Grab bag

laika

Visit site
Geiger counter, iodine tablets, axe, holy water, compact crossbow with silver-tipped quarrels, cigarettes for bribes/barter

Oh wait you mean the grab bag that I keep on the boat in case of disasters rather the one I have for taking there in case of disasters

greeny

Visit site
Yep. I have a laminated sheet in the bottom of the bag with colour photocopies of my passport, driving license, EHIC (less use now ?), debit and credit cards, and a selection of phone numbers. Also a drybag in an external pocket of the grab bag, ready (if time allows) to chuck in passports, wallets, phones, keys, and anything else to hand.

I've been meaning to add a pack of fags and lighter for my regular crew who smokes, but never quite got round to it.

Pete
I'd put fags in there fast. Make it a priority.
I got stuck on a normally unmanned gas rig for 4 days with 3 smokers who ran out of ciggies. Not nice people to live with after a few hours. They get :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: very quickly.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I'd put fags in there fast. Make it a priority.
I got stuck on a normally unmanned gas rig for 4 days with 3 smokers who ran out of ciggies. Not nice people to live with after a few hours. They get :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: very quickly.
Interesting that smoking is allowed on gas rigs!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Reminds me of a patrol I was out on with some Royal Marines. We paused for a moment and the word came round that smokers had time for one between two.

The mad scrabble amongst the nicotine addicts was very quickly followed by the follow up order:

But you can't light them.
(Some junior officers have a very warped sense of humour)

zoidberg

Visit site
Was it Captain John Illingworth who quipped, at a RORC dinner, that 'The three most useless objects on a racing sailboat are an umbrella, a bicycle, and a serving naval officer"......?

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com

he means a platform (NUI, normally unmanned installation) and not a rig. Rigs move about and deal with oil, gas and often water (in unsuccessful exploration).

smoking is allowed in designated parts of all platforms and rigs (they are not usually leaking hydrocarbons) but nowhere near the wellheads.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Was it Captain John Illingworth who quipped, at a RORC dinner, that 'The three most useless objects on a racing sailboat are an umbrella, a bicycle, and a serving naval officer"......?
I say old chap, he was the Commodore don't you know, such a vulgar Americanism as 'sailboat' would never have passed his lips ;)

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Only in designated "safe area".

the ‘smoko’.
It’s more than ten years since I’ve been offshore. Anyway I never smoked offshore- I only smoke with a beer. Offshore I was the Wellsite Geologist, and only ever went to the smoko to find recalcitrant mudloggers or, sometimes, to have an argument with the company man.

later I came into the office to be the Operations Geologist and spent several years smoking and drinking continuously as operations unfolded especially when the company man offshore couldn’t be dragged out of the smoko. :)

Tomahawk

Visit site
Seriously, not a good idea. If I was about to grab a grab bag in an emergency I'd worry about the risk of broken glass. Think about your LJ, your raft, as well as the human flesh. Avoid the hazard, don't do it.

Have you tried breaking a champaign bottle..
They often bounce off ships instead of breaking ... much to the embarrassment of the shipyard.