Gosport marina boat incident

ylop

Visit site
Its incidents like that (I assume alcohol involved) makes it easier for the authorities to bring in licensing and more controls. Won't necessarily stop the incident, but makes it much easier to prosecute.
It’s quite a leap that alcohol was the issue. Incompetence. Mechanical problem with steering. Idiots showing off. All seem just as likely to me as someone being so drunk they hit the wall on one side of the solent and then crash again on the other.

veshengro

Visit site
" they hit the wall on one side of the solent and then crash again on the other."

If it was a powerful white plastic speedboat at speed, it may have been a rebound or ricochet...🤭

Elessar

Visit site
It’s quite a leap that alcohol was the issue. Incompetence. Mechanical problem with steering. Idiots showing off. All seem just as likely to me as someone being so drunk they hit the wall on one side of the solent and then crash again on the other.
It’s quite a leap that anything in the paper is true at all!

capnsensible

Visit site
It’s quite a leap that anything in the paper is true at all!
The op link is to the BBC website. Are they wrong?

Or how about the local newspaper....https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/three-people-hospitalised-following-speedboat-collision-in-gosport-marina-4600853

Stemar

Visit site
Having seen a few incidents at first hand, then read about them in the papers, I'm pretty cynical about their accuracy, but it does seem clear that a boat got it seriously wrong in Cowes then had another go in Gosport, hitting something sufficiently hard to batter the occupants enough to need more than a couple of plasters. Given the time of the Gosport bit, speculation that alcohol was involved is not entirely unreasonable but, until we see them in court and found guilty, it can only be speculation.

lustyd

Visit site
to the BBC website. Are they wrong?
That's the default assumption these days, unfortunately. Gone are the days of trust, impartiality and independence in favour of building a world beating propaganda machine to ensure the plebs keep arguing amongst themselves.

In this case though, they appear to have reported what they were told happened and left it at that. Speculation about the involvement of alcohol or anything else is pointless since there won't be any follow up or update.

capnsensible

Visit site
That's the default assumption these days, unfortunately. Gone are the days of trust, impartiality and independence in favour of building a world beating propaganda machine to ensure the plebs keep arguing amongst themselves.

In this case though, they appear to have reported what they were told happened and left it at that. Speculation about the involvement of alcohol or anything else is pointless since there won't be any follow up or update.
Yeah, I shouldt think many have bothered reading the BBC guidelines for impartiality and just jump in with size ten boots.....

Dubarrys probably. :)

ylop

Visit site
Speculation about the involvement of alcohol or anything else is pointless since there won't be any follow up or update.
3 people in hospital.
Convenient for MAIB HQ to investigate.
I’d be surprised if, at the least the MAIB don’t have a nosey around and write some lessons learned!

Minerva

Visit site
At the moment they seem more interested in showing off their willys or digging themselves out of complicated housing arrangements!
The current crop may think that a headline of "Clamping down on irresponsible yacht owners" complete with pictures of Mr Bezos new toy may bring them some votes.

The fact the incident involved a small day boat is entirely irrelevant.

ylop

Visit site
The current crop may think that a headline of "Clamping down on irresponsible yacht owners" complete with pictures of Mr Bezos new toy may bring them some votes.

The fact the incident involved a small day boat is entirely irrelevant.
They might even already have a convenient three word slogan! Small boats, south coast, a prosecution!