I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

V1701

Visit site
What sold me on the Albin Vega was the two proper places to lie down.I looked at centuars with dinettes and galleys occupiying all one side ,what happen on the other tack?

I agree - having two full width, full length settees in the saloon is very comfortable for lounging with a few big cushions and they're very practical sea berths with lee cloths...

markwalton1

Visit site
Well...

I thought I had better register with the site after reading all 29 pages of this story.
I was looking for information on sailing and living on a boat, and that was what I found!! I am in the 3rd year of a 6 year IVA and am being blead dry. My situation is eased by dreaming that I may one day escape the IVA and sail around the world :)
I recently completed the RYA nav course distance learn, and it bought me back to going on the water when I was a lad and my mum used to take me on a boat with the special needs people she works with. My ambitions are more self centered mind ;) I hope you dont mind me asking a coulpe of questions:
I have looked at marinas and how do you know if they accomodate a yacht? I dream of owning a yacht but the masts wont go under the bridges to marinas, will they?? (I am unexperienced so sorry if this is daft)
I live in Newark and would like to know if it is possible to sail to Holland, would I just need a passport? what restrictions are there? ICC or day skipper?
Its funny that you went to that sail school as thats how I am planning to learn to sail. One year I will have a week doing CC and the next maybe DS.
I love the idea of sailing as im a keen diver and like the clear water stuff! (non UK) how long does it take to sail to warm water from the UK? I work for Zurich Insurance and can get upto a month of work at a time per year, how far could I sail?

Thats enough Qs for now...

Thanks

Mark

Zanziba

Visit site
Well...

I thought I had better register with the site after reading all 29 pages of this story.

Thanks!!!

I have looked at marinas and how do you know if they accomodate a yacht? I dream of owning a yacht but the masts wont go under the bridges to marinas, will they?? (I am unexperienced so sorry if this is daft)

Ask the marina in question but if it is a marina that leads out to the sea (i.e. it is not a canal marina inland) then any bridges will open for you when you radio up and ask for entry (usually booking 24 hours in advance is needed)

I live in Newark and would like to know if it is possible to sail to Holland, would I just need a passport? what restrictions are there? ICC or day skipper?
Its funny that you went to that sail school as thats how I am planning to learn to sail.

I'm no expert but I understand that so long as you are in your own yacht which is UK flagged then you need nothing although common sense would suggest Day Skipper or higher qualification would be needed to make a safe passage. I don't know Newark to Holland as a route but if there is water between the two places then of course it is possible. Look at the distance and assume 5mph for a sail yacht and simple maths will give you an idea of time...

I work for Zurich Insurance and can get upto a month of work at a time per year, how far could I sail?

5 days / week with rest or weather days at 12 hours / day at 5 knots with 2 weeks out going distance and 2 weeks back gives 10x12x5=600 miles range maximum but clearly that's not accurate. You could end up sat for 4 weeks in a marina looking at the stormy weather...

Zanziba

Visit site
Just a note to say long time lurker here & enjoyed reading this thread all the way through - well done sir!

Thank you, I really appreciate that people like this thread,

When I am ready and I have more to write (5 years time?) I will put everything down in a "book" on amazon (Electronic 99p or something) and see how much interest it gets.

Probably None Ha Ha

:)

markwalton1

Visit site
Well I have printed off a picture of my dream yacht (Baveria 50') and a picture I touck on a boat in the Maldives as my inspiration while I sit in my office at home. I can save for 3 years and learn to sail in 3 years and look to have something around 30' moored at Hull marina (around £3k a year) that I couls nip off to Holland/France or where ever!! Have you thought more about circumnavigating the UK? how long do you think a trip like that would take? would be nice around the south coast in peak summer!
Pics 1. pic from the boat of a water house
2. pic of water bungalows
3. the Indian Ocean has an un-describable colour! I just love it! I went snorkling near here with the reef sharks, it was ace!
4. Dolphin that wanted to play with the boat :)
5. My dream boat! I am framing it and will put it on the wall and imagine diving from it :)

grenade

www.magnifik.org
Another lurker

Thank you, I really appreciate that people like this thread,

When I am ready and I have more to write (5 years time?) I will put everything down in a "book" on amazon (Electronic 99p or something) and see how much interest it gets.

Probably None Ha Ha

:)

Well I enjoyed reading it too. I developed a sailing bug only a few months ago after reading a few books (Shrimpy - Shane Acton, Voyage for Madmen - Peter Nichols, Chasing the Horizon - Fatty Goodlander, Storm Passage - Webb Chiles, Across Islands and Oceans - James Baldwin, and too many other books to mention). I find it funny how quickly obsessed with sailing I became. I rushed out and bought the first boat I liked the lines and look of. It turns out that it's a bit small for my needs (I need to convince my wife to abandon land, so a 23 foot, folk boat isn't going to cut it). She's game, but she deserves a few comforts too.
17117690_1.JPG

I'm late thirties, happily married and have two nearly grown up kids. My oldest is in the process of choosing a university and his younger sister is close on his heels so its probably only a few years before it'll be realistic to sail the seven seas in search of our own adventures.

It's interesting how simple it can be for anyone who chooses to be free, to make themselves so, by getting a liveaboard yacht. All the things we love to complain about on land like jobs, debt and our inept governments can so easily be left behind in favour of a fair breeze, open water and the promise of new horizons.

I'm a few years off it still but will have fun in the meantime learning the ropes, the wind and the waves from the deck of my little boat while I save up for the cruiser.

Thanks for your candid story. I look forward to following your future musings.

Last edited:

Zanziba

Visit site
Grenade

Well done... your eyes have been opened to a world of possibilities.

You are right though, it is amazing how people moan about life and do nothing to improve it when it is really so simple. The only thing stopping most people from living their dreams is themselves and their own fears.

nathanlee

Visit site
I believe you could live on a smaller westerly, the 26'r sell for under £5000 if you look around.

Nathan lived for a year on a tiny boat (about 21') for over a year in Preston but I wouldn't be able to do it.

4 years. 20' 9", not to be pedantic. :)

It was hard work, but I don't regret a minute of it. Get something bigger if you can afford it. 5-10k would definitely do it.

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Im still young and its been a dream for 16 years now and september ish 2013 im going full time again, but this time i have an income,,,thats the most difficult,,to be able to keep going with money,

Ive progressed from 30ft then 26ft and now 47 steel, ex charter artic boat,Have owned it for 4 years now, and closing my business next year as i need sun sun sun,

Ive have been a livaboard for a six year and a three year period in ireland and the uk on smaller boats, and that was with a girfreind and she coped real well, putting up with the damp, batterys going flat etc.
and no fridge,,of coarse

CANT WAIT !!!

Zanziba

Visit site
Due to changes in the T&C's at my marina I have moved... an ideal opportunity for an update and also I'd like share the move:

Thursday 27th Dec 2012
Weather Forecast : Force 3/4 Strengthening 5/6 possibly 7 later. Visibility Good. Sea State Slight to Moderate.

Late evening there was not a breath of air and the forecast for the weekend was dire (Force 9) so a quick ring about brought up 2 crew and by 11pm we were all set to go out into the dark. Temperature 3C, Full moon.

11:30pm slight breeze, slipped the moorings and out I went into the dark. Full moon showing an amazing halo which I am informed is caused by ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

Full Sail, testing the new Genoa and Maya pulled West out of the Lune Deeps. Bit of a swell and the wind is getting up a bit. Time to Reef to #1.

First crewman (Novice) starts to be sick over the side. He then complains of being freezing cold (Well dressed but looked very poorly and was shivering) so he decended with a bucket into a comfy seat below never to come up again for the trip.

First reef in with full genoa and we are pulling a stunning 7.4kn... put crewman number 2 onto the helm and go below to check the GPS position and plot the chart.

Return to find the yacht facing the wrong way, the headsail backed and Maya Hove-To... Engine on, full power needed to pull her back against the strengthening wind.

A short discusssion with the helmsman illuminated the fact that his eyesight would not allow him to read the compass and with nothing in the dark to take a visible bearing from he was unable to helm in a straight line or keep a course.

It's times like these that a Skipper needs to start thinking. I knew that I would now be helming for 8 - 10 hours straight through the night in freezing conditions (Thank you Gill for excellent weather gear!). I got my crewman to do all the logs and navigation plots (he has dayskipper and is a very good navigator).

Reef #2 went in next and the sea state was getting well into the "Moderate" state. A problem with the furling line allowed the line to come off the barrel and had to be freed manually as we made our turn South.

Given the sea state now, with the bow raising and smashing down in 15 foot vertical oscillations we managed to man handle the genoa away and decided to leave it like that. Remaining at reef #2 as this was our only sail we motor-sailed into the wind.

3am and the wind was now howling; screaming through the rigging like a caged banshee but with no windspeed equipment I can only guess that it was Force 8+ . Nobody was going out onto the foredeck in this and we'd have to stay with the sail plan we had (Everything is done from the mast on Maya)

I sailed about 10-20 degrees off the wind so that the sail gave a bit of lift but wasn't allowing the waves to hit us a-beam. Hail was streaking sideways and the waves, what I could see in the dark, were white topped with their tops being blown off; ugly streaked black monsters with steep sides. The crash of the bow every time it hit the water erupted a plume of waves each side but the one on the starboard simply got lifted by the wind and tossed over the deck.

It is at times like this that I realise the benefit of the solid canopy as I snuggled down out of the wind and weather, one hand firm on the rudder, eyes on the compass.

By 4am the waves were so big and steep that Maya was stalling as she hit them, engine on 80% (She overheats on full) she was making slow progress; less than 1kn at times. Each wave that hit us pushed us 40 degrees to port (A lee shore lay 8 miles that way, I was very happy that I had chosen earlier to go so far offshore) and a constant repeating trial set in: "course correction, motor forwards into the next wave, hit and lift up, turned by the wave as we are tossed about, crash down off course to port by 30 - 40 degree, sail to get speed up for a few seconds, turn back on course before we are hit again..." - Every 20 to 30 seconds - it was exhausting.

And then we got hit before I got her back on course, full broadside to the beam. Maya rolled to the port side, right over... and kept going. Me and the Crew member groaned as we grabbed on... I could see the dark icy water come up over the freeboard... for a moment we both thought she was going over... and then she broke the wave and rolled back...

Lesson learnt, do not allow, under any circumstances the steep, dark leviathons that were hitting us take us on the beam again.

The hours passed and as we approached the Estuary the wind dropped back... the sea state calmed and I could relax. As the sun came up we had an hour to wait on the tide until motoring the 15 miles up the river to Preston.

My thoughts?

What a boat! Westerly 31' Longow. I am so happy that I was in a Westerly. I'd hate to think how a light "modern" yacht would have taken such a sea? Maya looked after us, she shrugged off the winter storm and I honestly believe she enjoyed it.

To quote an old quotation "All men die, but not all men live"...

Adventure; go and find it and therein, find yourself.

Last edited:

nathanlee

Visit site
I dunno, I commit myself to a month off, then a drinking buddy with a good yarn turns up!

I can testify to how carp the weather was that night, and I was safely tucked up in the marina with the heating on.

Good effort all round.

Zanziba

Visit site
I dunno, I commit myself to a month off, then a drinking buddy with a good yarn turns up!

And I go through a storm that would make a Sea Horse seasick only to find my drinking buddy is doing a month off alchofrol! OMG, I may have to drink enough for two this month to keep the economy "afloat"

:D