Liability issues for skippers

dralex

Visit site
Are there any liability issues we should know about if people we don't really know are coming with us on our boats, especially inexperienced sailors? Sorry for such a paranoid question, but **** does happen.

G

Re: Liability issues for skippers ... I suppose some one had to ask !

If it pains you ...... a short letter signed by other accepting that no responsibility is carried by skipper or owner of the vessel ... etc.

But as its forum members basically going on this and NOT open house -- is it really necessary >>> ??? Sad if it is ...

Sorry to be rude ...

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

dralex

Visit site
Re: Liability issues for skippers ... I suppose some one had to ask !

Like I say, **** happens. I'm taking someone who I don't know, is a very new forum member and has never sailed on a yacht before, and only in dinghies a couple of times. I am not a sailing school, just someone willing to let someone have a go and hopefully really enjoy it. I would like to think nothing will go wrong, and in all probablity it won't. The guy sounds sensible and accepts sailing is potentially dangerous.

I'm in a profession where the vast majority of the time, everything goes perfectly, but the odd time people don't take your advice and things go wrong, they try to blame you. The tolerant view can easily change. This is not casting judgement on anyone, just being realisitc

Does being a forum member make people immune from the current society expectations and blame culture?

tome

www.google.co.uk
Alex

If it's any comfort I've taken several previously un-met forumites to Cherbourg and it's been a pleasure (so far). Worth asking if they have any medical conditions or special dietary requirements. Make sure they present their passports and any medication before you go.

Some crew will be looking to gain logged passages for YM etc and I'll generally let someone else skipper the boat back if I'm happy with their outward leg. Gives them a valuable qualifying passage and me a lie-in! Obviously, they need to present a sound passage plan beforehand.

Since I never charge crew they are there as my guests and there are no additional insurance or liability issues that I'm aware of. No form of written disclaimer can waive your liability as skipper/owner - whether family, forumites or friends.

jimi

Visit site
Alex, FWIW I'd go for a short sail with the guy before committing cos if he's really inexperienced and its just the two of you its a long way if you're sailing the boat and nursemaiding as well if the worst happens and he's incompetent, lacking in common sense, has BO, blocks the heads, is a raving transvestite and likes Cleine Dion blasting away on the CD.

dralex

Visit site
Thanks Jimi, good advice. Going for a sail with him this weekend and also hopefully got another experienced friend coming along to Cherbourg.

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
When I am going on boats with new peeps, I spend the first few hours just going over basics i.e. I don't untie the boat before they know how to
tie it back up
throw a rope,
can walk around the boat safely
know how a life jacked, radio works,
also where to turn the engines off or on.
then a few simple rules,

always say when going out on deck, and when back from being on deck,
let me know where they will be if not within site.

If in unsure ask, doe's not matter how silly they think question is ask it anyway.

this is more power boats stuff but would use similar things on a sail boat.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Alex
As one of the people sticking their neck out to organise this event, there is no difference to any other sailing trip - Skippers must make their own decisions about who to take, weather interpretations, passage plans etc. The only aspect which is actually organised is the meal. We will also be in contact with the Capitanerie, so they are prepared for the invasion.

Seperately, As a skipper myself, I generally go along with what the others have said, although I have had one bad experience.

I now have a policy whereby I won't take a complete stranger across the channel. I either need to know them myself, or they must be known to somebody else who I trust (a bit like a reference).

If neither of the above, I would arrange to go out for a day sail in advance, as you have done. Don't feel obliged, be prepared to turn them away. Not a problem for somebody like you who is very experienced in giving bad news, but for others this might not be easy once they have struck up a rapport.

gregmlucas

www.datacentricity.net
It can be just as worrying sailing with an unknown skipper for the first time (especially for inexperienced crew).

When I first got interested in sailing last year, I asked if anyone needed crew on another forum. Got two invites straight away. The first from a (brit) couple moving their boat around Florida, were quite happy to give up the fwd cabin if my wife came too, the other invite was Hamble based.

SWMBO (who doesn't sail... yet) was convinced that the first boat would be all wife swappers and the second would be some kind of raging shirt lifter or axe-murderer.

The reality was that the couple in Florida were very genuine and friendly - only offering a place for SWMBO when I said I wouldn't be allowed two weeks to go sailing on my own! Turns out they were good friends of another member of the same forum who I've since met. The second invite turned out to be one of the safer skippers that I've sailed with - especially for a newbie.

Maybe this says more about my wife's view of the world than the usefulness of sailing forums /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I think the key thing here is common sense. I wouldn't have considered flying out to Florida for two weeks sailing with an unknown skipper anyway (esp. as a novice) but a day out in the Solent was a different, hopefully less risky matter.

Before getting my berth for Cherbourg with a skipper I sail with regularly, I'd contacted another forumite who may have had places, suggesting a meet for a beer or a day sail before the Scuttlebut event. Gives both parties an opportunity to change their minds.

As I say, just common sense.

Cheers,

. . Greg

G

Whats a .....

yiiipp or what ever it is in your signature ???

Colin_S

Visit site
Last year's trip was my first sail too and it's only thanks to generous people like you that the likes of me get to enjoy and experience sailing. In every case on a first outing on a strange boat I've been very impressed with the professionalism of the skippers with regards to safety issues including making sure I was clipped on when redecorating the hull (sorry Ian).
Well done Alex for making the offer and I'm sure you'll have a great time.