Friend overdue

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I now hear that my friend is under tow behind a boat that was towing him that is now itself being towed because the skipper of the towboat wrapped the tow round his prop.

The three boat ensemble is making 6 kts towards Aberdeen. Bill will be cast off before they enter Aberdeen and will make his own way to Peterhead. Or at least, this is my current understanding of the situation.

It just keeps getting weirder.

dunedin

Visit site
I now hear that my friend is under tow behind a boat that was towing him that is now itself being towed because the skipper of the towboat wrapped the tow round his prop.

The three boat ensemble is making 6 kts towards Aberdeen. Bill will be cast off before they enter Aberdeen and will make his own way to Peterhead. Or at least, this is my current understanding of the situation.

Quite a routine cruise then :)

Hopefully reaches Peterhead soon without further excitements

Bouba

Visit site

Let’s see….any sea law (not lore) lawyers here ?….boat A now has boat B as salavage…and also boat C by virtue of its attachment to boat B…or does he ?….does boat B keep C and in fact has traded his off shore oilfield supply vessel for a 27 foot sailboat….or does B sue C (our uninsured (?) friend) for the value of B
You could make a film of this script

Thistle

Visit site

What lights/shapes should each vessel show?

Tranona

Visit site

Just hope nobody tips off the Daily Mail. There has not been a Captain Calamity story for some time.

Humblebee

Visit site
Your friend is OK, that's the main thing. If weather conditions aren't too bad the situation will hopefully get resolved one way or another.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
B ill is getting a tow to just outside Aberdeen tomorrow then will make his way to Peterhead. He was just going to sail in, but the Coastguard is very keen that he has some form of auxiliary propulsion. (His engine is dead).

He anticipates arriving early evening.

Is there anyone in Peterhead who could offer him a tow in, a dinghy with an outboard would do the job.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Bill was dropped off off Aberdeen this morning and is making slow progress in light airs up the coast towards Peterhead. His 'carers' have apparently lost the genoa halliard, so he only has mainsail atm. I;ve spoken to him and we have discussed throwing a weighted line over the crosstrees , tying a prussik knot or similar on the forestay and hosting the storm jib to provide a little extra propulsion.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Your friends attitude does not impress me as someone with experience the RNLI must love people like him who think they know it all

I don't know how you can say anything about his 'attitude' from anything I have posted.

All I see is someone making their way to port under difficult conditions.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
And that's a wrap . . . the coastguard sent the lifeboat out to have a look and Bill was towed in the last few miles, now berthed safe and sound in Peterhead marina and off down town for a couple of ales.

And so a nine and a half day crossing of the North Sea is complete, in the most bizarre fashion.

There is a lot more to this story than has been told here, and it will be told in due course in Bill's own words.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
A friend who is doing a circumnav of the UK saw them come in and has photos of the alongside tow as they berthed him in the marina.
Hopefully Bill can get a couple of ales and a good nights sleep.
Any chance of a copy of those photos?

I can pm you my email address.
Don’t give them to him !!!….sell them to the News of the World

Gustywinds

Visit site
That rag went out of existence in 2011, have you just emerged from a time capsule?
Closed down the re-emerged as the Sun on Sunday.That sand the new press regulation body that is run by the press as much proof as you neeed to see the power Murdoch has over government