Grab bag

zoidberg

Visit site
We are encouraged to carry and fill a Grab Bag - but what with?

Force 4 offer some ideas here

I'll likely use some of them, but have my own thoughts. One good idea, copied from Raphaël Dinelli, is to include a bottle of good French champagne, which - legend has it - he handed up to Pete Goss from his liferaft as he was being picked up out of the Southern Ocean.

51166129508_ec9bb6e688_z.jpg

Well, it worked for him.... :LOL:

penberth3

Visit site
We are encouraged to carry and fill a Grab Bag - but what with?

Force 4 offer some ideas here

I'll likely use some of them, but have my own thoughts. One good idea, copied from Raphaël Dinelli, is to include a bottle of good French champagne, which - legend has it - he handed up to Pete Goss from his liferaft as he was being picked up out of the Southern Ocean.

51166129508_ec9bb6e688_z.jpg

Well, it worked for him.... :LOL:

Seriously, not a good idea. If I was about to grab a grab bag in an emergency I'd worry about the risk of broken glass. Think about your LJ, your raft, as well as the human flesh. Avoid the hazard, don't do it.

ctva

Visit site
Seriously, not a good idea. If I was about to grab a grab bag in an emergency I'd worry about the risk of broken glass. Think about your LJ, your raft, as well as the human flesh. Avoid the hazard, don't do it.
Surely you can get champers in boxes now?
That would keep everyone happy...

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
For items not used in rescuing etc: Keys, mobile, wallet, passport, so you can carry on life without the PITA of empty pockets in foreign climes. (Got the T-shirt) Think beyond the flares and helo.
I have had this chat with crew a few times, and it helps the will to deal with possible wreck and rescue, by actually imagining the scenario. We are planning to survive and we are going to have that drink when we have succeeded.

IMG_4866.JPG

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Burger, my ageing fruitbat - what gets you thinking you'll be needing a grab bag?

Claysie, I might drift nor'wards a ways. I might get invited to a 'hoolie'.

And.... have you met yon Amazon who runs the CalMac quay at Oban? She takes no prisoners.... :LOL:

oilybilge

Visit site
A bottle of Laphroaig

A Serrano ham

Smoked olives

The complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle

A dog

Maybe an epirb, but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to activate it

Bobc

Visit site
A bottle of Laphroaig

A Serrano ham

Smoked olives

The complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle

A dog

Maybe an epirb, but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to activate it
Agree with all that, except the dog (unless you find that sort of thing tasty).

zoidberg

Visit site
Don't take a dog - it'll want to go for 'walkies' and 'widdles' every few minutes.
Take a lamb.... or a basket of homing pigeons.

prv

Visit site
For items not used in rescuing etc: Keys, mobile, wallet, passport, so you can carry on life without the PITA of empty pockets in foreign climes.

Yep. I have a laminated sheet in the bottom of the bag with colour photocopies of my passport, driving license, EHIC (less use now ?), debit and credit cards, and a selection of phone numbers. Also a drybag in an external pocket of the grab bag, ready (if time allows) to chuck in passports, wallets, phones, keys, and anything else to hand.

I've been meaning to add a pack of fags and lighter for my regular crew who smokes, but never quite got round to it.

Pete