I now never turn on my VHF radio...

ylop

Visit site
I'm surprised people who've done a VHF course, and got a certificate and all that, don't know that shore stations like Sailing Clubs are mainly only licensed for Ch M1. That's why they're all using it for race management.

In many places, M1 is much busier than 16.
Some other places, it's more useful to listen on the port control channel.
I do understand this (although to be honest I don't actually remember it being covered on the course). They could be on M1 or M2. I've no issue at all with them using M1/M2 for their event chatter - that's the purpose. But their safety boats aren't shore stations. Am I supposed to guess if they are on M1 or M2? Is the coastguard calling all stations in X area supposed to make a special call to them (who might be the best equipped boat nearby!) on M1 then try M2 if no response? Modern radios (anything new enough to be waterproof!) all support dual watch. Back in ye olden days with lots of local MRCCs they might have had a clue who was likely to be out racing and a phone number - but with far fewer MRCCs and the potential that the working has been switched to an alternative MRCC due to call volume its unlikely they even know if theres likely to be a club rib around.

I regularly listen on both 16 and the VTS/Port Control Channel, either dual watch or with main set + handheld on different channels.
M1 and M2 are often used on a Coastal Station Licence by YCs without the operators needing an SRC. They can be used for race control, berthing etc. and often the YC will get the radios locked to only those 2 frequencies.
I don't think any safety boat should be operating with just M1/2 - they should have Ch16 there is always the possibility that they, or one of the boats in their charge, will need to make a distress call. It might be a training issue, or a "lets keep the focus on our race not the public" issue, but can you imagine explaining to the MAIB/coroner that your Safety Boats don't keep a listening watch on the internationally accepted distress channel so were unaware that a member of the public was in trouble just 1/2 mile from you until the CG chopper turned up?

Irish Rover

Visit site
In the Solent, you quite often hear a Radio Check call every 15 mins or so. DSC alarms probably every hour or so. The Coastguard use them to tell you their four hourly weather forecast is coming up on Channel 62, they also relay every Pan Pan and Mayday they get which on a windy summer day, can be many. (Round the Island Race day is a favourite - I think the record was 19 concurrent Maydays being dealt with by Coastguard and RNLI)
Thanks. Having learned all that I have every sympathy with the OP and others avoiding DSC alerts.

geem

Visit site
We have two vhf. On below and one in the cockpit. Both on seperate power supplies and seperate antennas on seperate masts. In the cockpit, we use the outside vhf. The below vhf is backup mainly

st599

Visit site
I don't think any safety boat should be operating with just M1/2 - they should have Ch16 there is always the possibility that they, or one of the boats in their charge, will need to make a distress call. It might be a training issue, or a "lets keep the focus on our race not the public" issue, but can you imagine explaining to the MAIB/coroner that your Safety Boats don't keep a listening watch on the internationally accepted distress channel so were unaware that a member of the public was in trouble just 1/2 mile from you until the CG chopper turned up?
If the safety boat is operating on the YC's Licence, their radio can only use M1, M2 and 80. I'm not sure it's even legal to have access to CH 16 on the radio equipment. M1 and M2 are the only 2 available without further licensing.

The other requirement would be to only use volunteers with an SRC and get Ships Radio licences for all safety boats.

The Ofcom text:

CSR (Marina) licence
CSR (Marina) licences are for sailing or yacht clubs, marinas and similar organi-
sations. They cover communications concerning the movement and berthing of
pleasure craft and the control of races. Three channels are available to CSR
(Marina) licensees:
(a) Channels M and M2
Each of these simplex channels uses a single frequency for transmitting and
receiving. As they are not international maritime channels, the user does not need a
Maritime Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence and Authority to Operate.
(b) Channel 80
This duplex channel uses two frequencies: one to transmit to the ship station
and one to receive from the ship station. Channel 80 is an international channel; it
may be used only by, or under the supervision of, someone holding a Maritime
Radio Operator’s Certificate and Authority to Operate.
Vessels wishing to transmit on Channel 80 must have their own Ship Radio
licence, and the radio operator must possess a Maritime Radio Operator’s
Certificate and Authority to Operate.

Caladh

Visit site
I've a command mic by the helm. Absolute godsend with the dsc alerts.

The CG just seem to use lat and long for emergencies nowadays. Means nothing to me unless I can write it down, etc. A range and distance off a notable place means so much more to me, especially when single or short handed sailing.
Absolutely agree with you, re position lat/long given by the CG

ylop

Visit site
If the safety boat is operating on the YC's Licence, their radio can only use M1, M2 and 80.
My understanding is if you do that and take your boat to a different venue - eg a regional event, you might technically be being naughty.
I'm not sure it's even legal to have access to CH 16 on the radio equipment.
my understanding is it IS legal to have the equipment capable of transmitting on 16 on a vessel, just the same as you can have 80 on your fixed shore station but it can only be used by, or under direct supervision of, a qualified person.
The other requirement would be to only use volunteers with an SRC and get Ships Radio licences for all safety boats.
but it is legal to use 16 in an emergency without a SRC. My previous club had Ships Radio Licenses for each boat - I assumed that was normal, I think all safety boat helms held SRC too - although I'm not certain about that. Disabling the means to contact the CG directly, or to talk to the helo or lifeboat that might come to save your ass when it all goes wrong sounds like a crazy way to show you are compliant. Moreover it means you can hear ME calling you to say that I've just been flagged down by one of your topaz's with a broken rudder and would you rather I brought him to you or just tow him the mile or so to the club!

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It is legal to use 16 in an emergency without an SRC.

I have an SRC, but wife does not but If I and no available due to me being knocked out or fallen overboard she can most certainly use the radio to call for assistance. If not, it would be ridicules.

