First Chartplotter

Touching Cloth

Visit site
I'm considering buying my first chartplotter. My yacht has ancient un-networked instruments, but I wish to upgrade them at a later date.

The Raymarine Element S units seem good value (my budget is limited), but I have a number of questions:

Can i connect via its WiFi to a tablet, and perform waypoint adjustments to it, or just view what it is currently displaying?

There are various chart formats available - which would be best for me - no racing - south coast/Solent marina hopping - (wife/children/dog..)?

Navionics charts without updates appear to be available very cheaply on EBay - any opinions?

Should I be looking at a different brand?

Thank you for your responses - be gentle with me.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
From recent posts over the last few months Raymarine appear to be producing goods that are not 'up to the standard expected', perhaps not quite in the Boeing league.

I am a dyed in to wool Garmin fan, even with my ancient GPSMap 740 just plugged and played when I added a NMEA2000 network with wind and water instrumentation. It even works with a Garmin Radar.

I have a pal who is looking to fit Orca kit I am awaiting feedback from him, but might be worth a look. I use their app on the phone when I am sailing on other boats, just to see where we are.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
As Garmin have some offers on, it’s worth a look at their products. They use standard ;NMEA2000 for connectivity. Raymarine use their own connectors, though the protocols are the same. You’d almost certainly spend less money with Garmin, though in my experience the Ray displays are brighter and sharper. Provided your sunglasses are not polarised. Mine are, I have to remove them to read the plotter on the boat I am racing on currently. My own boat is Garmin based, I don’t seem to need to on my own.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would recommend that you stay away from plotters at this stage. Instead buy a low cost or second hand tablet and load up Navionics.

The advantage of a plotter is in the integration with instruments, autohelm, AIS for example. As you are not doing that yet, then a plotter is a very expensive way of having digital charts.

You can get UK admiralty charts in raster format, from Memory Maps and then use the Memory Map App on a tablet for pennies. Or alternatively use the Navionics App.

Stay away from plotters until you’re ready to integrate instruments.

Memory-Map Outdoor Navigation Apps | Ordnance Survey | Hema Maps – Memory-Map GPS Mapping Apps for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android. Navigate with topographic maps or nautical charts offline. Download it free today.
https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb

All the best for whatever you decide.

ashtead

Visit site
I don’t know this model of Raymarine but our E version from 2015 connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and you then can make changes on iPad . I suggest if you are near port Solent on basis you mention Solent I guess you are you visit marine superstore to have a play with devices on display. I’m sure other retailers exist and they also have Garmin. On raymarine it’s raymarine remote and if you go to App Store you can download app.
A word of warning in that updating the navionics chips on raymarine is very pricy around£200 plus and a chip might be an extra on base price of plotter.You van update on an iPad for far less with navionics -when below I actually tend to take position etc from navionics on the pad though as opposed to the Bluetooth to plotter.
As a starter to plotter why not try the navionics on your device ?
I’m sure if you give your general location others might suggest dealers local to you or of course go to boat show where many models on display.
The other thing which might interest is a one day course at the raymarine offices -ask raymarine if any upcoming. I did one on radar using raymarine kit and quite helpful and a good independent instructor .

Refueler

Visit site
I would recommend that you stay away from plotters at this stage. Instead buy a low cost or second hand tablet and load up Navionics.

The advantage of a plotter is in the integration with instruments, autohelm, AIS for example. As you are not doing that yet, then a plotter is a very expensive way of having digital charts.

You can get UK admiralty charts in raster format, from Memory Maps and then use the Memory Map App on a tablet for pennies. Or alternatively use the Navionics App.

Stay away from plotters until you’re ready to integrate instruments.

Memory-Map Outdoor Navigation Apps | Ordnance Survey | Hema Maps – Memory-Map GPS Mapping Apps for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android. Navigate with topographic maps or nautical charts offline. Download it free today.
https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb

All the best for whatever you decide.

I would narrow that down further to JUST Navionics on a tablet. The one subscription allows you to download and setup on more than one tablet / smartphone ... later if you invest in a plotter - it can integrate with the plotter ...

There are many offerings out there - but the Navionics app + Chart subscription in terms of budgeting - extremely cost effective, updated charts - literally daily updates, integration with plotters etc. - good.

Should you install WiFi on board - it will accept WiFi data input to the app .....

My setup (I do not propose this to OP - its just an example of the App and Subscrition charting) :

I have two plotters .... plus supported other...

ONWA Plotter at chart table with built in AIS connected to a WiFi / USB / NMEA 'distributor'. It has both K-Charts (free and actually very good) as well as a 2023 expired Navionics SD card charting.
Garmin 92HD MFD in cockpit, receives AIS and other data from the 'distributor' via WiFi. This has updatable charting Garmin based Navionics + expired for outside Swedish waters.
8" pocket sized Android tablet with Navionics Charting subscription - also accepts AIS and other data via WiFi - annual subscription service.
Samsung smartphone Navionics Charting subscription - also accepts AIS and other data via WiFi - on same subscription
PC based plotting that receives data either via USB or WiFi - depending on which plotting program I want to use - I have Commercial as well as Retail programs as part of my work.

Visitors / guests on board can log into my 'distributor' and receive data on their tablet / smartphone ..

Why such setup ? Because I can !! And it enables me to be anywhere on the boat and know what's happening ...

The Tablet with Navionics allows me to plan at home ... upload and transfer to the 92HD etc. TBH - out of all the Nav possibilities - the tablet + Navionics is my favourite and wins hands down.

onesea

Visit site
Are your ancient un-networked instruments network able?
Some just don't bother to network.

What will networking actually give you? More complexity? What gains?

We networked primarily to get Position data to GMDSS and wind data to autopilot.

Worth googling Onwa as mentioned above, it's not touch screen but has allot of capability for the price. They do take cheap navionics charts from eBay too.

WiFi is extra but what is that going to give you if you don't have instruments or AIS attached?

If your on a budget watch for the need for subscriptions.

I recently bought a cheap tablet from Facebook for £30 that now has Navigation apps.

Refueler

Visit site
Are your ancient un-networked instruments network able?
Some just don't bother to network.

What will networking actually give you? More complexity? What gains?
[/QUOTE]

Networking can be beneficial if you want to send data to another unit to display on a MFD as example ... or AIS to a non AIS display etc. Personally because I use the NMEA4WiFi distributor item .. I do not need or want NMEA2000 ... 0183 from whatever instrument is commingled and sent out - the receiving unit then using whatever sentences it needs.
We networked primarily to get Position data to GMDSS and wind data to autopilot.

Worth googling Onwa as mentioned above, it's not touch screen but has allot of capability for the price. They do take cheap navionics charts from eBay too.

WiFi is extra but what is that going to give you if you don't have instruments or AIS attached?
[/QUOTE]

Anyone who comes on my boats can login to the WiFi and receive position data and other ...

If your on a budget watch for the need for subscriptions.

I recently bought a cheap tablet from Facebook for £30 that now has Navigation apps.

As I posted ... the Boating and Lakes App + navionics chart subscription is one of the best services out there .. and I am a very hard person to please !! My Headwolf tablet cost me about 110 quid ... has fast processor ... twin SIM .... SD card to 128GB .... fast screen ..... makes iPads and Samsung tablets look pedestrian !! Slips into my jacket pocket at 8" ... battery life is excellent (I also have a powerbank I carry just in case).
I considered 10 and 11" versions - but being able to slip into my pocket really makes it so convenient and screen is still easily read ..

fredrussell

Visit site
The nice thing about tablets for nav is that they add an exciting air of mystery to things when the sun is bright and you can’t make out the screen any more. Makes you rely on paper charts a bit more. Your paper chart skills will be sharpened further when water gets in the tablet charging port.
Joking aside, tablets great but I haven’t used mine since I installed a plotter at helm. Garmin is my choice, charts included with Echomap models, though upgrades are extortionate. Echomap plotters take chart cards but can’t remember what type.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
When someone says "a plotter" the next question needs to be "in the cockpit or at the nav table?"

At the nav table the advantages of plotter over a tablet don't seem huge to me. In the cockpit, if that fits your use more, the extra waterproofing/robustness/brightness justify themselves. But so many people have plotters at the nav table and it works for them, so there must be more in it than I think.

