Friend overdue

Tranona

Visit site
Bill has done more with less than anyone else I know. He is not likely to change now. He is intending to build a windvane before venturing further afield, and I will try to get him interested in a basic WiFi enabled AIS receiver he can interface with Navionics. He is not huge on paperwork, but navigates his way around and through bureaucracy fairly adroitly.
I suspect he will struggle with this one as he sounds like he is breaking all the laws he can in trying to import an old boat into the UK - I am assuming he is a UK resident.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I suspect he will struggle with this one as he sounds like he is breaking all the laws he can in trying to import an old boat into the UK - I am assuming he is a UK resident.

He has been living in the Azores and has Portuguese residency.

The boat will be going to Portugal within the next 18 months, so is in transit.

Tranona

Visit site
He has been living in the Azores and has Portuguese residency.

The boat will be going to Portugal within the next 18 months, so is in transit.
OK, then he can apply for temporary admission for the boat into the UK as a non UK resident. The 18 months is renewable by exiting the UK and re-entering. Should give him time to get it well prepared for the next leg.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

FFS - stop seeing problems where there are none to be seen.
Not everything is about VAT (which seems to be your particular hobby-horse).

A fellow sailor was overdue, possibly missing (or worse) ... but by all means let consider the VAT implications.
There's a time and place for everything, but this wasn't it.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
FFS - stop seeing problems where there are none to be seen.
Not everything is about VAT (which seems to be your particular hobby-horse).
Potentially a real situation and a response to the observation in post#20 - hence my qualification of assumption that he is UK resident. Quickly sorted by further information. Somebody sailing an old ill equipped boat and getting into difficulties on passage is likely to attract attention from authorities when he gets to UK apart from the legal obligations. As he is non UK resident I wonder where the boat is registered?

No problems? Maybe a warm up for when he gets to Portugal and tries to import the boat there when I suspect he will really have to use his skills in navigating his way round officials.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Potentially a real situation and a response to the observation in post#20 - hence my qualification of assumption that he is UK resident. Quickly sorted by further information. Somebody sailing an old ill equipped boat and getting into difficulties on passage is likely to attract attention from authorities when he gets to UK apart from the legal obligations. As he is non UK resident I wonder where the boat is registered?

No problems? Maybe a warm up for when he gets to Portugal and tries to import the boat there when I suspect he will really have to use his skills in navigating his way round officials.

Boat is Swedish so not registered anywhere. There is no compulsory boat registration in Sweden.

As far as I can gather from a garbled Messenger exchange using oilfield wifi both sails are wrapped at the masthead and there is something round the prop, so he currently has no motive power. The master of the vessel he is with won't let anyone go up the mast. Not much chance of a tow from 100 miles out. So he may end up having to scuttle her next time the weather blows up.

Hope not

I think attention from the authorities is the least of his problems atm. .

Tranona

Visit site
Boat is Swedish so not registered anywhere. There is no compulsory boat registration in Sweden.

As far as I can gather from a garbled Messenger exchange using oilfield wifi both sails are wrapped at the masthead and there is something round the prop, so he currently has no motive power. The master of the vessel he is with won't let anyone go up the mast. Not much chance of a tow from 100 miles out. So he may end up having to scuttle her next time the weather blows up.

Hope not

Exactly. but the boat has to be registered to enter countries outside Sweden. There is no compulsory registration in the UK but we still need it to go outside our territorial waters. I hope he gets to land safely but at some point he will have to deal with the formalities and he seems to have "broken" quite a lot of rules. Maybe abandoning the boat will save him a lot of grief in the long run.

dunedin

Visit site

Hope not

Presumably the results of the “garbled message”, but how in heck could one get a non furling jib and a Bermudan mainsail “wrapped at the masthead”? Must be some other explanation surely? I guess you will only learn when back on shore.

But as Tranona says, it is fine that (like the UK) a Swedish boat does not need to be registered when sailing in domestic (Swedish) waters. But, again like the UK, under international law a boat needs register when passes out of domestic waters. And needs to fly the relevant ensign of registration country when entering and leaving any foreign port.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Presumably the results of the “garbled message”, but how in heck could one get a non furling jib and a Bermudan mainsail “wrapped at the masthead”? Must be some other explanation surely? I guess you will only learn when back on shore.

But as Tranona says, it is fine that (like the UK) a Swedish boat does not need to be registered when sailing in domestic (Swedish) waters. But, again like the UK, under international law a boat needs register when passes out of domestic waters. And needs to fly the relevant ensign of registration country when entering and leaving any foreign port.

I think halliards have jumped sheaves and jammed.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
I think halliards have jumped sheaves and jammed.
In which case it is very sensible that the standby vessel skipper strongly discouraged anybody from going up the mast. Clearly issues with the halyards and sheaves - don’t want a body stuck at the top of the mast, along with the sails - or falling to the deck if other maintenance issues.
Not saying this happened here, but it seems so common that people buying boats and setting off immediately on delivery trips end up needing rescued. Let’s hope this skipper didn’t do that, and had a lengthy shake-down cruise in Sweden before departure (though can’t personally see how halyards can jump off sheaves on a checked and maintained rig).

Bouba

Visit site
Freind is getting a ride into Aberdeen today, should be in tomorrow.

The skipper of the standby vessel is keeping the boat on a long tow and keeping an eye on her while arrangements are made for an eventual tow to into shore.

I understand he (master of standby vessel) is now looking at buying a yacht!
I suspect the master of the standby vessel knows the laws of salvage 🤣

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
In which case it is very sensible that the standby vessel skipper strongly discouraged anybody from going up the mast. Clearly issues with the halyards and sheaves - don’t want a body stuck at the top of the mast, along with the sails - or falling to the deck if other maintenance issues.
Not saying this happened here, but it seems so common that people buying boats and setting off immediately on delivery trips end up needing rescued. Let’s hope this skipper didn’t do that, and had a lengthy shake-down cruise in Sweden before departure (though can’t personally see how halyards can jump off sheaves on a checked and maintained rig).
Boat had already done around 200nm up Swedish and down Norwegian coasts before setting off.

I have had a main halliard jump a sheave and jam. Charter boat, fully coded. Wire spliced to multiplait.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
UPDATE
---------

Chief engineer went aboard with a couple of guys this afternoon and freed both halliards, though the jib was sacrificed in the process. Now a working main and choice of genoa or storm jib, so I suspect he will make all plain sail for Peterhead at the earliest opportunity. Weather is very benign (prob not enough wind) for the next 48 hours or so. No luck getting the engine going apparently, but Peterhead is a doddle to sail into.

dunedin

Visit site
Boat had already done around 200nm up Swedish and down Norwegian coasts before setting off.

I have had a main halliard jump a sheave and jam. Charter boat, fully coded. Wire spliced to multiplait.
Yes, wire spliced to rope halyards are the main (only?) cause of halyards jumping off sheaves, as rope is generally much thicker - and less prone to damaging the sheaves and the edge of the sheave box. On only boat that had them I binned the wire halyards at the first opportunity and replaced with cruising dyneema on rope sheaves. Massively better.
Glad that the jammed halyards seem to have now been resolved, albeit temporarily.