Comments please

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I have an SRC, but wife does not but If I and no available due to me being knocked out or fallen overboard she can most certainly use the radio to call for assistance. If not, it would be ridicules.

Comments please
Your wife can use the radio in an emergency, as can anyone else. She can also use the radio at any other time if you are present.

Never Grumble

Visit site

Comments please
I made my wife go and do her SRC ... I wanted some confidence that If I were to fall overboard she'd know how to use the VHF

B27

Visit site
I do understand this (although to be honest I don't actually remember it being covered on the course). They could be on M1 or M2. I've no issue at all with them using M1/M2 for their event chatter - that's the purpose. But their safety boats aren't shore stations. Am I supposed to guess if they are on M1 or M2? Is the coastguard calling all stations in X area supposed to make a special call to them (who might be the best equipped boat nearby!) on M1 then try M2 if no response? Modern radios (anything new enough to be waterproof!) all support dual watch. Back in ye olden days with lots of local MRCCs they might have had a clue who was likely to be out racing and a phone number - but with far fewer MRCCs and the potential that the working has been switched to an alternative MRCC due to call volume its unlikely they even know if theres likely to be a club rib around.

I regularly listen on both 16 and the VTS/Port Control Channel, either dual watch or with main set + handheld on different channels.

Real world that's not going to happen.
If clubs tried that, half the 'chatter' as you disdainfully call it, would end up on 16.

I've heard discussion of Solent clubs binning Ch M and marine VHF completely, in favour of PMR, so be careful what you wish for!

I assume you are always poised to answer the VHF 24/7 when you're afloat and don't mind irrelevant DSC alerts at 3AM?

Boathook

Visit site
In the Solent, you quite often hear a Radio Check call every 15 mins or so. DSC alarms probably every hour or so. The Coastguard use them to tell you their four hourly weather forecast is coming up on Channel 62, they also relay every Pan Pan and Mayday they get which on a windy summer day, can be many. (Round the Island Race day is a favourite - I think the record was 19 concurrent Maydays being dealt with by Coastguard and RNLI)
I haven't heard solent cg use the dsc alarm for a routine weather forecast. I think they used it once for an urgent weather update but that is rare. They do announce the latest weather forecast quite a few times on ch16 as they transmit on various aerials.

Boathook

Visit site
If clubs tried that, half the 'chatter' as you disdainfully call it, would end up on 16.

I've heard discussion of Solent clubs binning Ch M and marine VHF completely, in favour of PMR, so be careful what you wish for!

I assume you are always poised to answer the VHF 24/7 when you're afloat and don't mind irrelevant DSC alerts at 3AM?
Once at anchor or moored up my radio is normally turned off. Sometimes I forget but soon turn it off as it chatters into life and wakes me up it is off.

ylop

Visit site
Not if they have even some basic training and instructions!
They’ll need to convince RYA as vhf on safety boat is required for all tidal clubs!
No. My radio is turned off once I put the boat “to bed”, ie anchored, engine off, instrument covers on, sail bag closed, kettle on etc. not least because at that point even if I did get a call the time for me to get moving to help someone would be significant. But whenever I did safety boat duties I always had dual watch on.

B27

Visit site
But you expect us to respond to your call for help ? ;)
Frankly, no.
It's the sea, if you're not comfortable with self-reliance and a level of risk, then stay ashore.

You're deluding yourself if you think that pushing the red button or launching the EPIRB will always save you.
Take responsibility for yourself and your ship, if anyone helps you that's a bonus not an entitlement.

vas

Visit site
I'm based in the Eastern Aegean Sea but I cruised through the Adriatic, Ionian and Aegean Island this year. I take the boat out locally here almost every day and longer trips a few times every year. I've had a DSC enabled VHF for 12 years or so. I think I've heard maximum 4/5 DSC alarms in that time and none this year. Is it just a UK problem.
luckier (or unluckier...) than me then!
In ten years in Sporades and N Aegean (I'm a summer only boater :) ) I've never even once had a DSC alarm!
The only thing I can hear from my CH12 comms is liners reporting how many cars/motorbikes/ppl they have onboard. Rather boring tbh

Alicatt

Visit site

Comments please
When I was doing my SRC exam at the end of the Powerboat 2 course with my wife, for the exam the examiner set my wife up as the other station to call and respond to the radio traffic, so she did learn how to use the DSC radio and the procedures in use and get over that initial fear of the new to her technology.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Frankly, no.
It's the sea, if you're not comfortable with self-reliance and a level of risk, then stay ashore.

You're deluding yourself if you think that pushing the red button or launching the EPIRB will always save you.
Take responsibility for yourself and your ship, if anyone helps you that's a bonus not an entitlement.
Some of us monitor 16 at all times and any other channels that are required to be monitored. For instance, i'm required to monitor 2 different channels before i get to the sea. Failure to do so will result in a severe dressing down from VTS. Twice in the last few weeks i've heard them task one of the pilot boats to swing over to an unresponsive yacht and tell them to switch to the appropriate channel, where they have been told politely, but in no uncertain terms, that they are required to monitor the appropriate channel.

st599

Visit site
Some of us monitor 16 at all times and any other channels that are required to be monitored. For instance, i'm required to monitor 2 different channels before i get to the sea. Failure to do so will result in a severe dressing down from VTS. Twice in the last few weeks i've heard them task one of the pilot boats to swing over to an unresponsive yacht and tell them to switch to the appropriate channel, where they have been told politely, but in no uncertain terms, that they are required to monitor the appropriate channel.
As there's no requirement for a pleasure vessel to have a VHF installed, how do they enforce that?