I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
Liveaboards ARE allowed but they have to be official which includes signing a document with a series of T&C's as well as a fee (I forget the exact amount but it was about £650+VAT for a year)

I do not want to say anything detrimental on a public forum but if you are going to go there as a live-aboard then you must consider the additional costs and the T&C's which they can supply to you on request, which I personally could not sign.

I will answer PM's in more detail.

Last edited:

SHG

Visit site
May I Maya?

Have followed this thread from the start. Fascinating and a great example to us all, Zanzibar, and I am hoping to follow in your footsteps (wake?).:)

Maya perhaps up for sale? Interesting. Would want to hear more if your 36ft Spanish adventures go well. PM me if so or I can post email/phone thingies here if needs be. I am told that marina fees are so high in Spain nobody can afford to keep a boat in the country anyway so you could well be onto a bargain...

Thank you for chronicling your move to live aboard here.

Cheers
SHG

Zanziba

Visit site
The Spanish venture has sold before I got there, but after I booked the flights.

It was a Westerly Corsair for 22k... even with 6k transport costs it was cheap.

Good things to come out of it though are it made me speak to the bank and now I know I can borrow a bit, i've recognized the benefit of a centre cockpit for liverboard so long as a connecting corridor exists and I've made the decision to trade up.

Just a matter of time.

:)

wazza

Visit site
The Spanish venture has sold before I got there, but after I booked the flights.

It was a Westerly Corsair for 22k... even with 6k transport costs it was cheap.

Good things to come out of it though are it made me speak to the bank and now I know I can borrow a bit, i've recognized the benefit of a centre cockpit for liverboard so long as a connecting corridor exists and I've made the decision to trade up.

Just a matter of time.

Najad 343 out of your price range??? Very comfortable & safe CC..

Zanziba

Visit site
Najad 343 out of your price range??? Very comfortable & safe CC..

They seem pretty expensive online.

I'd like something with a couple of cabins for the kids to sleep over. 35 foot+ would be ideal.

If I could realistically get over £10k for the Westerly Longbow then I could probably scrape together £30k for the new one.

Zanziba

Visit site
Update - I know it has been a while.

Well, after a long winter hunkered down inside; the weather has improved enough to allow my hibernation to cease.

I have made the decision, after many trials and tribulations of the mind, to sell Maya. I have a buyer who, pending survey, has agreed to purchase her but if that falls through then she will adorn the hallowed halls of eBay for the summer.

So, what now? Well, a brief chat to the bank and the last couple of years savings has placed me in the position to upgrade and I am viewing a yacht this weekend. If all goes well I could be sailing her back up t'North in 2 weeks time.

My question is this. Can I make it from the South Devon coast to Preston in 5 days sailing / motoring and can anyone put forward a list of nice stoppages.

Without looking at marina positions just yet I have the journey in my mind as as the following days approximately:

Salcombe -> Lizard Point -> Newquay -> Linney Head -> Penrhyn Mawr -> Preston

Any volunteers to crew (for free, but of course I will pay your rail fare!)

Also, if anyone has any of the following Imray charts I could borrow it would be much appreciated! C6, C7, C58, C60, C51 and C52 - I think that looks to cover the route. £18 quid each from Imray isn't going to break the bank but seems a shame as I will only use them the once as my future cruising should be towards Scotland.

Last edited:

nathanlee

Visit site
Good news!

5 days with stops is going to be pushing it, I reckon. Maybe get some experienced crew and just slog it out with watches. That said, I think John on his Vancouver 27 did the same trip in about 5 days, but that was short stops for the tide on anchor. I got a phone call off him the other week - in Grenada. I don't think he's been in to a single marina since leaving Preston.

Have a word with Howard, or Hilary who works in the shop. They've done loads of sailing south, including a trip to Scily.

Hope all is well up in t'north.

saltylegs

Visit site
I did it a couple of years ago mid April from Falmouth to Ardglass was 2 days non stop in fairly light winds so mainly motor sailing on a Sigma 33 with 2 of us.
If you can get 3 mates then it should be pretty straight forward.
Sorry can't help with charts as I had borrowed some as well.

AB1707

Visit site
I once helped deliver a yacht from Hamble to Liverpool in November. We were weatherbound for 4 days in Falmouth. Get the tides right round Lands End and you get 13 hrs fair tide. Nice shakedown cruise if you're not to restricted on time

Zanziba

Visit site
Went to visit the yacht (it was an Oyster 41) but felt it was too small really... honestly not that much more room than my Westerly 31' given the forepeak was very low and it had limited stowage. Engine was clearly an after thought as well IMHO.

I will keep looking. I think that a centre cockpit with a passage down the side linking the two halves of the boat (i.e. like a Corsair) would be ideal.

There is a nice looking Moody 38cc online that would do the trick. Any other ideas for similar layouts? The extra bed in the "alleyway" part is really useful for me and my kidlets.

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, I have done it at last.

Those of you reading a recent thread on here about a Westerly 31' being sold (Beth) would have put 2 and 2 together and realised she was buying Maya... Anyway, with the sale of Maya I have managed to get a survey on my new boat and I moved in 2 days ago.

She is a Morgan Out Islander 416. Centre cockpit with stateroom to aft. Seems a great boat; looking to go exploring Scotland (Just the Firth of Clyde) this summer for a couple of weeks.

I'd forgotten what hot running water was :) - Reading my first few replies when I started this thread a "Shower" on-board was essential and now I have one! Yay!

Hadenough

Visit site
Well done, serious looking boat! We are not too far behind you. We started the plan at about the same time as you. Got the boat, I've jacked work and we are now just waiting on selling the bricks and mortar so that the other half can "retire" and we can move aboard full time. Might see you on the west coast next year.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
She is a Morgan Out Islander 416. Centre cockpit with stateroom to aft. Seems a great boat; looking to go exploring Scotland (Just the Firth of Clyde) this summer for a couple of weeks.

Actually, Morgan Out Island 416. Extremely popular in the USA where it is almost universally, and usually affectionately, known as the Morgan Out House.

Zanziba

Visit site
Okay... Out Island!

Well, clearing it all out and making it all look homely keeps getting interupted by guitar playing and beer drinking in the sunshine!

Managed to source a windlass and new chain so my old 50m of chain is on eBay as will a few other bits over the coming weeks.

I'm planning on going round the Clyde in 3 weeks for 12 days so excited about my first proper trip.

AMCD300

Visit site
Okay... Out Island!

Well, clearing it all out and making it all look homely keeps getting interupted by guitar playing and beer drinking in the sunshine!

Managed to source a windlass and new chain so my old 50m of chain is on eBay as will a few other bits over the coming weeks.

I'm planning on going round the Clyde in 3 weeks for 12 days so excited about my first proper trip.

Good luck - hope it is everything you have been dreaming about.

Lucky you :)

Andy

Zanziba

Visit site
It is... just got to get out sailing now!

Here are a few pictures:

PART_1372956907129.jpeg

A little blurred due to taking on my phone. Notice the bunk beds (small double below, single above) which will be good for my kids.

IMG_20130708_123100.jpg

Sorted the foresail and got it out... looks nice. about 8kn of wind is enough to crush the fenders, serious power there!

IMG_20130705_193216.jpg

The guitar on deck can be used for scale in this shot.

IMG_20130705_193200.jpg

Again, the guitar reveals the bohemian lifestyle of the owner :)

Last edited:

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Very nice. If it hasn't been done already you must arrange a means of easily boarding from the water and the dinghy. They have a very high freeboard and I was taken totally by surprise when I swam over and tried to board a friend's OI42 - impossible from the water. My wife had trouble boarding from our dinghy!

Zanziba

Visit site
There is a detachable walk-through on the aft and each sides so you don't have to step over the guard rail and also a swim ladder on the stern so that should be okay. I am looking to buy a tender and motor for the scotland trip but finances are running low!