do man not-overboard practice?

GHA

Visit site
Does anyone else use work positioning kit like grillions etc onboard?
rope work positioning equipment options - Google Suche

Working at height is a very mature industry with a lot of options many well suited to staying on a boat, but it seems very obvious without being judgemental about it, we big brained monkeys are extremely prone to just bypass the "lets do all we possibly can to make sure it doesn't happen" step & go straight to disaster recovery after it does happen.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Does anyone else use work positioning kit like grillions etc onboard?
rope work positioning equipment options - Google Suche

Working at height is a very mature industry with a lot of options many well suited to staying on a boat, but it seems very obvious without being judgemental about it, we big brained monkeys are extremely prone to just bypass the "lets do all we possibly can to make sure it doesn't happen" step & go straight to disaster recovery after it does happen.
I use a Kong "Slyde" on the fixed tether I keep at the mast to vary its length; I tried it on my personal tether but I am not very convinced so far, I keep the two short and long tether legs. An arborist came to my garden he used a sort of steel accordeon, just found the name "Petzl Zillon l22a", seemed very practical but very expensive to buy and experiment.

Reactions: GHA

Refueler

Visit site
I use a Kong "Slyde" on the fixed tether I keep at the mast to vary its length; I tried it on my personal tether but I am not very convinced so far, I keep the two short and long tether legs. An arborist came to my garden he used a sort of steel accordeon, just found the name "Petzl Zillon l22a", seemed very practical but very expensive to buy and experiment.

Watching the Arborist who looks after all the trees on my estate is an art !

One tree he was in - he disturbed a Hornets nest .... his reaction and 'ejection' from that tree was something amazing ... his equipment proven ...

He's actually #3 in the Baltic Climbing Championships ....

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Refueler:

Please post an image of a chest harness with a side attachment. Perhaps we are just not understanding. But I have not seen one with a side attachment point in 40 years. They got banned by OSHA. Positioning loops on the side of seat and body harnesses, on the other hand, are common place and service the purpose you describe (leaning and slips that are not falls). Mostly tower harnesses and tree work.

construction-safety-harness-5-point-qcb-chest-grommet-legs-red-544888.jpg

thinwater

Interestingly, experienced climbers have several gears regarding falls:
  • Top roping and well-bolted climbs. Fall as much as you want, it's a play ground.
  • Traditional leading with their own well placed gear. Don't fall, but if the gear is good, push it and ... maybe risk a fall. But not often.
  • Traditional leading on run-out of poor gear. Also Ice climbing on screws. Don't frigin' fall. If you think it's at all likely, climbing down if possible, and avoid tenuous situations.
  • Soloing and serious mountaineering on ice. Don't fall. Ever.
Curiously, these rules do not mean that only easy climbing happens in the last two categories. It means you really pay attention and must climb often enough in the first two cases that you know your exact limits and the limits of any gear. I've been around a few miscalculations.

The OP has an excellent point. Sometimes not falling includes keeping a very short tether and they securing yourself to the pulpit or mast.

Refueler

Visit site
Refueler:

Please post an image of a chest harness with a side attachment. Perhaps we are just not understanding. But I have not seen one with a side attachment point in 40 years. They got banned by OSHA. Positioning loops on the side of seat and body harnesses, on the other hand, are common place and service the purpose you describe (leaning and slips that are not falls). Mostly tower harnesses and tree work.

construction-safety-harness-5-point-qcb-chest-grommet-legs-red-544888.jpg

The English language is easy to understand - I shall not try to teach English anymore ...

If people wish to mis-understand and quote extreme gear - the that's THEIR problem ... my posts were in terms of safety belts and limited harness typically used when working aloft, NOT climbing - the tether part is short to avoid fall distance .. which prevents build up of momentum and the destructive stop at end of fall.

If someone wants to wear full climbing harness on a boat - that's their choice ..

thinwater

The English language is easy to understand - I shall not try to teach English anymore ...

If people wish to mis-understand and quote extreme gear - the that's THEIR problem ... my posts were in terms of safety belts and limited harness typically used when working aloft, NOT climbing - the tether part is short to avoid fall distance .. which prevents build up of momentum and the destructive stop at end of fall.

If someone wants to wear full climbing harness on a boat - that's their choice ..
What I posted is absurd for deck wear--obviously and purposely. I'm sorry the joke was not obvious.

But I am not being thick. I don't think anyone on the thread understands what you mean and would appreciate an illustration. You refer to years of staging experience on ships; clearly, there should some image you can post of the gear you mean. If you mean something DIY or a 2" webbing belt around the waist tied to a tether at the side, say that. I you mean a very short tether to a bosuns chair (a foot or less), that is a special use that is not really on this topic, although the point about no fall potential in that case is well taken ... to a point. Safety belts are not permitted for bosons chairs because falls do happen if the main suspension fails, and a belt can kill you.

In regulatory English, written many places, side ties are only permitted for positioning, not suspension, recovery, or falls, even the most minor ones. Simple safety belts, if I understand what you mean (no illustration), are not permitted for work at height (with bosons chairs or staging) because they proved unsafe. If your experience was prior to about 1980, yeah, waist belts were common.

Would a side tied be safe on a sailing chest harness? I've never heard the question seriously posed. We've discussed why front ties and back ties are flawed. In fact, the most serious challenge to me, might be deciding which side to have it on. Going forward on port deck, the right side of your chest makes sense, but then returning it should be on the left or the fall is twice as long. Do you switch?

Interesting food for thought.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
For climbing we use a "Quick Adjust". It's a line with a loop at one end and a belay type device with a karabiner at the other. Light, quick to attach and adjust. I use it to clip to the mast sometimes. We also use our technically defunct climbing harnesses sometimes. Anything that helps us stay on board without hindering too much.

GHA

Visit site
Went for a little sail down the coast today & a little bit of practice what you preach! 😁

A random few thoughts in random order, imho of course...
  • Anything to assist in man-not-overboard shouldn't be something that gets put on a list & thought of as done, much better to be seen like pretty much anything on a boat, constantly evolving & tweaking if/when there's any little tricks or kit or habits that will help. Things change, we change, make an effort & look with fresh eyes as often as you can. So much time on passage to think of so many things, Ponder MNOB now & then.
So today having a ponder going to the mast has very good handholds all the way. One side of the mast is a cleat instead of one of the steps which could be better but still pretty good. So todays cast in stone for now decision, always always always use those handholds leaving the cockpit when under way. Always. No thought needed then. One less decision. Instinctive & frees the mind for other things.
  • When to go harnessed up clipped off every time out of the cockpit would be better on some kind of more objective data rather than how it feels.
Unresolved that one, maybe just decide over 25Kts or whatever & live with it. Will always be subjective solo.

Line each side to clip off to from the cockpit to the mast is easy, forward of the mast there's usually a hard kayak tied down to points wide enough for the dinghy, needs more half chain links welded to the deck to suit the kayak & no trip hazard. Easy fix that one. Line line each side of the kayak from mast to the bow, should mean impossible to go over the side with a grillion clipped off & shortened a bit but still be able to move about. Never much need to go up there anyway. Usually.....

Feels good to have made just a little effort to DO SOMETHING. 😎