German found dead on boat in Albufeira Marina

t21

Visit site
Aw, very sad, altho we all go sometime and maybe dying on the boat not a dreadful exit? Marinas have to deal with this from time to time. Sympathies to family ....

and note: prices in Albufeira marina TRIPLE on 1st June so maybe ask for dispensation to pay his fees to date and yerknow, that's enough? I am sure they will be understanding. No, not dark humour - things continue for all the rest of us.

Poignard

Visit site
It makes me think of the death of R.T. McMullen, the Victorian yachtsman and author of "Down Channel", who died alone at sea.

"His last voyage was in 1891 where he died at sea aged 61. McMullen set sail in the 6 ton lugger Perseus solo bound for France after calling in at Eastbourne to post a letter on 13 July. On 15 July his vessel was boarded by some French fishermen and McMullen was found dead of a heart attack in the cockpit of the vessel with his hand still on the tiller. He was brought ashore at Beuzeval in France and buried there."

[Wikipedia]

V1701

Visit site
It makes me think of the death of R.T. McMullen, the Victorian yachtsman and author of "Down Channel", who died alone at sea.

"His last voyage was in 1891 where he died at sea aged 61. McMullen set sail in the 6 ton lugger Perseus solo bound for France after calling in at Eastbourne to post a letter on 13 July. On 15 July his vessel was boarded by some French fishermen and McMullen was found dead of a heart attack in the cockpit of the vessel with his hand still on the tiller. He was brought ashore at Beuzeval in France and buried there."

[Wikipedia]

If you had any choice as to how you will shuffle off this mortal coil that would have to near the top of the list...

lindsay

Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with Poignard. I know the McMullen story well. I am 84 and stuck now in the UK, while my boat, on which I have lived fof 22 years, is still hopefully bobbing up and down in a French Med marina. Both boat and owner need maintenance. Let's see what happens!

nortada

Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with Poignard. I know the McMullen story well. I am 84 and stuck now in the UK, while my boat, on which I have lived fof 22 years, is still hopefully bobbing up and down in a French Med marina. Both boat and owner need maintenance. Let's see what happens!

Wise words, fingers crossed that you and your boat will be reunited in the near future. ? (y)

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I sincerely wish you a swift recovery and return to your boat as soon as the world resumes some normality.

At age 84 I was forced to sell my Italian-based boat in April last year. I had laid her up in November and driven home with a mild abdominal pain that was later diagnosed as a category 4 colon cancer, so had little choice.

Aboard was a fine collection of nautical books, some of which were early editions, including Down Channel by RT Mcmullen, with an introduction by Arthur Ransom and Dixon Kemp. Luckily, the volume was duplicated at home by a Grafton Books edition of 1986 instead of the original one of 1893. However, it contains the poignant postscript relating the last movements of the author:

"In the morning of the 13th, Mr. McMullen landed and
posted a letter at Eastbourne. After this he boarded the
'Perseus' again, and went on down Channel. The next heard
of him was a telegram on June 16, saying he was found dead on
the evening of June 15 by some French fishermen. He was
sitting in the cockpit, with his face looking towards the sky,
and the vessel sailing herself along. The doctor said he had
been dead twenty-four hours when his body was found, the
cause of death being failure of the heart's action. He must,
therefore, have died in mid-Channel on Sunday night, the 14th
of June. The weather was fine, the breeze light, and the young
moon was shimmering on the placid sea. He was landed at