Inconsiderate Mooring

Chill

Visit site
It was Friday afternoon we had a good run from Windsor up to Cookham where we were planning on mooring for the night. There were two spaces left as you come under the bridge which were too small for us and our friends to moor in. the boats already moored did not seem very forthcoming. It was only when we caught their attention to the fact there were 8 to 12 feet gaps between them they seemed to stir. We squeezed in to our very tight spot having to lower our tender. We then went up to assist in getting our friends moored. Two boats dropped back which left one to be moved up (there was approx 12 feet in front) we were told NO I DON’T WANT THAT GIN PALACE BEHIND ME.. We all took it in turns and repeated our request and eventually the owner reluctantly agreed, we moved the boat and our friend was able to moor.
I must say this has saddened me and put a real downer to the start of the weekend. What made it worse was after some friends rafted next to us later that afternoon the chap in front of us made a comment `I may as well have stayed at my marina referring to the rafted boat blocking his view`
This our first full season on the Thames I don’t think we were being unreasonable asking the boats to move so we could moor.
This wanting to leave a large gap is also apparent when waiting for the locks.

The rest of the weekend was great apart from the usual bank holiday weather.

Oh one moor thing there was a 50’ narrow boat at Cookham too…

Geoff

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Although we frequently rant on here about Narrow Boats taking up mooring space there are awkward cruiser owners too!
One very common reason for large distances between boats is owners who are to say the least 'nervous' about getting too close to other boats. Antisocial behaviour is not restricted to particular boat types but their owners!

Only one NB at Cookham??? I'd call that a good day ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gumpy

Visit site
It works both ways I am afraid.
Over Easter we wanted to moor above Boveney on the EA moorings there. There was enough space but it was all in 20-25ft gaps between cruisers which is quite dificult to fit a 60ft barge into. I came in as close as I was comfortable with, tried to ask if it was possible to get boats moved so we could moor but was ignored.

So its not just Narrowboaters that take this attitude, having said that if it had been narrowboats moored there I would just have come alongside and forced the case to either move or let me raft. However its a bit difficult doing that with a barge that weighs 35ton and cruisers /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In the end we found a mooring just upstream of the bend.

I personally think that it is a trait of society in general rather than just one type, which is a pity.

Oh and the number of times I get told that canals are not for boats like mine................

Julian

Brayman

Visit site
I've normally found regular Cookham moorers to be quite good at moving to accommodate new arrivals, but at the same time have also received comments when we have someone rafted alongside - normally the other half of the skipper that has made the comment however.
The large gaps left between moorers is usually for "someone coming along later", when they move as quick as a shot. Rafting is a long education that is being furthered by the increase in NB traffic I feel.

mr_bosun

Visit site
I concur with the sentiment about it being the individuals not the type of boaters. I am predominately a narrow boater, and have come across the rudeness and arrogance from boat the canal and river fraternities. Interesting reaction early this year when I was with a small flotilla who came down the Thames and then onto the Medway, where the locals initiated a barge of VHF traffic about the floating junk yard. Could have a heard a pin drop when they realised we had radios. Animosity subsequently thawed and they seemed like a decent, if gin palace bunch!

nickcred

Visit site
Re: Inconsiderate locking

Hi All,

Seems to be the way this season. Having been unable to moor at Marlow Narowboats and cruisers both rafted up due to lunch and bad weather. We decided to go back to Bourne End. We had locked through ourselves on the way upstream due to lunch and with Strong Stream Warnings were pleased to see another crusier had just entered the lock as we headed back down. The lock gates were no more than half closed as we approached. Despite looking at us as we approached the gates and my waving, my son stood on the bow, the particularly nice gentleman continued to close the gates and leave us outside, turning his back on us to continue the pretence that he had not seen us. This left us on the middle landing stage with no way to the lock or a difficult manouvre in a strong stream close to the weir to get onto the landing stage that would give us access to the lock controls. With a young child and nervous wife on board we decided to wait the 30 minutes for the lcok keeper to return. Unfortunately I was unable to see the name of the boat concerned as I would willingly put it on here as it was the most unhelpfull and inpolite piece of boating I have experienced since we started.

My teenage son was so astounded that when we were waiting he shouted something that luckily I did not hear at the said boater but probably expressed exactly what I was feeling at the time.

Many is the time we have had the lock gates closed, yes and hand wound as in this case and opened them again to admit a fellow boater. In bad weather and strong streams I hope he felt good as he exited the lock and experienced someone equally as helpfull at the next lock himself.

Luckily so far that has been the exception and not the rule when it comes to the joys of the river.

Nick

BG1

Visit site
Don't forget everything may not be as first appears when you come across medium size gaps either side of a largish cruiser. There may have been 20' day cruisers moored either side, which then went home, leaving what appears to be inconsiderate mooring. With the right approach, I'm sure most folk wouldn't mind moving up or dropping back (easier if its a large cruiser).

byron

RIP
Visit site
I work on the assumption that when boaters leave huge gaps at moorings and laybys it is because they are inexperienced or not very competant boat handlers.

DWT

Visit site
I think many people like to hold with the notion that they can find a secluded mooring where they can feel like they are isolated from the stresses of the modern world. Then someone comes along and spoils it all by squeezing into a space near them. Coming alongside would be a complete invasion of their space.

Last year we got up as far as Abingdon with the intention of staying overnight there. There was only one space just above the bridge between a couple of narrow boats which we could just about squeeze into with inches to spare either side. On one of the NBs was a couple touching up their paintwork and the way they ignored us spoke volumes. Presumably they were upset at my mucky diesels spewing fumes over their new paintwork. The idea that they might offer to take a rope to help with a quite tricky manouvre was clearly not on their agenda at all.

As it hapened we decided to abandon Abingdon and head down to a much quieter spot at Dorchester. We wriggled out of the space, again without even a glance from our neighbours. As we passed them my wife decided to force a reaction with a loud and cheery "Byeee".

Interestingly this brought a surprisingly bright response, but probably because they were glad to see the back of us.

Brayman

Visit site

Nick, if you find yourself stuck outside Marlow lock again, there is an easier way to get onto the lock. Go round the back of the layby island (ie away from the weir) and approach the lock from there, you will see there is a single mooring spot on the left where you can tie up and get onto the lock. I know it's the wrong side for the controls but it's safer than the other side.

nickcred

Visit site

Thanks Ian, that is exactly where we were going to head lol until they we saw the open lock gates and so headed to the right instead of the left. I was completely staggered by their action there is no way they did not see us but hey life's too short and luckily that has been the absolute exception in the last few years.

Cheers
Nick

ms1

Visit site

I often get the impression that, especially at lock laybys, some skippers dont actually even think what they are doing; dont move up; just think they are the only people on the river.
As far as places like Cookham are concerned there is often a certain attitude .. which even extends to leaving ones tender floating around & tied up just to avoid letting a boat in behind. I have also seen that 'certain attitude' harden even more if the vessel looking for space is rather large and grand.
On the other side I have experienced boats mooring in the biggest space I have been able to leave behind and almost shoving their protruding anchor through my canopy.
Having lock gates shut in your face is not nice.