I now never turn on my VHF radio...

st599

Visit site
You could in theory use DW when working on ChM, but I don't think many people do.
As observed by others, clubs are often not listening on 16.
If they're operating on a club licence, they legally can't listen on Ch. 16. It covers M1, M2 and 80, but 80 required volunteers to have SRC and patrol boats to have ships licences, so most don't.

harvey38

Visit site
Do the Radio Stations have telephones?
They probably do but all boat traffic communication must be by VHF as it is a commercial port and things change very quickly. Permission to enter/leave can, and has been cancelled due to conflicting traffic, ironically, three of my cancellations were due to dimwits entering/leaving without calling up on VHF so intentions of their vessel was unknown🙈

Refueler

Visit site
Go on then name me a singe Dinghy Racing Club or Training Centre doing dinghy training/racing on the Solent (which is what was being discussed) which is not affiliated to the RYA. For each one you find I’ll send a £10 donation to one of the Solent independent lifeboat stations. You may have considered my post inaccurate, but it was at best imprecise by not highlighting the obvious theoretical exception. Hopefully my comment was at least slightly useful to any RYA affiliated club considering ditching VHF.

High horses ??

ALL TIDAL CLUBS ... was the comment ....... sort of bit different to the criteria you are pushing now ... not all clubs carry on activities as you list ... such as Class Dinghy Racing to RYA spec .. or Training Centre ... there are clubs who are just clubs where members enjoy camaraderie .. I will not name the club in Solent - but I was member of and they VOTED to stay as an 'independent club' and in fact had healthy dinghy and club racing events along with sail-meets to beaches for BBQs etc. They chose to follow recognised ratings and guidelines - but not officially and never got involved as Training Centre.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If a club is affiliated with RYA is there a fee that the club or members must pay to RYA every year to remain affiliated.

Is RYA affiliated with world sailing and if so, do those clubs have to comply with both RYA and World Sailing rules

ylop

Visit site
High horses ??

ALL TIDAL CLUBS ... was the comment .......
I am sure you are familiar with the concept of CONTEXT. It takes a special type of mental gymnastics to think that a comment about an RYA rule was supposed to apply outside the context of RYA clubs, if any such clubs actually exist in the area being discussed. Its an even more impressive type of obstinate to keep telling ME what I obviously meant!
sort of bit different to the criteria you are pushing now
I'm not pushing anything - you accused me of being wrong, and are essentially suggesting I am being intentionally misleading. I'm saying nobody who wasn't going out of their way to be confused could have thought my comment applied outside the context of the discussion: that context was safety / rescue boats for organised dinghy races in the Solent.
... not all clubs carry on activities as you list ... such as Class Dinghy Racing to RYA spec .. or Training Centre ...
I never mentioned "Class Dinghy Racing" - simply dinghy racing, and OR training centre broadens the scope not narrows it: there are training centres that don't do any racing, just as there are affiliated clubs who aren't RTCs.
there are clubs who are just clubs where members enjoy camaraderie ..
Being an RYA affiliated club does not exclude that!
I will not name the club in Solent - but I was member of and they VOTED to stay as an 'independent club' and in fact had healthy dinghy and club racing events along with sail-meets to beaches for BBQs etc. They chose to follow recognised ratings and guidelines - but not officially and never got involved as Training Centre.
You've just done the independent lifeboat out of a tenner by not actually backing up your claim! Do they still exist and operate entirely outside the auspices of the RYA?

However you will be pleased to know you have won. I really can't be arsed engaging with you any further. So I give up.

Babylon

Visit site
Interesting discussion... I've learnt a few things I didn't previously know.

Back to the theme of being really unseamanlike, I've now discovered a way to turn off the multitude of alarms on my VHF (Standard Horizon GX2100E DSC Class D transceiver with AIS fitted in 2014).

I think this covers the whole list! (However I'd be interested to know which DSC alarm I might keep - "Individual"? - so that I can selfishly ensure that at the minimum myself and my crew are kept safe from peril at sea?)

Of course once all these nuisance-calls are silenced, I'll once again leave the ship's VHF radio on Ch16 all the time as I used to... and thereby be aware of and able to respond to assist in a local rescue if I can, or assist with a Mayday relay if that situation arises, etc.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 17.09.42.png

Babylon

Visit site
PS - Actually I've just remembered that I did once use my VHF to assist in a rescue.

A small yacht was in trouble being swept by the falling tide and blown by a fairly stiff wind onto the Bramble Bank (Solent). The conditions were a bit bouncy and the yacht's keel kept hitting the ground. I could see that the skipper wasn't able to extract himself and the situation was getting gradually worse, so I held my own (small yacht's) position close by but in just enough deep water to keep safe. I couldn't hear any distress transmissions, so I eventually called him up by voice on Ch16 to ask if he was okay (identifying him only as "small yacht aground on Bramble Bank") and after a while a very frightened voice responded that he wasn't.

Aside from continuing to stand by, I didn't need to do any more, as of course the CG heard the transmissions and the Hamble inshore RIB was deployed to assist.

ylop

Visit site
Thanks Paul

Is it the club or the members who pay the fee to RYA and what benefits do members get from RYA
The club pays. The amount depends on the size of the club (calculated from their own membership fees I think?). So no direct per capita charge.

Benefits of membership and affiliation for another thread.

st599

Visit site
If a club is affiliated with RYA is there a fee that the club or members must pay to RYA every year to remain affiliated.

Is RYA affiliated with world sailing and if so, do those clubs have to comply with both RYA and World Sailing rules
Yes and Yes. In fact the requirements for Affiliate clubs greatly increase next year.

As for racing, the Racing Rules of Sailing are owned by World Sailing. The rules require an organising authority to be a member of World Sailing or a Member Governing body, which for the UK is the RYA.

It's the same to enter a race, the owner or skipper must either be a member of an affiliate or a personal member of the RYA

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I am aware of world sailing regulation 19 which specifies that fact so if the skipper / owner and all the crew are members of RYC or affiliated club they can race under WS rules of racing but if any crew are not a member of RYA or an affiliated club the boat cannot race, is that correct

Where an affiliated club has members who do not sail / race or are only social members are these members also included in the club membership to determine the RYA fees

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I am aware of world sailing regulation 19 which specifies that fact so if the skipper / owner and all the crew are members of RYC or affiliated club they can race under WS rules of racing but if any crew are not a member of RYA or an affiliated club the boat cannot race, is that correct

Where an affiliated club has members who do not sail / race or are only social members are these members also included in the club membership to determine the RYA fees
Yes.

dunedin

Visit site

Please don’t go off on your hobby horse again - leave this thread to be about VHF / DSC not your personal fixation