Lewmar V2/3 - slightly embarrassed in B&Q

Halo

Visit site
The management said we needed some new garden furniture so we went to B&Q. Got some good stuff cheap and were about to leave when it rained - so we stayed in the B&Q exit. Then I saw the sign which said they rent equipment to do your next job. It was still raining so I said to the boss that I was going to see if they would rent me a 3 leg puller to sort out my Lewmar V2/3 windlass.
So I went back in and asked the young woman on the till if she would rent me a 3 leg puller. The look I got was amazing and put me on the purvey scale in her eyes. I stood my ground and she called over a manager who looked it all up and decided that they may be able to do it but the only way to find out was to go on their website.
Just shows how easy it for an old bloke to be misunderstood!!

starfire

Visit site
Don't go near the place since they started self Checkout only.

The last time, I dumped my purchases at the till, when asked why I would not use the self checkout, I replied "I don't work here"

sailorbenji

Visit site

The last time, I dumped my purchases at the till, when asked why I would not use the self checkout, I replied "I don't work here"
Too right my friend, and be damned if it would have been 10x quicker simply to use the self-checkouts. They'll be outlawing cheques soon and demanding we use blasted contactless payments. The day I give up my Nokia 3210 is the day they put me in a hole in the ground.

Sent from iPhone

Neeves

Visit site

Don't worry - it may all end in tears, for the stores.

Here the talk is that Coles, one of our supermarkets, is considering closing self check out as people are intentionally or accidentally forgetting to scan all of their groceries - causing considerable losses to Coles.

starfire

Visit site

Being a Yorkshireman, I might have thought about it, if they offer say 10% off.

Nope, reduce the staff & get the customer to do the work, more profit.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
The management said we needed some new garden furniture so we went to B&Q. Got some good stuff cheap and were about to leave when it rained - so we stayed in the B&Q exit. Then I saw the sign which said they rent equipment to do your next job. It was still raining so I said to the boss that I was going to see if they would rent me a 3 leg puller to sort out my Lewmar V2/3 windlass.
So I went back in and asked the young woman on the till if she would rent me a 3 leg puller. The look I got was amazing and put me on the purvey scale in her eyes. I stood my ground and she called over a manager who looked it all up and decided that they may be able to do it but the only way to find out was to go on their website.
I think they keep 3 leg pullers on the shelves next to the Tartan paint, lengths of Shore line, Long Stands, Long Weights and the Sky hooks…

johnalison

Visit site
I like self check-outs. If nothing else it saves me from having a bored young lady wishing me a nice day with all the sincerity of a politician. Unfortunately, the management won't do selfing and Waitrose have ripped out half the tills and replaced them with selfie-jobs, so it means queuing with the other dinosaurs.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I like self check-outs. If nothing else it saves me from having a bored young lady wishing me a nice day with all the sincerity of a politician. Unfortunately, the management won't do selfing and Waitrose have ripped out half the tills and replaced them with selfie-jobs, so it means queuing with the other dinosaurs.
And waiting behind some elderly biddy whose only social contact is a half-hour chat with a bored till girl! I'm sorry for the lady, but I don't think holding everyone else up is a good way to meet the social need.

A bit like people in cars who politely give way to a car coming in from the side without considering that there are people behind who are being inconvenienced!

jwilson

Visit site
.snipped ...
A bit like people in cars who politely give way to a car coming in from the side without considering that there are people behind who are being inconvenienced!
... And when it is you that is waiting to turn, and they are the last car in a long line of oncoming traffic with nothing behind. If they were aware of that they'd know that you would be able to turn or proceed much faster if they just carried on, rather than slowed down and waited till you were quite sure they were pointlessly giving way. Nice people, bad drivers.

Seastoke

Visit site
I bought 3 x3 leg pullers off bq website £12 free delivery and are strong.

johnalison

Visit site
It is something I bear in mind when I feel disposed to do the same thing. Sometimes it is the right thing to do, when continuous traffic makes pulling out near impossible. More often it is what I call 'aggressive courtesy', where an indifferent or worse driver tries to give himself brownie points for being a good boy (always men, since women never give way). Worse still are the drivers who stop for you to pull out and then go on to tailgate you.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I buy all my postage online as I got fed up with the third degree in the local post office. "What's in it?" "Any batteries", puffing the package up so it rubs on the little plastic letter box and charging me next size up.

I got my own back whilst dropping off a sample required by the vasectomy clinic post snip. "What's in it?". The rest, they say, is history.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It is something I bear in mind when I feel disposed to do the same thing. Sometimes it is the right thing to do, when continuous traffic makes pulling out near impossible. More often it is what I call 'aggressive courtesy', where an indifferent or worse driver tries to give himself brownie points for being a good boy (always men, since women never give way). Worse still are the drivers who stop for you to pull out and then go on to tailgate you.
My first wife learnt to drive in London, and she said that her driving instructor advised her that if she needed to get out of a side-street and there was heavy traffic, smiling sweetly at a taxi driver would nearly always do it!

Neeves

Visit site
We ran a small business in HK. Manilla and Bangkok were common destinations for a weekend.

In my first foray to an Australian supermarket I was inveigled into the necessity of having conversation with the girl at the till. She was charming had a winsome smile and a blouse a bit too low cut for a supermarket.

The groceries were scanned and the total announced. But with the total was a standard Australian addition 'would I like anything extra?'. No mention of 'darl'. An expression alien in Hong Kong. My charming wife had set me up - and was having a quiet chortle.

In Bangkok and Manillla the request was, or would be, so easily understood. I was stumped.

Discretion, rather than valour was required - and I declined the offer.

Jonathan