Max wind that i can leave the marina and go out to sea

Adetheheat

Visit site
What's the max wind speed I could sensibly go out to Sea in - assume that it's a Category A or B boat and so in theory could cope with stronger winds?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
What's the max wind speed I could sensibly go out to Sea in - assume that it's a Category A or B boat and so in theory could cope with stronger winds?
So many variables: upwind or downwind passage, tide with or against, sheltered water or open water with a long fetch ...........etc

Momac

Visit site
Everyone talks about wind.
But really the sea state is the governing factor. The wind direction and local geography together with tidal flows are all factors.
Look at the free online Windguru which provides wind speed and wave height predictions.

Adetheheat

Visit site
Unless you have an exceptional boat, or are particularly a glutton for punishment, a force 4 is about the limit for no pressure leisure boating. Even with a f4 it can still get very uncomfortable.
Yes that's what I've noticed.
I was coming out of Chichester harbour into open water, the tide was coming out of the harbour in flood and there wasn't a strong wind - Force 4 or below and the waves towered over the boat until I got within range of the isle of Wight after which it was flat as a pancake. I was very scared for about 15 minutes!

dunedin

Visit site
Yes that's what I've noticed.
I was coming out of Chichester harbour into open water, the tide was coming out of the harbour in flood and there wasn't a strong wind - Force 4 or below and the waves towered over the boat until I got within range of the isle of Wight after which it was flat as a pancake. I was very scared for about 15 minutes!
Which just proves how irrelevant wind strength on its own is as a guide.
The issue at Chichester Bar is generally waves, and the direction and speed of tide - wind is a factor, but not the major one.

oldgit

Visit site
In the Medway/Thames esturary it has been suggested that above F4 -5 wind against tide can be uncomfortable unless you absolutely have to be somewhere, especially with a NE wind against a big spring ebb.
Winds from the West tend to be not so bad.

PeterBoater

Visit site
Wind is important for a boat with a lot of windage area when negotiating a berth and/or a lock. There are too many variables such as wind direction in relation to the orientation of berth/lock, windage, manoeuvrability of the boat at very slow speed, skill of skipper etc to set any general rules, except by trial of your particular circumstances, in addition to the open sea criteria mentioned above.

Seastoke

Visit site
We came out of Dartmouth this morning , there was big easterlies last night but no wind to talk about or waves , But when I opened up to 24 knt we hit a big swell and left the water. The rest of the journey was down to 12knts pushed our way home. The message is no wind , no breaking waves but very unpleasant.

Refueler

Visit site
Which just proves how irrelevant wind strength on its own is as a guide.
The issue at Chichester Bar is generally waves, and the direction and speed of tide - wind is a factor, but not the major one.

Chichester and Langstone entrances are prime examples of Wind over Tide ... number of times I've had to endure those two entrances !!

They are huge natural deep harbours filling and emptying each tide through narrow deep channels ...

westernman

www.devalk.nl
So many variables: upwind or downwind passage, tide with or against, sheltered water or open water with a long fetch ...........etc
Sea state is key. And that depends on local geography, and wind direction. Where the wind was blowing from and where is blowing from and will blow from.

I have left harbour in a F9.

It was for a downwind passage, with a relatively flat sea vs the wind strength.
We had a very confortable and fast passage with just the stay sail up at close to maximum hull speed. We were actually making 4 knots with no sail up.

The destination was the other side of the mountain and relatively sheltered so entering our destination port was straightforward.

I spent a lot of time judging what the passage would be like. I climbed up to the top of the hill overlooking a substantial part of the passage to check the sea state. It did not stop the harbour master threatening to call the police as he maintained I was out of my mind.

The passage was so comfortable that my MIL cooked a Thai curry as we rounded Cap Bear. We had only one wave which made it on to the deck which otherwise stayed dry.

oldgit

Visit site
..............as time goes on it becomes easier to accept the bleeding obvious and much easier to accept the following.....
........and stolen from just about every humorous flying website.

Better to wish you were out there from in here , rather than out there , wishing you were back in there ?

Bouba

Visit site
With motor boats only three things matter….the wind, the wind, the wind…
But the truth is that it doesn’t matter what the wind is like as you leave….only what it’s like on your return. If you can park safely then everything is good

PlanB

Visit site
With motor boats only three things matter….the wind, the wind, the wind…
But the truth is that it doesn’t matter what the wind is like as you leave….only what it’s like on your return. If you can park safely then everything is good
You have to take sea state into account. Although the boat can take far more than you can, there's no point in frightening yourself silly if you can avoid it. I'm remembering a passage from Cap Breton to Bilbao.

Last edited: