Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My BB certificate for this year has the boat name and type (or reg num if there is one) but someone willing to pull a fast one could obvs easily fake or doctor an insurance certificate.
Yes, they have changed the quote and purchase system now to include name and type of boat. Sorry, I should have made clear that I was talking about Ye Olde Days.

dgadee

Visit site
The appeal for purchase a restoration of Inverary Pier is for £100k. That's 0.04% of the Argyll and Bute Council annual budget. Mind you, that's the council which spent £85k on new handrails for Helensburgh pier but didn't actually make it usable by ships.

Bangor council bought a 2nd hand pontoon for Groomsport but news is it is not going in and will be scrapped (H&S). Supposedly £100k if gossip is true (and isn't it always?) Mind you they also took over a fishing boat which had been stripped of all sellable gear and left lying at Ballywalter harbour. They weren't allowed to tow it out and sink it, so that was supposed to have cost another £30k or so to break up. I also believe that although they own Bangor Marina they get no income - they actually pay to have it run half full. Argyll and Bute should come over here and learn a thing or two about marine waste.

Newsflash: just looked at council papers. Gossip was wrong - they spent only £3500 on buying the pontoons (not sure how much to moved them). A wise council indeed! But the pontoons are still not going in (I think).

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm no expert although I have done some airbag lifting, I don't get what they are doing. It's a falling tide, the airbags are inflated on tight lines and the forward mast has risen approx 9 inches. Now to me it seems the diver will have to deflate the bags and go round tightening the lines to achieve a lift on the rising tide unless they only want it just off the bottom.
Lifting it enough to get slings underneath?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I also believe that although they own Bangor Marina they get no income - they actually pay to have it run half full.
It's three years since I was in Bangor (iirc) and I was amazed at how empty it was. The cheaper (inshore) side of the place was basically empty. I was really tempted to over-winter there - they offered me an astoundingly good deal.

trevbouy

Visit site
If they do get slings underneath then what? That HIAB won't touch it, tried that this morning.

They've left for today. The boat had a 20 degree tilt to starboard originally, it's now 20 degrees to port and lower now in the water than previously by quite a way.

High tide tomorrow is 10am so should be interesting.

Sorry if I upset anyone today, it was lockdown boredom on my own. It provided a real life interesting event.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If they do get slings underneath then what? That HIAB won't touch it, tried that this morning.

They've left for today. The boat had a 20 degree tilt to starboard originally, it's now 20 degrees to port and lower now in the water than previously by quite a way.

Sorry if I upset anyone today, it was lockdown boredom on my own. It provided a real life interesting event.
How could what you’ve posted upset anyone? It’s been interesting reading and viewing.
Thanks.

TernVI

Visit site
Maybe the Hiab was testing attachment points? You don't want bags breaking free.

The density of concrete is only about 2.5? so less airbags than the whole dead weight.

dom

Visit site

I think your posts are great: this is turning out to be a really interesting boaty recovery saga and without someone on the ground none of this would have been brought to life....

.....far more interesting than the newspapers this morning :) (y)

And believe me, we're all suffering from lockdown boredom right now o_O

pvb

Visit site

dom

Visit site

trevbouy

Visit site
I only commented on what I saw. I asked Chris at Sea Tang to put the camera on it for the lift.
To be honest this morning they looked like they didn't have a clue, much hands in pockets and shrugging going off. Later they actually made some progress.
As far as I could tell by the body language it was the diver who had had enough and spurred them into action.
I also believe all they want to do is get gunwhales above water then pump her out. But what sunk it, cracked hull?
That crane on the back of the Sir David Attenborough looks like it would do the job but unfortunately her draft may be a tad to deep for the harbour.
I can't wait to get back there after being stranded by lockdown, I could watch in the flesh then. Planned for March 8th return fingers crossed.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
That was the Sir D Attenborough!

SIR D. ATTENBOROUGH (Other) Registered in UK - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9798222, MMSI 740405000, Call Sign ZDLQ3

PS This is the ship which an online poll overwhelmingly voted to call "Boaty McBoatface".
Yes and the authorities, denying us of our democratic rights, appeased the angry mob with a promise to use the name on one of her workboats. No mention on the website however, they're Erebus and Terror not Boaty McBoatface. Fascists!

trevbouy

Visit site
Lockdown et al maybe a disaster but it has brought Torbay some extra interest. The comings and goings of the cruise ships brought colour and the crews were very friendly on Spotted Torbay page. They lit up for events such as Xmas and New Year and sounded their horns for special occasions.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes and the authorities, denying us of our democratic rights, appeased the angry mob with a promise to use the name on one of her workboats. No mention on the website however, they're Erebus and Terror not Boaty McBoatface. Fascists!
The name went to one of her submersibles, pictured here with a slimy limpet and bloke in a blue shirt.

190618-boaty-mcboatface-cs-1111a_adf47bdbe1c0ca738911fbbddb991655.nbcnews-fp-1024-512.jpg