Golden Globe Race

zoidberg

Visit site
Here's the Livetracker plot of his recent track changes....

It rather looks like he is navigating with both precision and prudence. More than a little impressive, given the sea state and conditions for astro.

It seems he saw the shape of the islands in the dawn, which is what we'd all hope for, and shaped his course accordingly.

''The more I practice, the luckier I get.'

Frank Holden

Visit site
It seems he saw the shape of the islands in the dawn, which is what we'd all hope for, and shaped his course accordingly.

''The more I practice, the luckier I get.'

Once he raised Diego Ramirez it was all easy peasy....

Making landfall with Diego Ramirez fine to port was the impressive bit....

I see he has gone inside Isla Estados and through Le Maire... good move if you look at the weather... must have been lucky with the tide times....

Attachments

• lemaire.jpg
    lemaire.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0

Frank Holden

Visit site
So much for the sextant navigation....

'They [the GGR racers] are given their accurate position (from their trackers) as part of their weather forecasts. '

'JEANNE: Please note - they get their positions from talking to radio contacts daily on SSB - the fact that skies are overcast for days on end, preventing sextant sights being taken, does not stop them from knowing exactly where they are from other people who can see their tracker positions! They don't have to wait to find a ship in their vicinity to talk to on VHF any more...'

https://www.facebook.com/goodoldboat/posts/2351393134902402

Whole lot should be disqualified........

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
So much for the sextant navigation....

'They [the GGR racers] are given their accurate position (from their trackers) as part of their weather forecasts. '

'JEANNE: Please note - they get their positions from talking to radio contacts daily on SSB - the fact that skies are overcast for days on end, preventing sextant sights being taken, does not stop them from knowing exactly where they are from other people who can see their tracker positions! They don't have to wait to find a ship in their vicinity to talk to on VHF any more...'

https://www.facebook.com/goodoldboat/posts/2351393134902402

Whole lot should be disqualified........

That's a shame, it takes away a lot from the race if true. Quite misleading of the race organisers though I guess it'd be hard to monitor all radio communication.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
But this was one of the glaring achilles heels of the original GGR race concept. Digital cameras and videos were banned (despite making for much better film coverage), because it was too difficult to police the GPS embedded in all these things these days.

But it was obvious that more significantly, they wouldn't be able to police the whole of the amateur ham SW world to stop someone from mentioning positions and locations of competitors. Nor could you stop them 'discussing' the weather in a way that would greatly simplify route choices, even it not actually breaching the 'no external routing' rule.

So significant was the advantage of being connected via the amateur bands, that getting a licence and being really au fait with using HF equipment was in the top 3 of things to do in getting ready for the race.

I'm convinced that the predominately smooth route that Jean Luc is taking is because he is anticipating the weather systems due to 'good' quality weather information over the HF amateur bands. As you go further back in the fleet, the tracks become more torturous in direct relation to the declining value they're getting from their 'chats' over SSB.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
But this was one of the glaring achilles heels of the original GGR race concept. Digital cameras and videos were banned (despite making for much better film coverage), because it was too difficult to police the GPS embedded in all these things these days.

But it was obvious that more significantly, they wouldn't be able to police the whole of the amateur ham SW world to stop someone from mentioning positions and locations of competitors. Nor could you stop them 'discussing' the weather in a way that would greatly simplify route choices, even it not actually breaching the 'no external routing' rule.

So significant was the advantage of being connected via the amateur bands, that getting a licence and being really au fait with using HF equipment was in the top 3 of things to do in getting ready for the race.

I'm convinced that the predominately smooth route that Jean Luc is taking is because he is anticipating the weather systems due to 'good' quality weather information over the HF amateur bands. As you go further back in the fleet, the tracks become more torturous in direct relation to the declining value they're getting from their 'chats' over SSB.

We can't un-invent the computer or the satellite. I'm quietly amused that this was picked up by Jeanne Socrates and Frank Holden who both sail in those latitudes themselves - Frank I know is an SSB user - who incidentally wrote a book on astro-navigation.

Allan

Visit site
This morning they have issued a new rule. No positions to be given over SSB. Given that they are warning skippers if they get near the exclusion zones, I think they would be better to allow it. Next time they should have GPS too.
Allan

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
So who saw Robin's face (who I quite admire) when Don dropped the potential window rule on their latest two old blokes chat (which I quite enjoy)...

I would have thought they (Don) would be relaxing rules rather then bringing more in for the 2022 race.

Last edited: