Looking ahead

fireball

Visit site
Just looking ahead to the doldrums - wondering what path to aim for .... I know it is too early to plan too much, but at this speed we'll be there in 4 days or so .... and flippin eck - that weather chart looks awkward!!

Looking at the chart for 19th I'd guess that we'd be best to stay on the African side, but if we're in the area early then it looks better in the middle to west side ... and if we're late we don't want the head winds - so would be better going even further west!!

Hmm ....

Dipper

Visit site
I've been looking at it as well. It depends on your arrival time but if you hit a calmer patch slightly earlier or longer than expected, all your calculations could go out the window.

Maybe it's best to set a compass course and come back several days later to see what has happened.

There could be major losses or gains. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

fireball

Visit site
I wouldn't if I were you .... over the last 36 hours I've overtaken Dipper, then fallen 20+ miles behind and now just about closing the gap again ....
in the meantime, Morgana has caught up and is only 36Nm away, I haven't checked out the rest of the fleet - I darn't!!

It's certainly fun .... perhaps this is the time to own up to hours spent at the nav seat ....

I'll go first ...

During the week:
I log in around 7am when I get up to check how badly I planned the previous night.
Then leave it until around 8:45 when I get into work - then it is on in the background most of the day
When I get home, it is back onto the laptop and it will be on all evening so I can keep an eye on what is going on - usually I'll apply a few tweaks to the course during the evening
Until around 11pm (or there abouts) when I have to get my beauty sleep (I need it!).

Once (and only once!), during the inport race, I woke up around 4am, checked the boat, applied a course change and went back to sleep!!

Right - now come on everyone else - spill the beans!

BrendanS

Visit site
I look quite often, but tend to leave it on autopilot most of the time, and don't tweak as often as maybe I should. Probably cause I don't have a clue what I'm doing most of the time, so wait until I get a pm saying 'GYBE YOU BLOODY IDIOT' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
Confession time.

In the Med up at 3 am to check and adjust.

On most of the day. I don't have to go to work. I can't remember where that is anyway. Is it on the chart?

Woke at 3am today so checked then couldn't get back to bloody sleep again so read a book, rechecked at 5:30 then breakfast and off down club to help with lifting boats out until 1pm.

Got my boat lift out tomorrow at 6:30 plus others and more boats on Friday.

Please please let me get past Mrs Fireball's anchorage before bedtime.

fireball

Visit site
Mrs F has just threatened me with no dinner unless I say that running aground during the practice race was my fault and that she only ran amuck afterwards ..... (still trying to find a better anchorage than I did I assume!)

Spyro

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm closing only 1.5nm behind Morgana now

[/ QUOTE ]
And he is only 3.2 miles behind me.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dipper

Visit site
I just realised that my screen had frozen for the last half hour and I hadn't moved. I closed the program and restarted and it jumped 7 miles. I nearly missed the gap between the islands.

Could Fireball have given me a virus?

Are Mrs F and Mrs D sticking pins into an image of my boat?

Or was it the Windows automatic update that popped up as I was about to shut the computer down?

I think I'm going to have to behave. Someone's got it in for me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif