How to remove black mold from wood

Jonny A

Visit site
I'm stripping back and re-varnishing my tiller. What's the best way to get rid of black mold stains, without creating problems when I put varnish back over it?
Thanks

VicS

Visit site
I'm stripping back and re-varnishing my tiller. What's the best way to get rid of black mold stains, without creating problems when I put varnish back over it?
Thanks

Any benzalkonium chloride based mould killer ( eg Patio Magic, Polycell 3 in 1 Mould Killer) will kill the mould although not remove the black stains.

Boracol contains benzalkonium chloride and disodium octaborate. If, as pvb implies, it will remove the black spots then its the stuff to use otherwise Paito Magic or Polycell 3 in 1 will be cheaper but you may have to also use a wood cleanser.
Owatrol Net-Trol received favorable comments in a PBO teak cleaner test a couple of years ago

Humblebee

Visit site
Oxalic Acid, the active ingredient in Y10 and other cleaners, should do the trick. Cheap and widely available on the Internet. Handle with care though and look into safety instructions before use.

VicS

Visit site
If all else fails swimming pool liquid chlorine is effective at removing staining from slabs so might work on a tiller?

Liquid chlorine.
eek-new.png
, but perhaps you meant a hypochlorite solution ?

I would rinse off any hypochlorite or bleach solution , perhaps also neutralise the alkalinity and the chlorine after use with vinegar.

Bleach was also included in the PBO test mentioned previously https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/10-teak-cleaners-tested-27992

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
"Wet and Forget".
Soak using a spray. If it doesnt rain, wash off next day.
Repeat in 2 years.

Sounds reasonable as it probably has the same (or closely related) active ingredient as Patio Magic. Use whichever one is cheaper on basis of % active ingredient vs. cost.

I don't think you usually need to wash off Patio Magic. It is worth rinsing off eventually before launch if it doesn't rain before that time. Just ensure it won't rain for 5-6 hours after application and then forget about it. Any small unbound excess will be washed away by rain or next time you wash the boat.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Sounds reasonable as it probably has the same (or closely related) active ingredient as Patio Magic. Use whichever one is cheaper on basis of % active ingredient vs. cost.

It does. But it won't remove the stain.

Oxalic acid for the staining, then Boracol (or better, home brew you own with glycol and borax--article in Good Old Boat magazine a few months ago). The Borcol will take a while to dry (days) completely. Then re-varnish.

The borax/glycol treatment, if soaked for a good while, is almost like pressure treating the wood, without the down sides. I've been doing some long-term testing, and the results have been impressive.

Jonny A

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I've spent the afternoon trying repeated applications of diluted bleach but it hasn't had much effect. The stains have been sitting underneath the old varnish for several years (I guess) and appear pretty ingrained.

I was going to try the white vinegar option next as the shop down the road has bottles for 59p. Any suggestions on application - do I need to dilute it, and how long should I leave it on for?

Thanks again.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I've spent the afternoon trying repeated applications of diluted bleach but it hasn't had much effect. The stains have been sitting underneath the old varnish for several years (I guess) and appear pretty ingrained.

I was going to try the white vinegar option next as the shop down the road has bottles for 59p. Any suggestions on application - do I need to dilute it, and how long should I leave it on for?

Thanks again.

No.
Its pretty dilute ( 5% ish ) as it is. It wont do any harm if you leave it on overnight or longer . I'll be surprised if it has any effect.

johnalison

Visit site

Oxalic acid for the staining, then Boracol (or better, home brew you own with glycol and borax--article in Good Old Boat magazine a few months ago). The Borcol will take a while to dry (days) completely. Then re-varnish.
I agree; it probably needs both methods, though I think that I would use them in the reverse order, with Boracol/Patio Magic to control the mould, followed by oxalic acid to brighten the wood.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

The borax/glycol treatment, if soaked for a good while, is almost like pressure treating the wood, without the down sides. I've been doing some long-term testing, and the results have been impressive.

Sometimes I think things are just so obvious and have been said many times before that I just forget to mention them. Then I see people mixing up nitrites and sulfites plus many other things and remember it isn't so obvious to everyone. :D:D As you say, it's worth mentioning, Quaternary ammonium salts won't remove stains, just surface mould.

So better off using Patio Magic or Boracol if you want to pay more for the added Disodium Octaborate to keep termites at bay (or claimed synergistic effect in conjunction with Benzalkonium Chloride).

Last edited:

Jonny A

Visit site
This is what it looks like:
20190101_092818.jpg

It's too deep in the grain to possibly sand out. I don't think it's rot though, the wood itself looks fine, it's just discoloured. And I'd really like to get it removed before I re-varnish.

I feel bad enough putting bleach onto the wood as I'm worried about leaching out the oils. And I don't want to use any sort of patio cleaner as I don't know what all the ingredients are - I don't want some sort of residue buggering up the varnish.