Man trapped on board his yacht

PhillM

Visit site
Does make the point that having a shore contact who knows what you are up to might be important. I must admit that sailing in the solent, and even down the coast to the West Country, I have not been in the habit of telling anyone where and when I expect to be. Might need to reflect on that and change my practice.

William_H

Visit site
Bit of Fred drift but small boats can have some tight spots to get jammed in. I occasionally need to get down through quarter berth to inside transom. Sort of belly crawl. I now being old attach a heavy rope to the mast support post and drag that with me. Aids enormously in getting out. That's what happens when you get old. ol'will

Plum

Visit site
There was a case of someone falling into the gap between the engine and the side of the hull. The boat was in a marina. He laid there for many hours before someone came past. Complaining of back pain and near impossible to extract from the confined space. One option the rescue services discussed was to cut a long slot in the side of the hull just above the waterline to slide him out onto the pontoon!! Luckily, that was plan-b.

Gixer

Visit site
I met a now good friend of mine by pulling him by his legs out of a Bosun dinghy forward buoyancy tank. I was walking past the workshop at our club had heard him calling for help.

DanTribe

Visit site
I have had to be hauled out of a locker and lazarette feet first on more than one occasion. Places I never ventured into unless I knew assistance was at hand.
I'm finding that places I used to be able to access, like cockpit lockers, are becoming much smaller and more difficult to get out of.
The boat must be shrinking, not me getting larger or less flexible.

capnsensible

Visit site
I read or heard about a guy getting trapped in an aft cabin after accidently tripping his inflatable liferaft he was storing there. Dunno if its a myth, but if so, it's a good one....

When we had charter boats one of our staff, a short lady, had managed to fall headfirst into the top loading fridge she was cleaning. She was very embarrassed but relieved when I pulled her back out.....

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I read or heard about a guy getting trapped in an aft cabin after accidently tripping his inflatable liferaft he was storing there. Dunno if its a myth, but if so, it's a good one....

When we had charter boats one of our staff, a short lady, had managed to fall headfirst into the top loading fridge she was cleaning. She was very embarrassed but relieved when I pulled her back out.....

In an aircraft water landing you are told to don your life jacket bu DO NOT INFLATE IT until you have lest the aircraft for similar reasons

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Several years ago it took me the better part of two days to fit a new pedestal and autopilot motor to my Vancouver 34. Most of it was doubled up in a locker trying to keep various parts of my anatomy from destroying the Eberspacher and it's ducting whilst balancing an extremely heavy motor in one hand at arms length whilst working out how to get my other arm through a small opening to get a nut onto one of the protruding studs. I was in and out of that locker countless times with each time getting slower and slower and eventually requiring more and more assistance, which if Photodog were here he would testify to and also my increasing temper and language which was proportional to the time and frustration the job took. By Sunday afternoon I could barely walk to the shower block.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I got locked in the head when the door handle fell off and I pushed the bar through when trying to remount it.
The crew let me out but the week before I had been single handing and I could have been trapped below.
Never close head door on your own!
That's one helluva way to go, though haha. Trapped in the heads after some spicy chili.

But honestly? If it's really bad, you could kick the door in or pry it open somehow.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I have had to be hauled out of a locker and lazarette feet first on more than one occasion. Places I never ventured into unless I knew assistance was at hand.

Me too.
Here I was trying to get to the through hull fitting for the fridge in the cockpit locker of a friend's Vancouver 42.
She had to drag me back out (and we then had to dismantle the structure above to get access to it) as it was just beyond reach.
I certainly would not have tried doing this if I didn't have somebody who I could rely on to hoik me out.

P1060899.JPG

Last edited: