I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Well, I have done it at last.

Those of you reading a recent thread on here about a Westerly 31' being sold . . . . . my new boat is a Morgan Out Islander 416. Centre cockpit with stateroom to aft. . . . . .

I see you are going up in size. Pity you weren't a couple of months earlier as HMS Ark Royal was for sale in Portsmouth Harbour!

Perhaps you have your eyes on HMS Illustrious when she comes up for sale. :D

ndf

Visit site
... I have thought about writing a short book but my life is not ready yet... when I slip the moorings for good in a decade or so then I will. I am not even half way through my plan yet.

Oh you should! But don't wait a decade, start writing it now –*a little at a time, you'd be amazed at how quickly a book will come together. Then think about a sequel etc. It's really easy to self publish an e-book these days.

Sorry, I'm a newbie here, looking for information on living aboard and I've thoroughly enjoyed your narrative in this thread.

I'm on a feasibility study stage at the moment collecting information and just seeing if it's all doable or not. I suppose I'm in a slightly better position than many here in the sense that my mortgage is paid and I'm looking to sell up the bricks and mortar, invest some of the money for an income and use some of the rest to buy a boat to live on.

I just want to get out of the rat race and SE of England particularly and enjoy some of the freedom living on a boat would give me. I've always wanted to live by the sea.

You are an inspiration to us all and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread –*thank you.

Zanziba

Visit site
I see you are going up in size. Pity you weren't a couple of months earlier as HMS Ark Royal was for sale in Portsmouth Harbour!

Perhaps you have your eyes on HMS Illustrious when she comes up for sale. :D

There is a very good chance that this is the last yacht I will ever have to buy :)

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
good on you Zanziba, a fine little ship!

High topsides need not be such a problem getting up from an inflatable for us retirees (speaking personally that is).... we use some of those 'step fenders' on our tub. We have a 5 step for inflatable up to deck and a 3 step from pontoon up to deck.

Of course they're useful as standby fenders too.

Getting up from swimming can be a big problem so we have ladder buried somewhere deep in the bowels of our cockpit locker which hasn't seen the light of day yet. (in our ownership anyway), too darn cold in there!

Zanziba

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

I started this thread as a way to keep me on track. 2 and a half years ago I was in debt and looking towards a dream, trying to find a way to keep it alive so that it would one day come true. I guess that I started the thread as a way of staying motivated, making progress step by step until I felt that I had managed to attain my target.

I'm a long way now from that starting block and I feel that I do owe a debt of gratitude to many of the posters on here for their advice, their encouragement and their belief. I still have to pay off debts that my recent purchase has incurred but that is within my compass.

It is heartening to think that in some small way I have helped others with my posts and my story, and I will continue to post on here as my adventure unfolds.

2 weeks and I slip the safe mooring to head North to Scotland for two weeks and my first real expedition. Exciting stuff.

:)

Zanziba

Visit site

Yes, beautiful place. I went on a chartered yacht from Largs to Islay and back last summer. This is my first time on my own yacht. My plan is:

Preston --> IOM --> Stranraer--> Ardrossan (or Largs) --> Bute --> Arran --> Stranraer --> IOM --> Preston (About 12 days with a couple of days on Arran)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
( Originally Posted by Zanziba
There is a very good chance that this is the last yacht I will ever have to buy .)

Well I can't remember how many times I have Said that in over 25 years . And I am looking again , we got our new yacht in 2009 , first time ever that I had. New yacht straight out of the factory , this was giving to be the last yacht I ever buy , just 4 years down the l line and we out grown it and looking for a bigger yacht , when will I stop looking for bigger yachts I ask my self , ? I guess the answer is went they lay me on a box .

www.dufour385.webs.com

Zanziba

Visit site
Steve, the sun is shining, I am sitting in my deckchair and notice the only thing you haven't told us about is what anchor you are going to use and your reasons? :D

It's a 40lb CQR - Reason is that it was already fitted. I found the 20lb Bruce excellent on the Westerly the couple of times that I used it but I here good things about the CQR's and I am not about to change it for a large Bruce.

Zanziba

Visit site

Submarines apparently like to hide under larger yachts so they are difficult for satellites to see, plays havoc with your depth sounders... I've also been told keeping your engine on in that area helps you to be seen but I suspect that fishing boats with nets out are the ones in real danger. Be great to see one. :)

Ninpo

www.ivaninsurance.co.uk
Due to changes in the T&C's at my marina I have moved... an ideal opportunity for an update and also I'd like share the move:

Thursday 27th Dec 2012
Weather Forecast : Force 3/4 Strengthening 5/6 possibly 7 later. Visibility Good. Sea State Slight to Moderate.

Late evening there was not a breath of air and the forecast for the weekend was dire (Force 9) so a quick ring about brought up 2 crew and by 11pm we were all set to go out into the dark. Temperature 3C, Full moon.

