Golden Globe Race

zoidberg

Visit site
Digging around, this would seem to be the arrangement in question - but no guarantees....

45706017942_a6166017dd_m.jpg

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
Personally, I think that the rules for this race that required a transom hung rudder was very restricting on the choice of boats. As a result I think that whilst well intentioned it has made the race more dangerous. They could have allowed skeg hung rudders that would have offered a much greater choice of vessels.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Personally, I think that the rules for this race that required a transom hung rudder was very restricting on the choice of boats. . .

I think you mean a rudder attached to a full keel. There was no requirement for it to be transom hung.

But the number of production boat designs in GRP with separate fin and skegs that were contemporaneous with the original Golden Globe, are quite limited. The Swan 36 would have been one (just) plus . . ?

The mass of designs like that didn't really come about until the late 60s and into the 1970s.

Frank Holden

Visit site
I wonder if he drops a class, whether he'll drop out like Peche did. He has nothing to prove after all having been around the globe a few times. Having said that, if he plans on sailing her home, he may as well keep going and get the GGR support around it.

Is there not a closer port that he could go into - it feels like it's a long way north?

Puerto Montt would be a far better choice..... better facilities for yachts.... a lot further south..... hard work in summer getting back down to this lat from the Valpo area.... enter either through Guafo or Chacao... take your pick...

zoidberg

Visit site
There is some detailed commentary developing 'in another place' about what may well have been the technical reason behind J-L's partial rig failure - which may be relevant to many others - but, knowing how precious and sensitive some souls are hereabouts, I won't repeat it on here.

This underscores again that, if technically well-informed answers to current boaty problems are sought, this may not the the best, first port of call.

doug748

Visit site
There is some detailed commentary developing 'in another place' about what may well have been the technical reason behind J-L's partial rig failure - which may be relevant to many others - but, knowing how precious and sensitive some souls are hereabouts, I won't repeat it on here.

This underscores again that, if technically well-informed answers to current boaty problems are sought, this may not the the best, first port of call.

Thanks for sparing us that. I think most folk are sick of the second guessing and finger pointing that goes on every time there is a marine upset.

zoidberg

Visit site
For all those who abhor uncertainties and other than guaranteed-reliable actions, look away now.

For the rest of us, this from Jean-Luc VDF - translated, and courtesy of a network of ham radio enthusiasts....

"I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of escaping the storm (220 miles lost to the North)." My mast is now extremely precarious due to my capsize. If I stop to make a repair, it will be only temporary. For Matmut to continue sailing, it will need more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided, to save my soul (dixit Moitessier), to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with what I can use onboard. If I get dismasted, I have like all competitors a jury rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a damaged boat. And if by miracle I get to Les Sables d'Olonne, I do not care about the ranking, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure."

zoidberg

Visit site
Here's a little bit more, tonight....

Mark #Sinclair (via satellite) ROUTINE ENG CHKS NO SEAWATER DISCHARGE,SEACOCK OK,IMPELLOR?? /"Vérifications de routine du moteur faites pas d'eau salée, vanne ok, turbine??"

And for just a little speculation ( look away now if you can't/won't muse )...

The problem could be crustacean growth in, round, over the raw water inlet. I and others have had that, restricting water flow. A long flexible stick - a sort of drain rodder - may be pushed down after the hose to the waterpump is disconnected ( above the waterline ) and some temporary blockage relief achieved. i'm aware that those with teardrop grills over the inlet will have more difficulty.

zoidberg

Visit site
From Barry Pickthall...

"PENALTY
In the spirit of the GOLDEN GLOBE RACE and noting the fact that J-L VDH received NO MATERIAL ASSISTANCE through the use of his GGR Satphone, GGR Organisers have applied an 18-hour time penalty to J-L VDH to be served in the GGR PENALTY BOX."

So what and where is the GGR PENALTY BOX.....?

Is that an ice-hockey thing? Something like 18 hours during a pit stop? It's a pity, in a way, that there isn't another 'pitstop' photo-drop ahead like Hobart.

I have the feeling that J-L VDH has more significant matters to focus on at present.

Wandering Star

Visit site
It appears Susie Goodall is making ground on Uku Randmaa who is n 3rd place, for the past 2 or 3 days she’s been sailing a consistent 6+ knots to Uku’s 4 knots and is now only a couple of hundred miles behind him. Does anyone know the status of Jean-Luc VDH entry? He still appears to be racing according to his track whereas I thought he was retiring due to a riggng problem?

zoidberg

Visit site
It's quite clear from the Race Director's published statements that Jean-Luc continues to race in the primary class, albeit with an 18 hour time penalty for use of his satphone, contrary to the rules. It is remarkable that his mast survived a pitch-pole, although with some damage, and he is nursing it towards Cape Horn and the gentler (!) conditions beyond.

However, there are a couple of forecast storms coming his way, and he's not out of the woods yet.

Susie G. has steadily and consistently been gaining ground on Uku for quite some time now. Her earlier work to clear her hull/rudder of barnacles is clearly paying off. Compare her daily averages with those ahead and behind..... The last time I subtracted Uku's DTF from Susie's ( 11129 - 10896 ) she was within 233nm of him and closing steadily at better than 25nm per day. Simple arithmetic suggests she may pass him before the end of the Prohibited Sector. Of course, many vagaries of weather could change that.....

She reported she'd compiled a list of 'things she'd do/take differently' and I'd very much like to see that. Can't be as long as some of the others'.....

PlankWalker

Visit site
If the Livertracker is accurate, it would appear that Istvan has crept into the exclusion zone on 2 occasions, what time penalty is that? Probably hasn't had a noon-sight for a bit....

zoidberg

Visit site
If the Livertracker is accurate, it would appear that Istvan has crept into the exclusion zone on 2 occasions, what time penalty is that? Probably hasn't had a noon-sight for a bit....

A 'reminder' query to Don MacIntyre elicited that he/they'd award a penalty, but hadn't got a round tuit.

PlankWalker

Visit site
Istvan Kopar has some serious steering problems with his Tradewind, it's detailed on his latest safety sat call. I'll be interested to see if he can get out of this as it appears pretty terminal to me.

zoidberg

Visit site
On the 'Day By Day' section, the race orgs have asked for questions.

Given the significant problems still being encountered by serious growth of mussels and worms, I want to know what curry powder Jean-Luc added to the final coat of his antifoul paint..... vindaloo, madras or balti.

I'd be keen to use some of that myself. It'll be a lot cheaper than copper powder....:rolleyes:

zoidberg

Visit site
At the time of writing, Jean-Luc in MATMUT is about 4 hours from the Islas Ildefonso and about 110nm from Cabo de Hornos. It looks like he altered course ESE as he crossed the edge of the continental shelf. Perhaps his sounder started to read and/or he felt the change in sea shape......

I understand those islands are 'unlit' so I hope his DR is spot-on.....

zoidberg

Visit site
Here's the Livetracker plot of his recent track changes....

46013022061_21edc9cb91_z.jpg

It rather looks like he is navigating with both precision and prudence. More than a little impressive, given the sea state and conditions for astro.

Other threads that may be of interest