Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Aha, well spotted
Actually those are the workboat's legs I think. I'm quite curious to see how it will be done, and the wreck might break up when being lifted as well.
Old picture from upthread, no piles, you're quite right.

index.php

pvb

Visit site
Just imagine the cost of this exercise! And all being paid for by the local taxpayers, because the harbourmaster let the boat berth for free, if the previous report is correct.

dom

Visit site
Just imagine the cost of this exercise! And all being paid for by the local taxpayers, because the harbourmaster let the boat berth for free, if the previous report is correct.

Not sure if the fees would have made much of a dent into the salvage costs.

Better IMHO to emulate other harbours and introduce a no-exceptions policy for at least 3rd party insurance for permanent berth holders with sight of the renewal docs required each year.

Brixham almost certainly will henceforth!

burgundyben

Visit site
50 tons. Ooof. I looked at her last year, she is a big lump.

Barge looks a bit small?

Perhaps what can be seen on the barge are air compressors to pump up flotation bags.

I would think ( with my non existent salvage expertise) if the hull is in one piece, floating her, fixing the leak and pumping her out for towage would be preferable to breaking up in situ.

Of course if the hull has failed in a big way that's not going to work. In which case smashing up in situ might be what they plan.

Fimacca

Visit site
I moored there in brixham for many years, I was only asked for insurance proof once. It should form part of the annual renewal imho.
I spent some time checking dodgy boats around me whenever I left my boat there, and retying many a tardy worn strop to a rusty cleat on old boats, or what was left of a cleat ! There were many old wrecks still floating and likely to break free if they took the fancy .

Part of the new age issue for harbourmasters is removal of old boats left abandoned, as GRP seems to last forever......some are good at this, some are very poor ! There were abandoned boats left on moorings there for 2-3 years at any time. Honest council proficiency !
When I spoke to the new owner of sea beast, I already knew the likely outcome of this sorry tale...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'm not sure that checking insurance is a guarantee of anything. Various threads on ybw have revealed that there are people either blind to the circumstantial evidence that some insurers offering cheap 'no survey' insurance have a poor record on paying out, or going with them and admitting that it's their only route to such a worthless certificate. Add to that the number who might stoop to using photoshop and a printer.

trevbouy

Visit site
Well they fitted bags, straightened it up on harbour bed then much to my astonishment tried to lift it with the HIAB

raising.jpg

D

Deleted member 36384

... Part of the new age issue for harbourmasters is removal of old boats left abandoned, as GRP seems to last forever......

I would suggest it is not new age but has always been part of the marine fabric. On the Firth of Clyde for as long as I have sailed on it (since the late 70's) junk boats have always been a feature. In the 70's and 80's it was generally old work boats, ex fishing boats, MTBs, barges and even Puffer hulks filling corners of harbours and basins. All now long gone, cleared out, harbours opened up and basins reconstituted for the leisure market. The last sinking I saw (December 2020) was in the Holy Loch, ex wooden fishing boat conversion which had been afloat 2019, before that was Largs Marina, steel fishing boat about 2012. There have been some clear outs in recent times with the Arctic Penguin departed from the ruined pier at Inveraray. Gairloch Head, at Faslane where we maintain our submarines, has a few boats beyond economical repair on their moorings; this area has always attracted old boats to the moorings.

6855659243_b41e79a682_b.jpg

James_Calvert

Visit site
I'd heard that if authorities check insurance certificates they can make themselves also liable in the event the insurance is ineffective.

So now they don't.

andy59

Visit site
Looks like the Sea Tang webcam has been locked for the recovery, but now there are probably so many on there its constantly buffering :LOL:
found a photo when it was afloat.

Attachments

• gaff schooner.jpg
    gaff schooner.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 67