In or out, I'd always prefer the one with a bright clear screen, easy to understand interface and smooth scroll and zoom over the size of the feature list. I tried out various different brands in shops and am glad I did - I really disliked the Garmins so quite a bit must be a matter of taste here.

Refueler

Visit site
The nice thing about tablets for nav is that they add an exciting air of mystery to things when the sun is bright and you can’t make out the screen any more. Makes you rely on paper charts a bit more. Your paper chart skills will be sharpened further when water gets in the tablet charging port.
Joking aside, tablets great but I haven’t used mine since I installed a plotter at helm. Garmin is my choice, charts included with Echomap models, though upgrades are extortionate. Echomap plotters take chart cards but can’t remember what type.

My 92HD updates are free at present via that crap Active Captain mess !! Logon - logoff - logon etc. !!

Tip : To waterproof a tablet and still keep touch screen ... Clingfilm. carefully smoothed across screen - folded round sides and set at back.

I have used clingfilm to waterproof keychain video cameras ... and other electronics .... the film is thin enough to not affect lense etc.

I'm considering using it to stop my 92HD from having its fits !! My 92HD is mounted into the fwd stbd bulkhead in cockpit ...... If it rains - water splashes - all is fine - 92HD carries on working fine. But if water runs down from cabin top to cockpit - it flows over the screen and throws a fit ... I have to switch off and restart it ... I thought about a sun shield as its crap to read in sunlight as well - but clingfilm may be enough for the water problem ... the tablet in the shade solves the other.

Refueler

Visit site
When someone says "a plotter" the next question needs to be "in the cockpit or at the nav table?"

At the nav table the advantages of plotter over a tablet don't seem huge to me. In the cockpit, if that fits your use more, the extra waterproofing/robustness/brightness justify themselves. But so many people have plotters at the nav table and it works for them, so there must be more in it than I think.

In or out, I'd always prefer the one with a bright clear screen, easy to understand interface and smooth scroll and zoom over the size of the feature list. I tried out various different brands in shops and am glad I did - I really disliked the Garmins so quite a bit must be a matter of taste here.

My 38 has both Chart table and Cockpit plotters - we can ignore the link up .....

Why the two ? I like to let others get on with helming / sailing the boat and I step back and let them enjoy it. I'll provide the support of wine / cheese and baguette etc ... but also nice to be able to relax at table and keep an eye on progress. If I have a chart there - saves having to go to cockpit plotter to get position ...

Those are only two reasons of many that come to mind ...

Pal of mine like many - only has plotter at helm position ... once or twice he's commented its nice to have two like mine ...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I'm considering buying my first chartplotter. My yacht has ancient un-networked instruments, but I wish to upgrade them at a later date.

The Raymarine Element S units seem good value (my budget is limited), but I have a number of questions:

Can i connect via its WiFi to a tablet, and perform waypoint adjustments to it, or just view what it is currently displaying?

There are various chart formats available - which would be best for me - no racing - south coast/Solent marina hopping - (wife/children/dog..)?

Navionics charts without updates appear to be available very cheaply on EBay - any opinions?

Should I be looking at a different brand?

Thank you for your responses - be gentle with me.
I would go with a Garmin Echomap. Comes with full UK charts, will connect to your tablet. You can also use the app on your tablet as a stand alone plotter by download the charts from Garmin, FOC, providing the tablet has GPS. It has standard NMEA 2000 and also has a NMEA0183 port, which Raymarine no longer have on their plotters. Garmin customer support is a million times better than Raymarine. If you decide on an Echomap, make sure it supports AIS, there is an odd model or two that do not.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
My 38 has both Chart table and Cockpit plotters - we can ignore the link up .....

Why the two ? I like to let others get on with helming / sailing the boat and I step back and let them enjoy it. I'll provide the support of wine / cheese and baguette etc ... but also nice to be able to relax at table and keep an eye on progress. If I have a chart there - saves having to go to cockpit plotter to get position ...

Those are only two reasons of many that come to mind ...

Pal of mine like many - only has plotter at helm position ... once or twice he's commented its nice to have two like mine ...
Doesn't have to be two plotters though. With a modern, wifi enabled plotter at the helm and a tablet down below you get the benefits you mention for the cost of a cheap tablet.

I have no idea why you are getting the problems you describe with your Garmin plotter, i've never seen or heard of such things.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Our plotter is bulkhead flush mounted in the cockpit. It never crossed my mind to have it down below. Why bother with all the info if you have to go below to get it. Look at your ‘plotter’ as just another big instrument display. You may not need full screen chart all the time, you can put speed, wind, and/or depth on display, maybe with your networked displays on the other side of the companionway. Tacking up a shore line, that is a real asset.

Refueler

Visit site
Doesn't have to be two plotters though. With a modern, wifi enabled plotter at the helm and a tablet down below you get the benefits you mention for the cost of a cheap tablet.

I have no idea why you are getting the problems you describe with your Garmin plotter, i've never seen or heard of such things.

My setup has come about because of gear used over significant time ... it has basically grown that way.

Of course if I was to setup from scratch again - I would reduce the number of units and use the wifi to better advantage.

The water problem with the 92HD - myself and quite a few others have tried to find out why - but just no indication of why ... no water getting behind the unit ... no water getting in card slot ... but it only happens when water flows down the screen - not when it 'hits' the screen as when rain or splashes. We think it may be something to do with touchscreen ...

Refueler

Visit site
Our plotter is bulkhead flush mounted in the cockpit. It never crossed my mind to have it down below. Why bother with all the info if you have to go below to get it. Look at your ‘plotter’ as just another big instrument display. You may not need full screen chart all the time, you can put speed, wind, and/or depth on display, maybe with your networked displays on the other side of the companionway. Tacking up a shore line, that is a real asset.

My smaller boat - plotter sits on top of the engine box so it can be viewed in cabin or in cockpit by just swivelling it ... it also WiFi's out.

If I had only one plotter on the 38 - yes cockpit mounted as you say. I happen to have 4 plotters ... two PC's fully geared up ... two tablets and a smartphone with Navionics app ... accrued over years of boating and shipping. Plus the 2 Multiplexors .... one on each boat.

ashtead

Visit site
I think one advantage of Bluetooth linked tablet is that you can log positions down below in logbook or on your paper chart say at hourly intervals etc while others helm etc plus keep an eye out via Ais for big ships when crossing channel . It’s far easier to do this than trying to work out on a plotter by your knees or in front of wheel etc. I guess the plotter is better for immediate info eg entering harbour and a separate device for planning ahead and backup. If you have a 12.8 device you get a decent sized screen far cheaper than a plotter equivalent for below and you don’t really need all the brackets and cases. Plus if you have a cheap tablet say an old iPad 2 which runs navionics as well you can sit under sprayhood to watch out on map if your plotter is at wheel. Now clearly before some says it you can put plotter under hood but then it’s not near the wheel really. The real advantage of plotter is waypoints and autpilot but as OP isn’t there yet that falls away. As a non tech user I also find Garmin easier to control to raymarine BTW.

mrangry

Visit site
I have just purchased a Doogee R10 tablet to mirror my b&g plotter. The tablet was under £200 and waterproof. Also has gps, wifi and endless other connectivity. If I didnt have a plotter at the helm I would start with one of these with Navionics loaded onto it for £40.

Refueler

Visit site
I think one advantage of Bluetooth linked tablet is that you can log positions down below in logbook or on your paper chart say at hourly intervals etc while others helm etc plus keep an eye out via Ais for big ships when crossing channel . It’s far easier to do this than trying to work out on a plotter by your knees or in front of wheel etc. I guess the plotter is better for immediate info eg entering harbour and a separate device for planning ahead and backup. If you have a 12.8 device you get a decent sized screen far cheaper than a plotter equivalent for below and you don’t really need all the brackets and cases. Plus if you have a cheap tablet say an old iPad 2 which runs navionics as well you can sit under sprayhood to watch out on map if your plotter is at wheel. Now clearly before some says it you can put plotter under hood but then it’s not near the wheel really. The real advantage of plotter is waypoints and autpilot but as OP isn’t there yet that falls away. As a non tech user I also find Garmin easier to control to raymarine BTW.

Bluetooth or WiFi ......