I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
Been down in Hamble Marina and also Shamrock Quay (Also in Southampton) this weekend looking at a variety of yachts.

Beneteau 323 and a 343, both nice yachts, reasonably priced for their years (2004 and 2005 respectively) but I definately feel that 3 cabins is a much better option for me with my family considerations.

The beauty of the bunch though was a Jeaneau Sun Legend 41... really well maintained for a 1988 yacht and well within budget. I must confess that if I had the money now I would have bought her there and then. :)

The main point I liked was the space in the rear cabins, really very high throughout and did not contain a coffin section like the Bavaria 38 I was on recently. Shower and sink in both rear cabins (on top of the main heads in the fore) seemed a bit of a waste of space though, storage/lockers would have been better.

For the first time in a while I am starting to feel that this dream is coming a step towards reality.

mandlmaunder

Visit site
Zanziba

You could add the How To books on boat electricity and diesel mechanics to your to do list and start to read them now, once you get your dream boat the knowledge will stand you good stead.

Once you realise that most boat projects are just a set of steps to be taken in sequence most things seem much simpler.

After that realisation it's just a question of tools and time.

Keep dreaming and you will make it will come true.

Mark

antelope

Visit site
What a great thread. I'm glad I found it. I'm yet another divorced man stripped of everything he's worked for [not that I'm bitter or anything!]. But I have a second issue...my career failed with the telecoms crash on 2001.
Without boring you with the details, a software company I started has just had it's development funding pulled by my main investor, so I've effectively gone bust. I did however inherit a modest sum a few years back which enables me to buy a boat outright. As soon as my younger son, who's 13 at the moment, is a little older, I may buy a boat to live on, and look to start a new way of life.
My problem is how to earn a living. Are there occupations that one can take up that are specific to the boating and yachting sectors? I'm happy to take a course if I have to. I see one can train in yacht surveying, but I suspect this is something that requires an strong existing experience and knowledge of boats, and I'd be coming to it new.
Or are there jobs available that just happen to be in proximity to boating environments? I imagine myself moored up on the south coast, or possibly the med eventually.
Any insights or anecdotes would be most welcome, as I need to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree even considering this as a route forward, or not.
By the way, I'm 52 soon [aaargh]
Thanks.

Kaya

Visit site
Go for it, there are jobs out there, and to be fair it depends it depends on moorings fees, but for jobs, you say a new way of life,and you are 51, it took me 12 years to relise my way, honestly I'd say your son is 13, perfect age, he'll be starting gcses soon, some subjects start in yr 9. You'll find your way, wedding photography is good and when you got the computer skills its a dam sight easier and cheaper to set up, there's always going to be pc doctor work, surveying is good but building a name with no background in a Eco climate with a glut of surveyers and no buyers is going to be hard as hell. There is sport leaders qualifications from rowing to mountain expedition leader , then you can work at outdoor activity centers are freelance to scout / cadets / d of e groups. There's a lot of choice stick with it find a job that suits your life and get aboard x

antelope

Visit site
Kaya

Thanks for this. I have a very broad background...ranging from photography through writing to software development...but a bit of a case of 6 inches deep knowledge of lots of things rather than in depth knowledge of anything in particular! I am expert at talking about absolutely anything after a few pints though.
But yes, if I can crack the income side, I think this is the way forward for me, unless I meet a gorgeous babe with a cottage on the Devon coast!

cimota

Visit site
Tks, Cimota..what do you mean by marine electricity? 'Marine electronics' on google produces lots of stuff about comms..do you mean the actual wiring of boats? [this might be of interest.. http://www.marinematch.co.uk/training/available-courses-details.php?id=188 ]

I'll PM you shortly..have some thoughts to discuss, having seen your blog...

Yes, the wiring. I'm pretty good with stuff that I put my mind to (changed careers three times now: genetic engineer - network engineer - bull5417 artist) but local collages only seem to teach Apprenticeship stuff for electricity wiring and I really can't afford afford the time to go and learn with a heap of 17 year olds for three years.

I'm really interested in solar, wind and batteries. The stuff you'd need for marine life. Plus - I'm a geek and I daresay I'll need to make sure all the gadgets are charged on the long voyages (around Belfast Lough) I'll be making. Engines I can handle - electricity still a bit of a mystery.

Rocksteadee

Visit site
And I thought I was the only one

Brilliant thread.
As this is what I am intending to do
For me it maybe more of leaving it on a permentant mooring and treating it more like a house boat but with the capability of slipping and motoring down to the Med for a few months

Zanziba

Visit site
Okay... another month has drifted by. I am almost in a position to start looking for a cheap boat or wait longer and keep saving.

I have found a lovely 29' sail yacht today which has really caught my interest and I have enough cash to buy outright. GRP, dry inside and airy but electronics look to require a complete refit. New engine too which is a bonus and cosmetically not too bad throughout and nothing a good scrub wont fix. Nothing so wonderful as a shower or even hot water on-board! I think that for a first yacht she'd be great and if I did decide to hold onto her then I could fit a water heater (or have one fitted when the electrics get done)...

My main problem now is trying to stop myself going to the bank in the morning...

Zanziba

Visit site
I'm shifting money about... watch this space.

Anyone know anything about Sealand transport? Got a good quote for land-move of the yacht but one guy (another transport man) said he didn't like them?

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, I've found something that needs some TLC but is cheap as chips so I'm just seeing if I can get it and live on it over the winter whilst I make her a little more seaworthy.

Living on her will be fine but she's not fit for the sea yet.

Zanziba

Visit site
Great news - have been following this thread with interest :) Give us a clue to the boat?

She's 1980 - 29' sail yacht... If I manage to buy her I will put pictures up on here that I have taken.

Still awaiting a reply from the seller regarding my offer. I'll ring them this afternoon if they don't reply.

------ UPDATE ------

Unfortunately the yacht has sold (or at least they have accepted an offer on her). Typical, she has sat there for 18 months with no interest and then two buyers arrive at once Ha Ha! Oh well, I assume that it is fate and that I am destined for a different craft.

This is the link to the vessel:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/yachts/everitt-29-fin-keeled-yacht-BRH280#

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Find a partner in life without getting hitched and save for the dream together and halve the time it would take on your own.
Don't leave out all those superb livaboards that are built in the 80's and 90's just because they l'ook a bit dated'. Careful considerations could mean that a more 'go anywhere' yacht could be afforded rather than limiting it to those awbs you've experienced so far.

Zanziba

Visit site
I'm going through a divorce at the moment so I must say that when I buy my yacht then it will be just mine... You can't know that a partner will be for life unfortunately and I'd hate to have to try and sort out buying half a yacht off someone in the future that I may not be able to afford.

Having looked around several older yachts it is amazing how my mind has slowly changed. I am becoming more and more interested in older yachts so long as they are GRP.

I feel that I am quite close to getting on the water . . . Exciting times to be honest. I'm two and a half years ahead of schedule if I do buy now caused in main part by hugely lowering my budget.

elioti

Visit site
hi, we are into our 3rd week as live aboards waitng to head over to france when the weather improves. We purchased a motor boat that needed serious work, had just a hull! Think is perhaps a good idea to get a boat that needs work but not too much, had i known how long it takes to do work, i would not have done it! Hope you find something soon, still think a better live aboard is a motor boat due to space! I was looking at motor sailors before we got ours, have you seen colvic northeners? I think they are quite nice, spacious and nice shape! Good luck!