11:30pm slight breeze, slipped the moorings and out I went into the dark. Full moon showing an amazing halo which I am informed is caused by ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

Full Sail, testing the new Genoa and Maya pulled West out of the Lune Deeps. Bit of a swell and the wind is getting up a bit. Time to Reef to #1.

First crewman (Novice) starts to be sick over the side. He then complains of being freezing cold (Well dressed but looked very poorly and was shivering) so he decended with a bucket into a comfy seat below never to come up again for the trip.

First reef in with full genoa and we are pulling a stunning 7.4kn... put crewman number 2 onto the helm and go below to check the GPS position and plot the chart.

Return to find the yacht facing the wrong way, the headsail backed and Maya Hove-To... Engine on, full power needed to pull her back against the strengthening wind.

A short discusssion with the helmsman illuminated the fact that his eyesight would not allow him to read the compass and with nothing in the dark to take a visible bearing from he was unable to helm in a straight line or keep a course.

It's times like these that a Skipper needs to start thinking. I knew that I would now be helming for 8 - 10 hours straight through the night in freezing conditions (Thank you Gill for excellent weather gear!). I got my crewman to do all the logs and navigation plots (he has dayskipper and is a very good navigator).

Reef #2 went in next and the sea state was getting well into the "Moderate" state. A problem with the furling line allowed the line to come off the barrel and had to be freed manually as we made our turn South.

Given the sea state now, with the bow raising and smashing down in 15 foot vertical oscillations we managed to man handle the genoa away and decided to leave it like that. Remaining at reef #2 as this was our only sail we motor-sailed into the wind.

3am and the wind was now howling; screaming through the rigging like a caged banshee but with no windspeed equipment I can only guess that it was Force 8+ . Nobody was going out onto the foredeck in this and we'd have to stay with the sail plan we had (Everything is done from the mast on Maya)

I sailed about 10-20 degrees off the wind so that the sail gave a bit of lift but wasn't allowing the waves to hit us a-beam. Hail was streaking sideways and the waves, what I could see in the dark, were white topped with their tops being blown off; ugly streaked black monsters with steep sides. The crash of the bow every time it hit the water erupted a plume of waves each side but the one on the starboard simply got lifted by the wind and tossed over the deck.

It is at times like this that I realise the benefit of the solid canopy as I snuggled down out of the wind and weather, one hand firm on the rudder, eyes on the compass.

By 4am the waves were so big and steep that Maya was stalling as she hit them, engine on 80% (She overheats on full) she was making slow progress; less than 1kn at times. Each wave that hit us pushed us 40 degrees to port (A lee shore lay 8 miles that way, I was very happy that I had chosen earlier to go so far offshore) and a constant repeating trial set in: "course correction, motor forwards into the next wave, hit and lift up, turned by the wave as we are tossed about, crash down off course to port by 30 - 40 degree, sail to get speed up for a few seconds, turn back on course before we are hit again..." - Every 20 to 30 seconds - it was exhausting.

And then we got hit before I got her back on course, full broadside to the beam. Maya rolled to the port side, right over... and kept going. Me and the Crew member groaned as we grabbed on... I could see the dark icy water come up over the freeboard... for a moment we both thought she was going over... and then she broke the wave and rolled back...

Lesson learnt, do not allow, under any circumstances the steep, dark leviathons that were hitting us take us on the beam again.

The hours passed and as we approached the Estuary the wind dropped back... the sea state calmed and I could relax. As the sun came up we had an hour to wait on the tide until motoring the 15 miles up the river to Preston.

My thoughts?

What a boat! Westerly 31' Longow. I am so happy that I was in a Westerly. I'd hate to think how a light "modern" yacht would have taken such a sea? Maya looked after us, she shrugged off the winter storm and I honestly believe she enjoyed it.

To quote an old quotation "All men die, but not all men live"...

Adventure; go and find it and therein, find yourself.

What a post! Makes me want to go out and have an adventure now!!! :D

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, sadly the summer expedition didn't get very far due to several technical problems at sea (Loose battery pushed main electrical cables and high pressure hoses onto the alternator which severed them filling the engine bay with water) meant limping to Fleetwood for repairs.

Good news is I know my way around the engine pretty well now.

I am up late as my carbon monoxide alarm just went off. I had the heater on earlier so guess there is a fault on that?!? Turned off the main switch on that so it wont come on in the morning. Going to buy a couple of battery run alarms tomorrow and place one in the engine bay and one at the outlet for the heating in the aft cabin and test it tomorrow night. Never heard of a false alarm on one though.

The heater is a Webasto... anyone know anything obvious to check on them? I can upload pictures of it if it helps.

Boatbuoy

Visit site
Phew! Thank god for the sensor it could of been curtains for you!! goodto change the sensors if you don't know their age 7 years is maximum lifespan for these in UK (there is a 10 year one but expensive made by KIDDE) wipe around your heater with damp white cloth any yellow/amber soot usually means unefficient combustion and heater probably needs servicing, check flue for obstructions blockages and make sure you have sufficient ventilation.
Sorry to hear the expedition didn't go to plan!!

Last edited: