JPK 39FC

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I hate running boat engines when hard on the wind in bumpy conditions plus using them for charging knackers them quite quickly. Minimum run of 45 mins, pref 1 hour, under proper load has always been my policy. So, its has to be either hydrogen or fuel cell. A bit of a coin toss, pros and cons for both.
I'm sure I'll get shot down by some but WTF.
We find our solar keeps up with our relatively modest needs. You’d easily get 200 watts worth in semi flexible panels on your deck.

Reactions: r_h

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Am getting the wiring for semi flexible panels installed at the build. What type/make of panels do you have??
Ours are cheapos from fleabay. Connected to Victron MPPT controllers, but the panels are basic unbranded from China. It all surprises me by continuing to work very well. We have 150 watts fully connected, and another one we connect directly to our Epropulsion charger. We have room for a bunch more, but then, if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

doris

Visit site
Ours are cheapos from fleabay. Connected to Victron MPPT controllers, but the panels are basic unbranded from China. It all surprises me by continuing to work very well. We have 150 watts fully connected, and another one we connect directly to our Epropulsion charger. We have room for a bunch more, but then, if it ain’t broke, why fix it?
With your five acre netting I expect you have room for about 2k watts!!! But as you say………
I want to get some that have cringles of some form so that I can easily shift them around whenever. I suspect they will spend a fair amount of time folded up in a cabin. But when we’re easing along in the sunshine…………
E propulsion …….. very cool!!!

Numbers

Visit site
Jet thrusters need at least 24v to be forceful enough, preferably 48. The electrical system to support that is impractical.
Am not having a bow thruster due to the 100% certainty that one day a drop down thruster will fail and it will be at the worst moment. I’d rather learn to get by without one.
Doris - I thought in a previous post you mentioned going with a new Lewmar drop down and had accepted that one day it will cause trouble ... did you decide against it?

I reckon as soon as you have a second person on board, it will make docking less of an issue.... but as I am solo 100% of the time, I think a bow thruster is just something I need?

And if I may, can I clarify ... is a 24 volt system not even an option on the JPK? With a windlass and electric winch, I thought a 24V system might be the way to go?

doris

Visit site
Doris - I thought in a previous post you mentioned going with a new Lewmar drop down and had accepted that one day it will cause trouble ... did you decide against it?

I reckon as soon as you have a second person on board, it will make docking less of an issue.... but as I am solo 100% of the time, I think a bow thruster is just something I need?

And if I may, can I clarify ... is a 24 volt system not even an option on the JPK? With a windlass and electric winch, I thought a 24V system might be the way to go?
A girl can change her mind can’t she???😄😄
I’ll very occasionally be solo but mostly will be 2/4 up. Docking will always be tricky with twin rudders but best I learn how to do it properly, and get a couple of big fenders!
The near certainty of a drop down failing at some time, Sod’s Law says the worst possible time of course, plus the cost put me off. Yes I know others have a very different view but different folks, different strokes. I’m sure I’m going to miss having one at some stage but KISS is, IMHO, an very important part of boating and I’m trying to listen to me inner soul and keep to this.
I’m sure 24 volts could be an option but I do not want a 24 volt windlass, way out of the mainstream, and I’ve seen too many complicated electrical systems give eternal problems. And I certainly don’t wan’t separate systems for thruster and windlass. Also I couldn’t find anyone who had used a jet thruster on a similar sized boat.
The credit for not getting a Volvo two bladed prop was going to be about €300 so I decided to stay with it to start with. If I don’t enjoy it I’ll get a three bladed feathering prop next season. Going forward there won’t be much, if any, difference but instant power astern will be a huge help when parking. I have used a three bladed feather stream for the last couple of seasons and it is brilliant. In fast and just put the brakes on, what’s not to like?👍😄
I’m going to the yard again next week, it’s out of the mould so the whole thing is getting a tad exciting!!