I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
hi, we are into our 3rd week as live aboards waitng to head over to france when the weather improves. We purchased a motor boat that needed serious work, had just a hull! Think is perhaps a good idea to get a boat that needs work but not too much, had i known how long it takes to do work, i would not have done it! Hope you find something soon, still think a better live aboard is a motor boat due to space! I was looking at motor sailors before we got ours, have you seen colvic northeners? I think they are quite nice, spacious and nice shape! Good luck!

Great to see that you have made it aboard. How have the first few weeks been? What things did you not invisage?

I understand the motorsailer / mobo benefits but to be honest I love sail yachts. I love the silence as they glide through the water on a long passage. Maybe I'll succumb to the motor temptation one day but I honestly doubt it :)

I am looking at Westerly type vessels at the moment. I don't mind doing a bit of work, in fact I will quite enjoy it, but I wouldn't want to do a complete refit!

I have basic DIY skills (fitted a kitchen / rewired a house etc) so I can do the basics. My main weaknesses are a lack of overall sailing experience and understanding what to do when it all goes Pete Tong.

Tranona

Visit site
She's 1980 - 29' sail yacht... If I manage to buy her I will put pictures up on here that I have taken.

Still awaiting a reply from the seller regarding my offer. I'll ring them this afternoon if they don't reply.

------ UPDATE ------

Unfortunately the yacht has sold (or at least they have accepted an offer on her). Typical, she has sat there for 18 months with no interest and then two buyers arrive at once Ha Ha! Oh well, I assume that it is fate and that I am destined for a different craft.

This is the link to the vessel:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/yachts/everitt-29-fin-keeled-yacht-BRH280#

You probably had a lucky escape there! Boats like that are cheap for a reason, and whatever you do with them will always stay "cheap". Did have a good engine tho'!

Zanziba

Visit site
Okay, update time. I now own a 1973 GRP Westerly Longbow 31' Sloop rigged rear cockpit. She's a lovely yacht and I've a week off work to get her cleaned up and make her my own. Truth be told she is nice and clean and a really lovely boat.

Bought off eBay for £6750 from a truly lovely couple who are downgrading to a trailer sailer. I'm hoping to sail her to her permanent mooring and move aboard fully next weekend (although I will be spending a few nights on her this week)

I'm attempting to put the pictures on the next post...

Last edited:

Zanziba

Visit site
IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Hadenough

Visit site
Well done. I think you have taken the right route if you are handy and not afraid of a bit of work you don't need to have a state of the art boat to enjoy the life. Go for it and keep us informed.

MrCramp

Visit site
Okay, update time. I now own a 1973 GRP Westerly Longbow 31' Sloop rigged rear cockpit. She's a lovely yacht and I've a week off work to get her cleaned up and make her my own. Truth be told she is nice and clean and a really lovely boat.

Bought off eBay for £6750 from a truly lovely couple who are downgrading to a trailer sailer. I'm hoping to sail her to her permanent mooring and move aboard fully next weekend (although I will be spending a few nights on her this week)

I'm attempting to put the pictures on the next post...

You have got a cracking boat for the money. Would have been worth paying twice the price given the spec. and the state of the boat. The New(ish) engine makes it a really good buy. In time I would get a full cockpit tent/cover made up so you can sit out there and watch the world go by in the evening and in the colder weather, it will also give you more room when livingaboard.
I did look at the auction here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westerly-...ng_Goods_Sailing_Boats_ET&hash=item27bd629bc1

PS.
I have just read the total spec
modern engine
diesel heater
top spec loo...Lavac
2007 sails
engine bay looks good
What did that chap asking question pay for his Longbow this year...£17,000
nice looking fixed deckhouse.

You have done really, really well with your purchase.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Definitely better than the one you "missed". However, this boat has been discussed here before and there were real concerns about the modifications to the coachroof. The windows are nearly twice the size of the originals which may not be good for the strength of the coachroof nor the security of the windows.

As before, the boat is cheap because people are wary of home modified boats when there are plenty of unmolested boats around. So, while it might serve your needs be aware that it will be difficult to sell on when you need to.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
I think she's a great boat to start with and if you do live aboard make sure that heater gets a good service.
Also check out where condensation may ocur as thats one of the main disadvantages of living aboard some boats.. especially those with large woindows that are not double glazed and GRP that has no head lining or a layer of insulation on!
good luck
S

MrCramp

Visit site
Zanziba
I would not be concerned about those windows unless you are intending to sail across Biscay (or similar) in bad weather, and even then at 15mm, provided they have been fixed in properly they should be OK. The deckhouse looks fine from the photos. Everything that I can see on those photos gives me the impression that the boat has been well looked after and I would be inclined to expect that the jobs done have been well done.

The price you paid is a bargin basement price for a boat that looks to have been kept up to date. You wanted a boat to liveaboard and I think it a marvelous buy for your requirements.

I challenge anyone to find a boat available for less than twice the price you paid that would be a better buy!

Zanziba

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I'll be spending the day on her today checking all the wiring and making sure everything electrical works as it should. I'll try and upload some photo's of the coach roof, enlarged windows and the windscreen thingy as they seem to be creating some discussion.

If anyone wants to visit and have a look over her (especially the windows) then feel free to get in touch!

Baggy

Visit site
Nice boat Zanzy..

Make a cockpit tent a priority.. a must when living aboard,

Just finished renewing my headlinning with doubled glued foam and vinyl, from Hawk house,
Easy to do, and she now looks good as new..

Should help to keep the condensation problem to a minimum..

keep us posted

Zanziba

Visit site
The headlining in the main Saloon is in good condition and the forepeak has been carpeted which is fine and cosy. The two rear bed areas are in need of lining but the previous owners have left me a nice roll of vinyl in dark blue. Had a little play today but the spray on glue from B&Q was laughably rubbish so I think I will try "No more nails" tomorrow.

Got the GPS working today, 1 of 2 depth readings working, radio tested and working, interior lights all OK. Engine started, slight concern there's a little whiff of smoke from the air filters when on "charge" just before I crank?

Ermmm, replaced anchor connecting thingy as the other one was tiny. Most amusing moment as the anchor chain vanished into the locker when I let go of it and I thought "Hmmm, how do I get in there?" - Answer, via the forepeak little removable section.

Repaired a non-working port light... checked where all the pipes n stuff go which is lucky as I found a missing water filter under the sink. That would have been interesting if I had installed the water pump!

Tomorrow is cleaning!

Hadenough

Visit site
[ Engine started, slight concern there's a little whiff of smoke from the air filters when on "charge" just before I crank?

[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that it will just be the heated plug if it's anything like mine. Had the same scare myself.

Zanziba

Visit site
Don't worry about that it will just be the heated plug if it's anything like mine. Had the same scare myself.

You should have seen me turn the electric off and started looking for the nearest fire extinguisher (There are 3 onboard).

I eventually plucked up the courage to try again!

Also got a fire blanket and 8 flares (which are in date until 2012 contrary to the owners information).

jimmy_bobby

Visit site
Well done matey! Great yacht for the money! Love to see more pics. I said back at tbe start of the year that you should go for a smaller/ cheaper yacht, do a year, then if you're still happy, go for a bigger yacht. I shall update my thread soon. I managed a year on a 22footer. bought a 27 footer a couple of months ago and love the extra space. Looking at a 31 footer later next year.....get some more pics up! :)

Zanziba

Visit site
I'll try and take some more pictures this week. I took my camera today but it's battery is dead (typical).

I can confirm the windows really are very thick. Not measured them but they're definately 15mm, maybe thicker. Sunny today it was really warm and bright inside. Couldn't work out why the hatch above the saloon wouldn't open. It unlocks and goes up about 0.5cm and then stops, nothing seems to be blocking it up-top?

Be really nice to change the one in the forepeak for a plastic see-through one to give more light in there, I wonder if anyone makes them?