Man trapped on board his yacht

harvey38

Visit site
Shame he couldn't get to the press the distress button on a DSC VHF if he had one and certainly proves the worth of an AIS transponder.

Halo

Visit site
I got locked in the head when the door handle fell off and I pushed the bar through when trying to remount it.
The crew let me out but the week before I had been single handing and I could have been trapped below.
Never close head door on your own!

Mark-1

Visit site
Shame he couldn't get to the press the distress button on a DSC VHF if he had one and certainly proves the worth of an AIS transponder.

Agree, although I have good mobile signal in Newtown Creek so he was a little unlucky not to have Phone or Handheld VHF to hand.

My recollection is there was a stiff breeze with plenty of West in it on Saturday. Respect to him for sailing upwind all that way from Chi. I have a suspicion he left from a mooring near mine. If so, I'm looking forward to mercilessly taking the mick sympathetically listening to the full story.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I got locked in the head when the door handle fell off and I pushed the bar through when trying to remount it.
The crew let me out but the week before I had been single handing and I could have been trapped below.
Your pals would have had some craic in the pub singing "Oh dear what can the matter be, silly old Halo got stuck in the lavatory".

What? Irish Rover! No, he's not here. I just saw him grab his coat and leave in a hurry :giggle:.

benjenbav

Visit site
Boss from 30 years back was very amused by a (genuine) legal case involving the patron of a public lavatory who got stuck and tried to make his escape by climbing over the partition.

The injury occurred shortly after he put his foot and his whole weight onto the lavatory roll holder which - and this was the punchline - performed its design function and… rotated.

ylop

Visit site
Mmm... should I spend £600 on this box of electronics?
Well if you happen to get trapped in a freak situation and can't get out then when your shore contact (I assume someone alerted the CG he was overdue) calls for help the rescue services will find you a bit quicker...

Of course, he could just turn on location sharing with his loved one and then anywhere you have mobile signal they'd know where he was, and it would cost nothing.

steveeasy

Visit site
does not say what boat it was?. Id hazard a guess it was a CO 32. Dam table is utterly impossible to live with. I’ve removed mine and can now sit in places never before dreamt of sitting in. I do hope the man has recovered. Best wishes to him

Steveeasy

johnalison

Visit site
does not say what boat it was?. Id hazard a guess it was a CO 32. Dam table is utterly impossible to live with. I’ve removed mine and can now sit in places never before dreamt of sitting in. I do hope the man has recovered. Best wishes to him

Steveeasy
I would say that a Contessa 32 was a bit large for a 25’ boat. I did once hear of someone propelled backwards into the cave behind the heads in a Sadler 29 while relieving himself and getting stuck bum-first, having to be extracted. Sorry if you remember me telling this before.

William_H

Visit site
I can imagine various scenarios where one (aged and a bit infirmed) falling and being trapped between furniture pieces on a yacht. Just unable to lift yourself out. Some places can be quite tight in the quest to fit more furniture cupboards etc in a small hull. Fortunate they were able to locate his phone. A wholee new way to come to grief on a yacht when single handed. ol'will

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Slipped and fell down the companionway perhaps broken bones trapped next to chart table and companionway steps.
That very nearly happened to me - I slipped on the companionway, fell against the edge of the chart table and cracked a rib. I was completely winded, and I think I passed out for a short while; it seemed to take ages before I could move and get myself up again. Fortunately, I was mobile and could ring for help (my brother lived nearby). But I was in intense pain, and without nearby family, I'd probably have had to call 999. It would have been very easy to fall so that I was trapped by the saloon table. I could also have banged my head on the way down, knocking me unconscious. In either of the latter two cases, it might have been a while before I was found. I was lucky; sounds like this guy wasn't so lucky, and fortunately the emergency services were alerted.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
About 3/ 4 months age I was removing an engine from my boat on the hard I partially severed a tendon in my right hand and had to have an operation to repair it.

Exactly a week later I was cleaning the bilge where the engine was and I slipped and kicked myself out and needed stitched on the back of my head.

Wife heard the bang and cane to find out what hd happened and come of the guys in the yard who were having a BBQ came to my and wife's assistance.

To get me out of the bulge and down off the boat they had to rig a bosun's chair and lift me unconscious out of the bilge and down the side of the boat to the ground for a second visit to the ER in a week.

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
tbh you wouldn't really need to 😂 I't quite a relief (yes, pun) when I can use the head without an audience because there's much more room with the door open.

awol

Visit site

Steveeasy
I don't suffer much from my CO32 table - fold it out, lower it and you have a king-size bed across the boat. Where I'm more likely to get stuck is behind the chart table* when wearing full oilies. Later boats have a rounded corner on the chart table which is an improvement.
* A chart table is an anachronism used with paper charts requiring no GPS or even electrical input.