I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

bandita

Visit site
Livaboard yachts!!!!

Virtually all modern yachts are unsuitable for long term liveaboard without modification.
For a start you will have to add insulation, heating and a decent hot water system with sufficient tank capacity to cope.
On top of that extra ventilation will be required in the sole, lockers and cabin roof.
You should start researching this and allowing extra budget for it.
Condensation, damp and mould will be your enemies in winter especially in Fleetwood.
Yachts are designed to be winterised and left.
It sounds like you know what yacht you want so you need to find out if and what showers, calorifier (hot water tank), heating system etc can be fitted to that particular model.
Sometimes the best motivation is knowing there is a solution to deal with the problems that may arise.
We are moving on a boat and are fitting out as a liveaboard and have experienced a winter of damp and mould. Never again....
Good luck

Zanziba

Visit site
The yacht club is open to anyone, I think they have a FB page too. Seems to be open most Friday nights.

To the other poster about damp... I have a dehumidifier I run in winter everyday and in summer once a week. Everything stays fresh.

I found a little damp in lockers below the waterline in winter so I'm careful about what I put in those.

the-drifter

Visit site
Hi Zanziba.
well I am truly impress with both you attitude and your determination to succeed. I have been inspired by your post and your determination to be free in life. which I am sure we all desire.
I have been adding to a pension pot for the last 20 years that continues to decrease in value. Swimbo and I have 10 years left on the Mortgage, where we will decide our faith unless I get too pissed off with the man created rat race and quit beforehand, where I will purchase my sail boat a be free of life.
thanks for a good bank holiday read, as normal in the UK it is raining, other than spending loads of money trying to fill the gap of the day, I am off to Bristol ( Portishead) to start looking for that elusive dream (sail boat)
again thanks
maybe as a side line you could turn this in to a short paperback...., it may help pay for a new something

Mark

Zanziba

Visit site
Thank you for your post... I have thought about writing a short book but my life is not ready yet... when I slip the moorings for good in a decade or so then I will. I am not even half way through my plan yet.

It was sunny last night so I played guitar on deck and watched the sun slip down behind the local buildings while enjoying a spot of vino.

This morning I am listening to the Halyards knocking (I've grown to love the noise and neighbours don't mind, as I have none). The yacht is gently rocking me in my bed and I really should get up.

This is a real milestone today. It is officially day 365 on-board (A whole year) and I have not a single regret!

I think that I am about 2 years away from a yacht upgrade if I continue to save and if I continue to work.

I'm planning on going to the Southampton boat show on the 15th if anyone wants to meet for a brew.

:)

7htas

dantwothreefour.wordpress.com
Thank you for your post... I have thought about writing a short book but my life is not ready yet... when I slip the moorings for good in a decade or so then I will. I am not even half way through my plan yet.

It was sunny last night so I played guitar on deck and watched the sun slip down behind the local buildings while enjoying a spot of vino.

This morning I am listening to the Halyards knocking (I've grown to love the noise and neighbours don't mind, as I have none). The yacht is gently rocking me in my bed and I really should get up.

This is a real milestone today. It is officially day 365 on-board (A whole year) and I have not a single regret!

I think that I am about 2 years away from a yacht upgrade if I continue to save and if I continue to work.

I'm planning on going to the Southampton boat show on the 15th if anyone wants to meet for a brew.

I'm about to start my training in the Merchant Navy(next week); I have another year of College, and my 1st Sea phase; and I've worked out I'll have about 2k saved up; which probably won't be enough to get something that I can live on- is there anyone in your marina living on anything smaller than the one you've got?

My logic is, any boat is better than no boat; and for my 2nd and 3rd phases of college; I am allowed to rent, rather than live on campus; it would be much cheaper to live aboard; rather than waste money renting. A guy I know, over in Liverpool, Tom Mcnally (famed for crossing the atlantic in a 3 and half foot boat) lives on a 22ft boat; so, I know it's possible. Advice, or pointers are needed really? Is it really going to be possible for me to live on a small boat, and have the facilities for getting ready for college etc?

TopDonkey

Visit site
I'm living on a 27ft boat and consider it more than big enough for me on my own.

I has a front twin v bedroom, mid cabin with kitchen and lounge area and a bathroom with shower loo and sink, then you have the wheelhouse, with plenty of space, its up high so is my favourite spot to drink coffee in the mornings whilst watching the goings on around me, and in the back bedroom, it has a large double bed to one side, and a single bed the other side, with plenty of shelves and cupboards for my clothes etc.

So i'd say you could easily get away with a smaller boat, and if you are thinking motorboat, then a 25ft fairline holiday 225 would be ideal as a small space liveaboard, its the boat i wanted to downsize to until i found my current boat (python 27)

elioti

Visit site
Hi Zanzibar, i remembered your posts from last year so thought i`d look you up on here, well done, glad to see your enjoying it all!! Will look out for the book in a few years time!

7htas

I'm living on a 27ft boat and consider it more than big enough for me on my own.

I has a front twin v bedroom, mid cabin with kitchen and lounge area and a bathroom with shower loo and sink, then you have the wheelhouse, with plenty of space, its up high so is my favourite spot to drink coffee in the mornings whilst watching the goings on around me, and in the back bedroom, it has a large double bed to one side, and a single bed the other side, with plenty of shelves and cupboards for my clothes etc.

So i'd say you could easily get away with a smaller boat, and if you are thinking motorboat, then a 25ft fairline holiday 225 would be ideal as a small space liveaboard, its the boat i wanted to downsize to until i found my current boat (python 27)

Cheers :) I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to, and if you're willing to compromise; I have no frame of reference though; which could be a good thing....Ideally, I want a yacht.

tomdmx

Visit site
We live on a 31 classic footer...so quite narrow in her beam etc...for the two of us lus dog its plenty of space but as soon as we have a couple of guests it becomes a pain...but we bought epwhat we could afford and decided to go now rather than save or invest into a bigger yacht..i would not mind a few more feet to have a normal loo with sink and a bigger kitchen area but am thinking of modding the yacht to suit since it is steel :)

Zanziba

Visit site
I believe you could live on a smaller westerly, the 26'r sell for under £5000 if you look around.

Nathan lived for a year on a tiny boat (about 21') for over a year in Preston but I wouldn't be able to do it.

Go look at some boats around the 26' size and see what you think. £2k is probably not enough but £4k would be if you could save a little more.

This is sale pending at £2000 but gives you an idea. It's the smaller version of my 31' Longbow.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1976/Westerly-Centaur-2394127/United-Kingdom

Zanziba

Visit site
Some of my readers will recall that when I bought the yacht her foresail was furled up inside out.

It appears that the 15 foot rip that has appeared was because UV damage (before I bought her) has destroyed 13 inches of my foresail and the strong force 7 I was in two weeks ago finished it off.

The answers from the sail makers are:

A) New sail circa £600
B) Cut off 13 inches of sail, fit new clew and UV cover, mend some damage to foot of sail. £300+

So, I am asking if anyone has a foresail I can buy cheap. The longest edge (forestay edge) is 10.5m so anything between 10m and 10.5m will fit. Preferably a large genoa to power the big heavy lump of a Westerly.

7htas

I believe you could live on a smaller westerly, the 26'r sell for under £5000 if you look around.

Nathan lived for a year on a tiny boat (about 21') for over a year in Preston but I wouldn't be able to do it.

Go look at some boats around the 26' size and see what you think. £2k is probably not enough but £4k would be if you could save a little more.

This is sale pending at £2000 but gives you an idea. It's the smaller version of my 31' Longbow.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1976/Westerly-Centaur-2394127/United-Kingdom

That looks like something I could start out with. Would much rather live on that, than find somewhere to live in Fleetwood, at + £400 per month. I realise the yacht will cost; but it's the fact that I'll be living aboard; and getting used to the ropes.

Hopefully there'll be something like that kicking around this time next year.

Cheers

Dan

V1701

Visit site
Some of my readers will recall that when I bought the yacht her foresail was furled up inside out.

It appears that the 15 foot rip that has appeared was because UV damage (before I bought her) has destroyed 13 inches of my foresail and the strong force 7 I was in two weeks ago finished it off.

The answers from the sail makers are:

A) New sail circa £600
B) Cut off 13 inches of sail, fit new clew and UV cover, mend some damage to foot of sail. £300+

So, I am asking if anyone has a foresail I can buy cheap. The longest edge (forestay edge) is 10.5m so anything between 10m and 10.5m will fit. Preferably a large genoa to power the big heavy lump of a Westerly.

If you trawl ebay for a while you'll get a usable foresail for a lot less than that & there's a few places that do second hand sails worth a try as well - here, here & here...

V1701

Visit site
That looks like something I could start out with. Would much rather live on that, than find somewhere to live in Fleetwood, at + £400 per month. I realise the yacht will cost; but it's the fact that I'll be living aboard; and getting used to the ropes.

Hopefully there'll be something like that kicking around this time next year.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,
There are definitely bargains to be had but you will struggle to find a decent Centaur for that sort of money. I have an Albin Vega 27ft and find that quite comfortable, more so in fact than a more modern 30ft that was my first boat, so the trick is finding what works for you. That could be sail or motor, but do some sailing before you decide to see if you like it (apologies if you already do sail). Friend of mine spent quite a lot on a small motor boat to live on & now (less than a year later) finds he wants sail. You could have a look at something like an Atlanta 25 or a Virgo Voyager to start with, not necessarily the best sailers but at least you'd stand a chance of being able to buy one and you'll be able to stand up inside. Or you could go hardcore like Nathan on a wee Corribee, see here. Have a trawl around Yachtsnet Archive & there's another archive at Western Horizon. If you go for 26ft or less you'll get cheaper berthing as well...:)

7htas

Hi Dan,
There are definitely bargains to be had but you will struggle to find a decent Centaur for that sort of money. I have an Albin Vega 27ft and find that quite comfortable, more so in fact than a more modern 30ft that was my first boat, so the trick is finding what works for you. That could be sail or motor, but do some sailing before you decide to see if you like it (apologies if you already do sail). Friend of mine spent quite a lot on a small motor boat to live on & now (less than a year later) finds he wants sail. You could have a look at something like an Atlanta 25 or a Virgo Voyager to start with, not necessarily the best sailers but at least you'd stand a chance of being able to buy one and you'll be able to stand up inside. Or you could go hardcore like Nathan on a wee Corribee, see here. Have a trawl around Yachtsnet Archive & there's another archive at Western Horizon. If you go for 26ft or less you'll get cheaper berthing as well...:)

I have never sailed. But I'm 100% sure that it's a yacht that I want; I have a friend who lives on a Canal boat; and I've seen that sort lifestyle. For me, it's about starting on something sea going, small, and easy to sail; to learn the ropes and when I start getting serious wages as a deck officer(3 and a half years time); I'm going to get my self something a little more substantial; but still manageable by a single hander(having currently parted ways with the mrs). Obviously with my training as a deck officer, which commences next week (god, that came around quick!) I'm going to hopefully become a proficient navigator which will obviously go hand in hand with becoming a proficient sailor. So the next three years for me, is going to be about getting to grips with sailing, maybe even getting something small to live on; and build up my experience- like Zanziba said; getting my arse down to the marina at FW.

I don't know what shipping company I'm going to work for when I eventually qualify, but I'm hopeful that I can find a position where I'll work for a prolonged period; and then have a fair chunk of time off; as this career choice of mine was chosen with the life of a live aboard in mind. I had initially thought about Spain, or the canary islands, to keep my yacht; but after visiting Kos, and Nisyros last month, Greece has sort of won me over- the more I read this site; the more inclined I am to just put the boat somewhere while I'm working; and when I'm not; just go anchoring around the med! - all that stuff is a long way off.

I quite like the look of the Centaur; and I'll have a look at the Voyager, and Atlanta 25 after I post this. As for going hardcore; I'm 6ft 3; so I'm not sure about something that small; although, I do like getting out a lot; and lying down a lot. :D

I've been looking at a few Hurley 24/70's, but I think with my budget of 2-3k; I'd be getting something needing far too much work!

Thanks again

Dan

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, if this rain keeps up everyone in North UK will need to live on a boat!

Managed to get a foresail on fleabay for £50 plus P&P of £20, haven't fitted it yet but will try this weekend if the weather breaks.

Looking forward to my second winter on-board. I'm sort of looking forward to the snow. I may even get a small tree this xmas :)

I'm adjusting my plans as I go along and I am seriously wondering if I can upgrade as soon as this summer, an unlikely scenario but watch this space... I do have a mysterious way of making things work out.

The boat show in Southampton was great (got some new warps to replace the ones I snapped in Isle of Man) and say on my future Bavaria 36' Ha Ha

5 weeks until my next holiday, hoping for light airs and nice seas so I can get out again, maybe Isle of Man again which I can't say too many nice things about.

7htas, did you get any further in your search?

7htas

I'm in week four of my training at the nautical college, taking the small steps to becoming an officer in the Merchant Navy. I'm going to be on panamax bulk carriers! Joy! I'm in phase one of college now, until January, and then I will be at sea, up until August next year. I've done the figures, and I reckon if I'm conservative with my spending from now until then, I could realistically scrape together 2 to 3 k. So, august next year will be the time that I am seriously looking for something. Probably going to look at something along the lines of the 22" centaur. I'm tall, but I'm not really that bothered about headroom, because I'll be spending most of my time at the nautical college, and they have all sorts of 'enrichment' activities for us at evenings and weekends. So hopefully, I can find something relatively cheap to get my head down on/in, for next summer. I won't rush, and if I don't find something, I can wait until the following year. When I qualify, I should be able to afford something more comfortable, so I have that to keep me motivated.

I have a few questions, obviously you work; so, at the marina, is there places we can iron and stuff? With being an officer cadet, one has to maintain a smart as possible appearance (apparently) . There's showers, and launderettes at the marina? Place to keep my bike?

Our college is sorting out a corporate membership with the sailing club, so I'm going to head down there at some point, and try and get the ball rolling with learning the ropes. If you're planning any weekend sailing, and wouldn't mind a complete novice tagging along, drop us a pm!

Cheers

Dan

Wansworth

Visit site
Hi Dan,

What sold me on the Albin Vega was the two proper places to lie down.I looked at centuars with dinettes and galleys occupiying all one side ,what happen on the other tack?

Zanziba

Visit site
I'm not sure, wouldn't you be on-deck? If you mean crew relaxing then I guess they'd have to lie in bed? Not ideal, agreed.

I've fitted my new foresail. A little smaller than my old one but it is still a genoa. It's fine for £50 off fleabay!

I'll get it tested sometime soon when I can get out and there is a bit of wind. If I like it then I will get a UV cover fitted to it (about £90)

What a lovely day in the North UK today. Done a few jobs and made sure I relaxed on-deck for a change.

:D